theplummeter

San Diego 9/12-9/18

I’ll be working in the San Diego area in mid September but I’ll be doing night shifts so I should be free every day from about 10am to 10pm (minus commute to Kearney Mesa).  I was wondering if anyone had current dropzone recommendations or would be interested in jumping together.  I’ll have a car and my rig, feel free to reply or send me a message.

I'd recommend Skydive Elsinore (straight up the 15 freeway-about 55 minutes). I used to go to Skydive San Diego (which is closer) but they now mostly cater to tandems. Also, Elsinore has great load organizing, tons of fun jumpers in all disciplines, and plenty of planes running everyday.

13 hours ago, theplummeter said:

I’m thinking I’ll try to hit San Diego and Oceanside at least once and hit up Perris and Elsinore for longer days.  We’ll see how nice work is to me.

If you are trying San Diego try either early in the morning right after they open or late in the day when tandems have thinned out.

The best DZ in the area is Perris. That's probably the best DZ in the west if not the entire United States. Oceanside is mostly a tandem factory. You're not missing out on anything there. Elsinore is okay, but Perris is right next door and vastly superior IMO.

San Diego has new ownership and the vibe has changed and thats from friends of mine that are long time regulars there and yes they tend to cater to their tandems. Oceanside is pretty much a tandem factory. Very little licensed/fun jumping going on there. They DO not separate hi performance landings from regular landing airspace, and they put 16 people on the PAC which is na bit on the cramped side. Elsinore has been my home dz for 14 years.and I also jump at Perris. They both have their pro's and con's. Comes down to personal preference. If you would like company while jumping send me a pm.

I ended up at Skydive San Diego and Oceanside twice each. Neither were fun jumper meccas but I never had to jump alone and was able to make multiple loads at both places each day.  Both are awesome dropzones with perfect weather and plenty of room for landing and packing.  I dont know that I would take a trip to San Diego exclusively for jumping, but while here they are scenic and fun places to get 3-7 jumps a day and good enough that I didnt feel the need to hang out on highways for several hours to jump in Perris/Elsinore.