2 2
Tin

Wanting to Start a Skydiving Club

Hey guys, 

I am looking for any information on starting a jump club at my local University.  I have been told that back in the mid 60's they had a club that jumped on campus.  By the early to mid 70's it had been disbanded.  I already have a fellow jumper for our faculty and it will be a registered school organization.  If anyone has any insights to the hurdles or any advice that would help get us started it would be a great deal of help.  I'm out of my realm when it comes to this so any knowledge of what other organizations are doing that is working would be a tremendous help.  The goal will be to help people wanting to get their license a way to do it.  I am not currently licensed but I am close to having my A.  About 10 more jumps and I'll be good to go.  I am not wanting to just meet and talk about it but I am wanting to actually jump and share the joy of jumping with like minded people.  We also have 2 instructors that will be willing to come and talk and/or do fjc for the new comers.  Blue skies and safe flying 

(edited)

I'd recommend you speak with the Student's Union at your university, they will know if there are any regulations you need to follow.

Thirty odd years ago I started the Parachute club at Birmingham University in the UK.  I arrived at the University as a post-grad and didn't know anyone so during the first week of term I went into the room in the Students Union where the different societies had their stands, found an empty desk and a piece of paper and wrote "Parachute Club" on it.  It was free to join and I told everyone interested to meet me somewhere for the first meeting the following  Wednesday.  About ten people turned-up and we managed to find a place for everyone on the committee.  The club started off informally, basically helping people get organised for courses and getting to and from the local DZ, sharing cars, etc.  We met up once a week for a drink.  I believe the club is still running 

I guess laws and liabilities have changed and are different from country to country.  Recently my daughter started an association at her Uni in France and boy was that legally heavy with significant personal liability for the president of the association.

So I recommend to see with your student's union what you need to do (and if you can get some money off them) and also find out what personal liability you may be taking on.

Edited by neilmck
Spelling mistake

Hi Tin.

While you're waiting for replies from those with club experience,  check out USPA's online resources for background.   Reach out to them for specific guidance to cover all the bases and avoid reinventing the wheel.   (Wish my college had a club back when pterosaurs roamed the skies. )  Good luck and have fun!

USPA
Starting A College Club
--------------------------------------
College Clubs
Offering the opportunity to skydive through a College Skydiving Club ensures that students benefit from all of USPA’s programs and training standards.

https://uspa.org/Membership/USPA-Programs/College-Clubs
----------------------------------------
http://www.parachutistonline.com/p/Article/college-skydiving-clubs-how-and-why-to-start-one
-----------------------------------------
https://uspa.org/Portals/0/files/Club.Release.doc
------------------------------------------
https://uspa.org/Portals/0/files/college.club.constitution.doc

USPA:
(540) 604-9740    M-F 9am-5pm Eastern    (540) 604-9741    [email protected]

13 hours ago, Tin said:

Hey guys, 

I am looking for any information on starting a jump club at my local University.  I have been told that back in the mid 60's they had a club that jumped on campus.  By the early to mid 70's it had been disbanded.  I already have a fellow jumper for our faculty and it will be a registered school organization.  If anyone has any insights to the hurdles or any advice that would help get us started it would be a great deal of help.  I'm out of my realm when it comes to this so any knowledge of what other organizations are doing that is working would be a tremendous help.  The goal will be to help people wanting to get their license a way to do it.  I am not currently licensed but I am close to having my A.  About 10 more jumps and I'll be good to go.  I am not wanting to just meet and talk about it but I am wanting to actually jump and share the joy of jumping with like minded people.  We also have 2 instructors that will be willing to come and talk and/or do fjc for the new comers.  Blue skies and safe flying 

Hi Tin,

It's sort of a cool idea from back in the day. Unless you also have gear, airlift and a place to land you'll need your local DZ. These day's most places are beyond just selling slots to college club trained jumpers. If they are serious they'll want all of their students trained to the same standard.  So first, go to your local DZ and pitch the idea. Once they're on board you'll be able to structure the other bits.

So my instructors are on board with it already. I'm currently a student myself and they are willing to help with the teaching and educational part as well as the jumping side as well. I'm mainly looking for info on the school side of it. Im in Arkansas at arkansas tech university. 

3 hours ago, Tin said:

So my instructors are on board with it already. I'm currently a student myself and they are willing to help with the teaching and educational part as well as the jumping side as well. I'm mainly looking for info on the school side of it. Im in Arkansas at arkansas tech university. 

I am not trying to be negative but if your 'instructors' do not include the actual DZO, I would suggest that you contact the DZO before you go any further.  Typically, a university club brings nothing to the table except students in need of training.  If you wish to train separately from the DZ and then bring students to the DZ and expect gear and aircraft support, you had best clear that with the DZO beforehand. 

16 hours ago, Tin said:

I was the president of the rocket club at my university. It is different for every university but generally you will need a faculty advisor and a few "officers" for the club to be formed. Then you would be required to meet and do a few things throughout the school year. The requirements should be explained in whatever your university calls their student club program. It would be best to talk to a pre-existing club president as they could likely explain the steps specific to your school. 

On 8/22/2019 at 8:17 PM, Tin said:

We also have 2 instructors that will be willing to come and talk and/or do fjc for the new comers.

On 8/23/2019 at 1:45 PM, michaelmullins said:

If you wish to train separately from the DZ and then bring students to the DZ and expect gear and aircraft support, you had best clear that with the DZO beforehand. 

So, if I may connect the dots for you... (Satellite operation of West Tennessee Skydiving/Mike Mullins Super King Air) - He's saying it would be best to contact him for assistance.