1 1
ryoder

Boeing 757 hard landing in the Azores

On 8/20/2019 at 5:47 AM, ryoder said:

I once spent a week in Tusla, Oklahoma doing flight test on MD-80's.  They did some tests involving the autoland system that I swear didn't flare at all.  We'd hit the runway so hard that the bins would pop open.  (Fortunately it was just the five of us - three pilots, me and a tech.)  For one landing I went to the very back of the plane and sat there for landing.  You could see the fuselage actually bend down a few feet when we hit.  But no permanent damage as far as we could tell.

6 hours ago, billvon said:

I once spent a week in Tusla, Oklahoma doing flight test on MD-80's.  They did some tests involving the autoland system that I swear didn't flare at all.  We'd hit the runway so hard that the bins would pop open.  (Fortunately it was just the five of us - three pilots, me and a tech.)  For one landing I went to the very back of the plane and sat there for landing.  You could see the fuselage actually bend down a few feet when we hit.  But no permanent damage as far as we could tell.

Was that considered normal/acceptable for the autoland system or was that a bug that needed to be improved?

20 hours ago, billvon said:

...  You could see the fuselage actually bend down a few feet when we hit.  But no permanent damage as far as we could tell.

Passengers and their luggage will have quite a bit of weight.

What can be done with (or to) an empty (light) airframe probably cannot be done with a full (heavy) one.

2 hours ago, SethInMI said:

Apparently they are going to fix it, as it is currently in the air to Atlanta:

https://onemileatatime.com/delta-damaged-757/

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n543us#222031b8

Ha! “Were they really able to buff out all the damage” 

Edited by sundevil777

On 9/5/2019 at 4:34 PM, dudeman17 said:

Was that considered normal/acceptable for the autoland system or was that a bug that needed to be improved?

At first they thought our system was interfering with the autoland system.  So we pulled all our equipment and tried again.  Same violent landing.  Then they swapped out the autopilot avionics and voila! no more hard landings.  But it was a tense (and somewhat painful) two days.  For a while I wanted to get one of those super cushioned chairs that truckers use - although we learned that the farther you got from the landing gear, the less the impact.