AlMacDonald

Security lopo info

(edited)

i would not bother to replace them.their only purpise is to "create small eddies of airflow" that suppossedly help spread the skirt and speed up inflation.they do contribute to abnormal deployments .strong lopo's are essentially the same canopy but w/o those quick opening bands or "taschengurts" as they are called.if the canopy has a diaper then they are pretty much worthless

Edited by chuteshack
additional information

The old Security 150's 250's and 350's (350 has the diaper)  are dustbin items - probably 40 to 45 years old.  Or older.  No toggles, MA-1 pilot chutes that jump about 18 inches or less...etc... Harnesses that have "L" bars.  Why expend the effort?  Car covers.

• Like 1

(edited)

AlMacDonald should just ground it.its too old to be fucking with and definitely not worth the money to fix it.not to mention that sewing new ones on will weaken that type 3 lower lateral band further cuz now it will haveat minimum twice as many needle holes in it at those points.            ..      and dpreguy...were u around back in the 60 s.? it was either lopo,or hipo(aka cheapo).and one could never confuse p.c. taffetta with either one so thats how the terminalogy was.and i would take an "L" link over a rapid link anyday(overkill i know)

Edited by chuteshack
additional information

Chutshack

Yes I was skydiving in the 60's.  D lic in 1964.  Yes we only had 1.1 oz  C-9's and 1.1 oz 24 foot reserves. (Until Para Commandos' taffeta) Yeah - I agree that the term lopo was sometimes loosely used to distinguish it from cheapo.  1.6 oz. was the first real improvement.  Securities were not up to that standard. Calling it lopo now is an option, but not up to the pilot emergency canopy fabric used now - called lopo.  Right now I wouldn't call the Security canopy fabric lopo.

And yes I agree an L bar is stronger than most Rapides, until there is a side load on the screws.  I also agree with you to retire these rigs.  Some are close to 50 years old.  Yes, ground them.

I am one of those who would prefer the "single T " used by Security and others back then.  Prefer single T  to the 3 panel mods so popular today.  But...they didn't ask me.  Probably turns slower, but more bang for the buck for forward speed and descent rate is slower.

On 8/28/2019 at 12:04 PM, dpreguy said:

Also - why call them Lopos?  The fabric is just the same as any other fabric in the 60's 70's 80's.  Not really low porosity, (unless compared to the 1.1 oz military fabric used back then.)

Which is why they were called lo pos. Less porosity than 80 to 120 cfm military fabric. 

On 8/22/2019 at 12:38 AM, AlMacDonald said:

An older Security lopo crossed my workbench and someone has cut off all the 1” T-3 quick opening bands on the LLB. I’m looking for the correct length. Anyone have this info?  Thx, al

Have to agree sound like a lot of work for an iffy repair on a $100 canopy.