1 1
ArthurR

Over 55

Question

Hi,

I'm 64 fairly fit and healthy and would like to do the AFF course. Is there anywhere I can do this?

I tried searching the forums but couldn't find anything related.

Regards

Arthur

9 answers to this question

I did my AFF at 59 yrs old with Active Skydiving (Scotty Milne ex Parachute Regiment RSM, Red Devils and UK Champion). Had to go to Spain to do it due to BPA regs.  Scotty has monthly AFF groups which travel to Seville to train.  Just google Active Skydiving or connect with Scotty via Active Skydiving FB page/Messenger and he'll fix you up. Once you have your 'A' licence you are free to jump in the UK. It's just the training element that the BPA won't allow here. I'm still jumping at 68, Did my 698th last week here in the UK.

• Like 1

I guess the British Parachuting Association still refuses to allow older people to jump if they are not already skydivers. Age limit 55 last I heard, with rare exceptions.  I guess the normal answer would be, vacation in Spain or the USA or similar and do ones training there. But I don't know the details of what is typical, and what insurance or medicals they want elsewhere.

A Brit gave some details of the age limit, at least as of 2012, in a post:https://www.dropzone.com/forums/topic/731-elderly-skydivers-/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-4063176

That post also suggested that one doesn't need to be fully licensed elsewhere, before returning home. But it is usually much easier to do at least a significant chunk of one's training at one DZ before switching to a different one. So one might want to at least get through all of the basic AFF stages before returning home.

2 hours ago, pchapman said:

I guess the British Parachuting Association still refuses to allow older people to jump if they are not already skydivers. Age limit 55 last I heard, with rare exceptions.  I guess the normal answer would be, vacation in Spain or the USA or similar and do ones training there. But I don't know the details of what is typical, and what insurance or medicals they want elsewhere.

A Brit gave some details of the age limit, at least as of 2012, in a post:https://www.dropzone.com/forums/topic/731-elderly-skydivers-/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-4063176

That post also suggested that one doesn't need to be fully licensed elsewhere, before returning home. But it is usually much easier to do at least a significant chunk of one's training at one DZ before switching to a different one. So one might want to at least get through all of the basic AFF stages before returning home.

I didn't think to search on "elderly" as I'm only 64. Elderly is a lot older than that!

:O

11 hours ago, Bokdrol said:

I did my AFF at 59 yrs old with Active Skydiving (Scotty Milne ex Parachute Regiment RSM, Red Devils and UK Champion). Had to go to Spain to do it due to BPA regs.  Scotty has monthly AFF groups which travel to Seville to train.  Just google Active Skydiving or connect with Scotty via Active Skydiving FB page/Messenger and he'll fix you up. Once you have your 'A' licence you are free to jump in the UK. It's just the training element that the BPA won't allow here. I'm still jumping at 68, Did my 698th last week here in the UK.

http://www.activeskydiving.co.uk/accelerated-free-fall.html

go for a week, complete the course, come home and jump.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bokdrol said:

Defo recommend Scotty Milne :-)

• Like 2

On 8/26/2019 at 12:05 AM, pchapman said:

I guess the British Parachuting Association still refuses to allow older people to jump if they are not already skydivers. Age limit 55 last I heard, with rare exceptions

That's a bit shit. Should be on a case-by-case basis like any other jumper. 

9 minutes ago, johnmatrix said:

That's a bit shit. Should be on a case-by-case basis like any other jumper. 

And every other country.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Sorry, for the late response, forgot to check back in, must be the Alzheimers kicking in ;)

Thanks for the info on Active Skydiving, I'll give them a ring and see what I can fix up abroad, be nice to escape the weather for a week too :)

• Like 2