1 1
Jackycdesign

Wingsuits For Women

Hello Everyone 

I'm a designer working on a student project specifically designing for women I was wondering for all the women out there participating with wingsuits, what are your problems with your current wingsuit or what do you enjoy about your current one, what do you look for in a wingsuit, and what would you like to see in one. And are there any differences or advantages that women have over men while flying in the wingsuit. 

I personally think skydiving in general is pretty gender neutral.  When it comes to equipment, everything is customizable and built to your size.  Wingsuiting is similar with custom built wingsuits.  Squirrel probably has the best customization for suits with their Super Custom designs. You can pick designs and pretty much any color shade.  It allows for some pretty unique patterns which gives you that personal style.

• Like 1

(edited)

Disadvantage: Without sounding sexist (even though it still might) I think the biggest issue women face flying wingsuits is the comparative lack of upper body strength in regards to men. Obviously there are some badass women out there flying the largest, most highly pressurized race suits, but I’ve seen a whole lot of women mention how hard it is to fly even small or medium-sized suits and how tired their arms get. I don’t think too many women see a lack of cute designs as the biggest hurdle. 

Advantage: many women are smaller framed and can get similar performance from a smaller suit than many men can. 

Edited by skydave89
  • Like 1

I suspect some women may also theoretically have a disadvantage in some performance areas. I think lean muscular guys (as opposed to the majority of dudes who are not really lean or muscular - like me) have more weight in their shoulders and chest that distributes weight further to the front of the wing and gives a more optimal centre of gravity for fast flight. Please bear in mind that's just theoretical and the usual 'wingsuit skills' and experience would account for 99% of usual performance.

I for one would love to see more women in the sport, they are totally badass. :)

Edited by johnmatrix