CoolBeans

Freefly friendly - what exactly does it mean?

Question

I am piecing equipment for me, brand new jumper. Is it container only that could be 'freefly friendly'? What exactly does that include? 

I'm not planning on sit flying anytime soon, but I'm willing to do multiple back flips on the way down, or maybe aggressive tracking. I think that justifies freefly friendly rig, doesn't it?

Also are there any risks OTHER THAN premature deployment that 'freefly friendly' rig mitigates? 

2 answers to this question

In general, it means pin (main & reserve) protection, bridle protection and riser protection that is secure enough to stay in place during the higher speed and 'unusual' attitudes that freeflying entails. "Unusual" meaning 'other than belly to earth'. 

Premature openings are the main concern, but it's also possible to have the toggles pop loose if the risers aren't properly secured. That can make for an interesting opening. 

One other issue is that the rig needs to stay in place on your back. That's more an issue of harness fit than any actual design feature of the container, although a belly band can help keep in place a rig that doesn't fit quite right. 

Containers have been built to handle freefly speeds and potential issues for about 20 years now.  Something to be aware of? Perhaps, and good on ya for taking the time to learn about gear before buying it.  But "freefly friendly" is not something you need to worry about when buying modern equipment - it's the standard throughout the industry.

Like Joe said, harness fit is something to think about. Leg straps that are too long can slip when sitflying, sometimes ending up at your knees (good times).  A butt bungie can solve the issue fast and cheap, but ideally the leg straps and/or leg pads should be shortened.  If you are buying used, be sure that you will be able to try the rig on. preferably in front of someone who knows how a harness is supposed to fit, before the sale is final.