2 2
EvaKnoche

Stiletto vs. Zulu question

Hi all!! 

I have the opportunity to purchase a zulu 132. I have been jumping a stiletto 135 at about a 1.25 WL and I have 260 jumps. I was just wondering if the two are similar in terms of flight characteristics. I have not met many people who jump a zulu, but the one person who did loved it, so I am just trying to research a bit more before buying.  I am also a bit unsure about how the zulu 132 will respond at a lighter wingloading. I loved my stiletto, however I had to cut it away and am now in the need for a new canopy. Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you!! 

2 hours ago, the_crane said:

Something to note about Zulu, i was at a boogie a month ago and the Aerodyne rep told me that with Zulu there is a hard requirement of 500 jumps. Of course me being at 300, i was not allowed to jump a Zulu of any size.

This is news to me.  Where do you find the 500 jump minimum ?

3 hours ago, anomie168 said:

This is news to me.  Where do you find the 500 jump minimum ?

I'm sure they will sell it to anyone who orders one without asking questions. But that doesn't make it a good idea. The 500 jump rule is likely a hard rule about who they will allow to demo it. No one wants to see someone they have lent a high performance canopy to get hurt and then have their judgement called into question for giving it to a person who is not experienced enough.

22 hours ago, skyderrill66 said:

if you would bother to read he said the aerodyne rep told him that 

Alright smartass, let me rephrase.  Where would someone else find information regarding an Aerodyne canopy that is apparently company supplied information since it is not posted on their website ?  Many manufacturers post suggested jump numbers right where they describe their equipment or somewhere on their website.  I was looking to independently verify that information.  But you go ahead and believe everything you read on the internet.  

(edited)
18 hours ago, gowlerk said:

I'm sure they will sell it to anyone who orders one without asking questions. But that doesn't make it a good idea. The 500 jump rule is likely a hard rule about who they will allow to demo it. No one wants to see someone they have lent a high performance canopy to get hurt and then have their judgement called into question for giving it to a person who is not experienced enough.

No doubt, this makes sense.  But this is something I have never seen or heard before (with respect to the Zulu) and was looking to find a source for this information.  I jump a Zulu and this is news to me.

Edited by anomie168

On 8/12/2019 at 10:40 PM, EvaKnoche said:

Hi all!! 

I have the opportunity to purchase a zulu 132. I have been jumping a stiletto 135 at about a 1.25 WL and I have 260 jumps. I was just wondering if the two are similar in terms of flight characteristics. I have not met many people who jump a zulu, but the one person who did loved it, so I am just trying to research a bit more before buying.  I am also a bit unsure about how the zulu 132 will respond at a lighter wingloading. I loved my stiletto, however I had to cut it away and am now in the need for a new canopy. Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you!! 

Sorry about the thread drift on this one, I totally missed responding to you.   Going from a Stiletto to a Zulu in the same wingload isn't really changing much.  In fact, I think the stiletto has a more aggressive planform.  I load my Zulu at 1.3, so slightly under the 1.4 that they suggest.  I find the canopy to be very responsive.  It is sensitive to harness input, even at the loading I'm at on a 152.   It has quick openings and all of my slick jumps have been nice, on heading openings.  The Zulu is not recommended as a canopy for wingsuiting...and the only two times I've had linetwists were when I dropped a shoulder deploying.  I have about 150 jumps on this canopy and love it. 

On 8/16/2019 at 2:06 PM, anomie168 said:

Going from a Stiletto to a Zulu in the same wingload isn't really changing much.  In fact, I think the stiletto has a more aggressive planform.  I load my Zulu at 1.3, so slightly under the 1.4 that they suggest. 

This is super helpful! Thank you! I am demoing it this weekend actually, so I will see if I like it before buying. I was hesitant about jumping it at a lower wingloading so I am glad to hear that you have had good luck with it! 

11 hours ago, EvaKnoche said:

This is super helpful! Thank you! I am demoing it this weekend actually, so I will see if I like it before buying. I was hesitant about jumping it at a lower wingloading so I am glad to hear that you have had good luck with it! 

Good Luck and I hope you enjoy it !  Practice your flares and stalls up high, I shortened my brake lines from standard and prefer it (after quite a few jumps).  I have a lot of fun with my Zulu and can't wait to get back under it this weekend !