2 2
Viking4455

Coming back after a decade. Anyone else?

I remember a “Viking” from way back. Welcome back.

I suggest not asking a DZ what will be required to jump again until you are actually there on the day you’ll jump, and bring video/photographic evidence of your prior skills. Some might say it doesn’t matter, the only way to get back means a very expensive way, but I think the person that actually makes the call is much more likely to be less strict in person. Be humble but confident in your abilities and they might just require you do a normal jump with an instructor, not be treated like someone that has forgotten how to fall off a horse. That was my experience when coming back.

(edited)

It seems like we are missing information to give you reasonable advice.

How many jumps over how many years did you have when you stopped jumping?

My thoughts would be different for someone who had a fresh A license, or 130 jumps over 3 years, compared to someone who had a D license and 800 jumps under their belt and 4 years in the sport.

Edited by DougH

19 minutes ago, DougH said:

It seems like we are missing information to give you reasonable advice.

How many jumps over how many years did you have when you stopped jumping?

My thoughts would be different for someone who had a fresh a license, or 130 jumps over 3 years, compared to someone who had a D license and 800 jumps under their belt and 4 years in the sport.

Hah ya makes sense. Sorry about that.  I had 185 jumps and a B License when i stopped in Aug of 08.  Most of those jumps were during the last 4 years. 

I recently came back after a 25-year break. I had previously 250 jumps.  I found the free-fall bit is like riding a bike, I just picked-up were I left off.  However flying the canopy was not the same story, I needed some help with that.

I'd go with sundevil777's advice, that is pretty much what I did.  I called the DZ told them the story and asked when would be a good time to pop down to speak with the DZO and what documentation I needed (medical certificate, etc).  I arrived early at the DZ one Saturday morning with my logbook, license and old kit I was hoping to jump (that gave them a laugh), spent some time with an instructor and jumped the same day.

Take it easy, start slow - there'll be some stuff you will have forgotten, other stuff has changed - stay safe.  Above all enjoy yourself and welcome back.

I took approximately a 15 year break from regular jumping, I've been back 14 months.

I had a bunch more jumps and years than you when I quit but I still went through the entire first jump ground course and one check dive.

I would highly recommend you do at least what I did. I was a little shocked at what I had forgotten and coupled with the updated training, it was significant. The DZ safety rules and enforcement are 10 fold what I was familiar with.

I also needed to update my gear to modern standards such as RSL, AAD, and MARD, and BOC, which all required new knowledge training and practice. looking back now, compared to today, jumping was somewhat wild and dangerous in the 80's and 90's.

As for the free fall part, I have subsequently done some coached tunnel in an effort to update my body positions and techniques to the latest efficiency standards.

I suggest don't get overwhelmed with all this info, just get new training and do that first re-currency jump to see if you still like it, then go from there, one jump at a time, just like when you started.

Warning; be prepared to get sucked right back in, it's still a great sport with great people.

Didn't jump for 6 years (medical issues). Got back in the air a couple months ago. Did some ground review and a hop and pop for the first jump, then did a two way with my hubby (AFF I/E).  I was really surprised at how much I had forgotten, but also how much was still there.  Freefall really is like riding a bike; it will all come back quickly.

Happy to see that you're getting back in the air!  Where will you be jumping? 

Yep - 5 months ago, resumed after 15.5 years out, & life's been grand since.  I started at 16; made 280 jumps from 97 - 03, most in 00-01; C-license (was then D-qualified); & was S/L jumpmaster.  Got sick in 03, told I'd never jump again.  Illness was fixed & I was cleared to jump 2 years ago.  3/17 of this year, I returned & have made 40-ish jumps since.  After talking to DZO, S&TA, & a few Instructors, S&TA decided I just needed to do a recurrency jump - I had already been studying most-recent SIM so knew a lot has changed (ie, exit order, minimum opening altitude).  We talked for a while, then we went to 14k (S&TA also Instructor); I did R360/L360/BL/FL/RBR/LBR series, turned/tracked/pulled on time, landed without radio (on my feet), so he cleared me to do whatever I wanted. 

I took it upon myself to progress like a student - ie, started by doing solos & pulling high, because I was not (& am not) in a hurry to get back to focusing on turning points on 4-ways or doing big ways - I'm happy to be back in the air, so I'm consciously progressing slowly.

I would recommend getting somebody to video you (everybody with 200+ jumps has a camera now); most probably will if you pay for their jump & maybe pack job.  Any problems you can't fix on your own, you might get a coach. 

It also helps just having somebody to do a pin check, find out what the load is doing & thus when to board plane, find out ground speed & thus separation time.  For a while, just thinking about the jump was overwhelming for me - by pulling high, I always found a TI or AFF on the load to tell them I was pulling high & make sure I was supposed to board first (yes - & by letting them know, they'll correct other jumpers that give you shit when you hop on plane first); I would get a pin check from them; even though not relevant because I was pulling high, I would ask how much separation time they wanted (which I was told to let pilot know I was pulling high, then ask for ground speed on jump run, which determines separation time).  Any questions on ride to altitude (ie, what landing pattern is), TI/AFF is right there to answer.  Having a coach used to help me with pre-jump nervousness as a student, but it was expensive;  after return this year, pulling high ensured I had Instructor in front of me I could ask questions & remind me "seatbelts/handles."  It also ensured I had the air to myself.

Glad you are returning - the air is wonderful up here!

7 hours ago, skybytch said:

Didn't jump for 6 years (medical issues). Got back in the air a couple months ago. Did some ground review and a hop and pop for the first jump, then did a two way with my hubby (AFF I/E).  I was really surprised at how much I had forgotten, but also how much was still there.  Freefall really is like riding a bike; it will all come back quickly.

Happy to see that you're getting back in the air!  Where will you be jumping? 

Holyshit!  its The Rack! lol   :)

Ya i'm preparing myself for a shock with all the changes.  I'm navy now and getting stationed at Lemoore so home DZ will probly be Taft or Paso with trips to Elsinore when i'm south seeing family

(edited)
4 hours ago, Viking4455 said:

Holyshit!  its The Rack! lol   :)

Ya i'm preparing myself for a shock with all the changes.  I'm navy now and getting stationed at Lemoore so home DZ will probly be Taft or Paso with trips to Elsinore when i'm south seeing family

Lol! Haven't been referred to that way in a long time!

Is there a dz in Paso again? Might have to go down there.

If you get up to Nor Cal, be sure to jump at Skydive California  in Tracy. Let me know and we'll go flail in freefall together.

I promise to never again toss you and your phone into the pool. :D

Edited by skybytch
words

13 hours ago, skybytch said:

Lol! Haven't been referred to that way in a long time!

Is there a dz in Paso again? Might have to go down there.

If you get up to Nor Cal, be sure to jump at Skydive California  in Tracy. Let me know and we'll go flail in freefall together.

I promise to never again toss you and your phone into the pool. :D

Hahahaha It has been a long time!

I'm not sure if Paso is back. I just looked at the DZ location map and saw Paso was right there.  I might be able to make it up to Tracy and we can jump!   Ya thank you for not tossing me in the pool again LOL

Took a 14 year break due to life...Kids etc...back about 2 years now and couldn't be happier. Took Level 1 AFF classroom class then jumped with an instructor. Signed off after that 1 jump. It was really more of a check dive. My flying skills came back quickly, canopy work took a bit longer to get comfortable. Take a canopy course or 2 is my suggestion