2 2
elightle

Best Canopy for Smaller Older Jumper

Posted (edited)

Okay, I know I will get many opinions and that's what I'm looking for. Here's my situation. I am an older jumper with lots of jumps but my landings suck. One reason might be that I bought so many used canopies instead of saving my money and buying a new one. Another reason is a bit of anxiety about landings. I had a few bad ones when I was a jumper in the service and a couple surgeries to prove it.

Looking back, maybe the best landings I've had were on a Sabre 135. But those openings are not good for a guy in his 60's.

So, any advice and opinions will be greatly appreciated!

Edited by elightle
  • Like 1

Spectre with Dacron lines. Opens like butter, easy to land.  I'm 54 and previously injured, 135 # body weight flying a 150. One of the best canopies for us old farts.  You can get a demo from PD.

But that's just my opinion. I'd suggest jumping as many different canopies as you are interested in. What is perfect for me might not be perfect for you.

A canopy control course is a GREAT idea. Your landings will improve, and it will likely help your confidence.

• Like 1

Check out the Firebolt from  Parachute Labs in DeLand.

I have a Firebolt 164, best all around canopy I’ve ever jumped. It’s designed for soft openings on heading and easy landings.

You won’t have any problems with a Firebolt of any size.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 3331 said:

Check out the Firebolt from  Parachute Labs in DeLand.

I have a Firebolt 164, best all around canopy I’ve ever jumped. It’s designed for soft openings on heading and easy landings.

You won’t have any problems with a Firebolt of any size.

Are you perhaps biased toward Parachute Lab products in any way?

• Like 1