1 1
Jumper12345

Rig advice

Get a Racer from "Parachute Labs Inc." in DeLand Florida, the waiting time is only 4 to 6 weeks. And the Racer reserve deployment is the fastest. I’ve had four reserve rides using my Racer, the malfunctions were caused by paid packers. Every reserve deployment was fast. 

(edited)

Buy a container that holds the canopies you are jumping for the next couple hundreds jumps. You can downsize to a 170 in most if not all containers built for a 190. Then when you are ready for a 150, sell it and buy something smaller. If you think you will be downsizing quickly, buy used gear now then buy new custom gear when you are down to a 150.   

Something else to think about - if you are flying a 190 main, why a 176 reserve?  Ever jumped anything that small?  Ever jump a 7 cell? Want your first jump on anything that small to be on your first reserve ride?  Into a shitty landing area cuz someone screwed the spot?

Edited by skybytch
  • Like 2

I don’t mean to be patronising but if you type into google “javelin container sizing chart” etc you get the manufacturer websites up that have the lists. You’ll also be able to see their own additional recommendations, such as on the Javelin site is says you can probably go a size smaller, but not larger.

You can also see what reserves they’ll take. I’m in a similar boat to you and echo Skybytch’s comment- why would you want a small reserve? For instance I’m thinking a V350 over a V351 as while they take the same mains, the 350 takes bigger reserves.

(edited)
14 hours ago, Jumper12345 said:

I am purchasing a new container (jav, icon or vector)

I want to get as much life out of the container as possible before downsizing.

What containers will allow me to pack a 190 main to a 150 main. 176 reserve.

For example j3k container lpv 190/ 170/ zp 150.

I appreciate any advice.

I know it's not one of the brands you are asking about, but I have customers who have used a Wings W-14 for just this exact combination. A PD 176R fits very well for a reserve. It will hold a Sabre 2 190, but it is not an easy pack job. And a new Sabre 2 150 seems to fit reasonably well as well. No LPV canopies were used. I have no real world examples of Javs, or Vectors doing these combinations. That doesn't mean it can't be done.

Edited by gowlerk

On 8/24/2019 at 8:09 PM, skybytch said:

Something else to think about - if you are flying a 190 main, why a 176 reserve?  Ever jumped anything that small?  Ever jump a 7 cell? Want your first jump on anything that small to be on your first reserve ride?  Into a shitty landing area cuz someone screwed the spot?

I'm just now getting back into the sport after almost a decade away.

When I bought a used rig back in 2009, it was pretty easy for me to find something that held a 190 main and a 190 reserve.  

Now that I am looking at used rigs again, I'm finding the vast majority of containers that hold a 210-190 main seem to have a 176 reserve.  It just seems really odd to me.  

Oh, and don't even get me started on the issue of being a 5'4" 165 pound powerlifter trying to find a rig that fits me AND has a 190....but that's a different issue entirely.    

On 8/25/2019 at 8:48 AM, gowlerk said:

I know it's not one of the brands you are asking about, but I have customers who have used a Wings W-14 for just this exact combination. A PD 176R fits very well for a reserve. It will hold a Sabre 2 190, but it is not an easy pack job. And a new Sabre 2 150 seems to fit reasonably well as well. No LPV canopies were used. I have no real world examples of Javs, or Vectors doing these combinations. That doesn't mean it can't be done.

I’m flying a W14 wings right now and I think the 170 sabre2 in it right now fits kinda soft. I was thinking of trying a 150, can you shorten the closing loop enough to maintain decent pin pressure or would it be a belly only rig?

3 hours ago, bdb2004 said:

Oh, and don't even get me started on the issue of being a 5'4" 165 pound powerlifter trying to find a rig that fits me AND has a 190....but that's a different issue entirely

Be sure to check out the Wings.  The W18 and W21 will hold a PD193R and Sabre 2 190 with room to downsize the main.  The standard Wings is a bit shorter top to bottom and fatter front to back than most containers, which can work well for shorter people flying larger canopies as the container won't hang below your butt. 
As for the reserve size, I didn't realize you had experience (most of the time these questions are from very new jumpers). A 176 might be just right for you. PD offers demo reserve canopies set up as mains; you can put a few jumps on one to see what you think. Highly recommend it.

43 minutes ago, skybytch said:

Be sure to check out the Wings.  The W18 and W21 will hold a PD193R and Sabre 2 190 with room to downsize the main.  The standard Wings is a bit shorter top to bottom and fatter front to back than most containers, which can work well for shorter people flying larger canopies as the container won't hang below your butt. 
As for the reserve size, I didn't realize you had experience (most of the time these questions are from very new jumpers). A 176 might be just right for you. PD offers demo reserve canopies set up as mains; you can put a few jumps on one to see what you think. Highly recommend it.

Sorry, I didn't mean to muddy the waters....I'm not the OP, I just jumped in on his thread because his question was very much in line with what's been a struggle for me as I look for new gear.

That said, I'll check out the Wings for sure.  And I'm pretty sure I'm sticking with the 190 reserve, I landed my old 190 reserve once and it was, how shall we say, not very graceful.  I couldn't imagine trying it on a smaller canopy, at 2000' higher elevation then all of my previous jumps.    

9 hours ago, husslr187 said:

I’m flying a W14 wings right now and I think the 170 sabre2 in it right now fits kinda soft. I was thinking of trying a 150, can you shorten the closing loop enough to maintain decent pin pressure or would it be a belly only rig?

I can tell you that it is working for at least one person I know.