1 1
wmw999

Diatribe

On 8/25/2019 at 10:21 PM, billvon said:

It means you consider yourself holier than Kallend, and therefore can disregard what he says because he is not a "true believer."  It's a popular position among religious extremists, from the Crusaders to the Spanish Inquisition to Islamic terrorists.  You are in good company.

I do not consider myself more holy than anyone including Kallend. My point is that he tries to use scripture as a textbook. It is the inspired work of the Holy Spirit. Without the recognition of the Holy Spirit, the words lack true edification.

You must be born again of Christ. 

BTW, I have often read Matthew 5-7 and found the guidance personally validating. However, I still need improvement.

14 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

My point is that he tries to use scripture as a textbook. It is the inspired work of the Holy Spirit. Without the recognition of the Holy Spirit, the words lack true edification.

That's what makes Christianity so maddening.  There's all this pick and choose going on from it what the rest of us expect to be some manual, based on the frequency Christians keep referring to it. As soon as you try to pin someone down about something in it, they get all slippery and either say you aren't interpreting it right or that you CAN'T interpret it properly as you haven't accepted Jeebus into your life. So they get to interpret all they want, but you can't pin them down because you're not worthy of doing so. Them Christians are indeed holier than thou.

I've never gotten a decent answer on why the Christian god is such an evil son of a bitch in the Old Testament, according to modern standards of morality that we consider so much more advanced. So is the Old Testament crap to be ignored, or not? (And only revered as a historical artifact.) Why would anyone embrace Christianity with such an insane god to follow? There are enough other gods out there, pick a better one!

2 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

I do not consider myself more holy than anyone including Kallend. My point is that he tries to use scripture as a textbook. It is the inspired work of the Holy Spirit. Without the recognition of the Holy Spirit, the words lack true edification.

Ok, so you’re not holier than he is, but your interpretation of the bible is holier than his is. Yeah, that’s a really clear distinction. 

• Like 2

(edited)
7 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

BTW, I have often read Matthew 5-7 and found the guidance personally validating. However, I still need improvement.

Oh, know that ye must deny reason and rationality and read the magic words in the way of the credulous. For the Oracle has spoken, refuse unquestioning belief at your peril and, verily, ye shall remain dip shits until the end of time. 

Edited by JoeWeber
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

So only a true believer such as yourself is holy enough to understand the Bible.  Kallend is not holy enough, therefore he misunderstands.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

Since I am an atheist and you are not, how can you not be holier than me?

Is there some magic invisible decoder ring that you believers have that enables you to decipher a code embedded in words written in plain English that the rest of us can't understand? 

6 minutes ago, kallend said:

Is there some magic invisible decoder ring that you believers have that enables you to decipher a code embedded in words written in plain English that the rest of us can't understand? 

It's called the Credulity Ring.

For real though: it's just a "Special Pleading" logical fallacy because he cannot defend the indefensible.  So instead, he claims he and his cohorts have a special power that you don't have. 

34 minutes ago, yobnoc said:

It's called the Credulity Ring.

For real though: it's just a "Special Pleading" logical fallacy because he cannot defend the indefensible.  So instead, he claims he and his cohorts have a special power that you don't have. 

Did you not read what Ron said? You cannot understand because the Holy Spirit is not guiding you. In other words the words mean whatever Ron chooses for them to believe.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Did you not read what Ron said? You cannot understand because the Holy Spirit is not guiding you. In other words the words mean whatever Ron chooses for them to believe.

As a former believer, I can definitely say this is all bullshit.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Given that each time Ron makes these pronouncements his target audience gets all riled up is it not trolling? 

I'm not convinced it's trolling.  I think that word gets tossed around too much.  I think Ron is definitely convinced of the things he says, and isn't just saying it to try to rile people up.  True trolling would be saying outrageous things for the sole purpose of riling people up.  Unfortunately, I think these are his actual opinions.

22 hours ago, pchapman said:

That's what makes Christianity so maddening.  There's all this pick and choose going on from it what the rest of us expect to be some manual, based on the frequency Christians keep referring to it. As soon as you try to pin someone down about something in it, they get all slippery and either say you aren't interpreting it right or that you CAN'T interpret it properly as you haven't accepted Jeebus into your life. So they get to interpret all they want, but you can't pin them down because you're not worthy of doing so. Them Christians are indeed holier than thou.

I've never gotten a decent answer on why the Christian god is such an evil son of a bitch in the Old Testament, according to modern standards of morality that we consider so much more advanced. So is the Old Testament crap to be ignored, or not? (And only revered as a historical artifact.) Why would anyone embrace Christianity with such an insane god to follow? There are enough other gods out there, pick a better one!

You must be born again. There is no way to accomplish that change intellectually.

13 hours ago, kallend said:

Yes, but it is not a code. It is the Holy Spirit.

19 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Oh, know that ye must deny reason and rationality and read the magic words in the way of the credulous. For the Oracle has spoken, refuse unquestioning belief at your peril and, verily, ye shall remain dip shits until the end of time. 

I've been blessed for 38+ years. I've had ups and downs like everyone but the Lord has always been there to provide grace, mercy, and life through the trial.