ItsKevinDuh

Calling all Icon I4/I5 owners and/or experience with!

Hi everyone,

Feedback from current generation Icon I4 & I5 owners, and/or people who have firsthand experience with them would be greatly appreciated.

-          Do you have experience packing an Icon I4 with a Pilot 188(ZPX or UltraLPV) and SmartLPV 175, particularly in a warmer/dryer climate? Both canopy’s fall under “Largest Recommended”. FYI, Spectra 725 lines will be used.

-          Does anyone know the true pack volume of a Pilot 188 in ZPX or UltraLPV fabric?

The reason I ask is because I’ve received mixed signals, definitely torn. I’m located in Southern California and have spoken to my rigger, I was told the pack volume listed on a manufactures website will not be what I should expect here, certainly larger. From my research, I've confirmed the same. However, Aerodyne’s rigger tells me she has not experienced a difference in canopy pack volumes in different climates?

Aerodyne does not list 9-cell Pilot pack volumes on their website for ZPX or UltraLPV. If I wanted a similar comparison, I was told to compare a Pilot7’s pack volume considering they’re standard UltraLPV…but 7-cell?

It appears I’m on the cusp of both I4/I5 containers regarding needs and experience level. My gut tells me filling an I4 with "Largest Recommended" main & reserve could be a nightmare. Thoughts/experiences? 

Thanks in advance.

Hi Kevin, my experience as a rigger from a desert environment is that you (and your rigger) will be happier with your Smart LPV 175 and Pilot 188 ZPX packed into an I-5. An I-4 may be doable, but it will be more difficult to pack and feel like a brick on your back. 

The Ultra LPV 188 would fit in an I4 regardless of where you live. That thing packs almost two sizes smaller than a ZP canopy. There is absolutely a big difference in pack volumes between locations. I've jumped at Perris and my Pilot fit fine, then I went to Deland and the next day it was quite loose with the same closing loop setting. I think that those canopy combinations would fit in both an I4 and an I5. The I5 would be a bit easier to pack probably, but the I4 would be a smaller container and you would not run the risk of the container being too large if you went to a more humid climate. If you plan to downsize at all, I'd get the I4 for sure. If you really want to be sure, you could get the I4 with the Ultra LPV main. That would probably be fine. The D Bag for the I4 and I5 containers is the exact same size actually. They use the same D bag for both sizes, it's just the container is a bit smaller.

I actually just packed a SmartLPV 160 into an Icon I4 last night (in New England), and that was tight. Given I'm not as used to the bulk distribution in a Smart compared to PDR or OP, but a 175 would have had me cursing up and down the loft.

I've also done tight reserve/tight main combos on Vectors, would not recommend.

Thanks guys. Bumping to the top for other I4 owners and riggers chime in regarding their experience with larger set ups? 

As it stands, I’ll probably rock a SmartLPV 160 and Pilot ZPX 188. I would consider an ULPV, but the life span isn’t ideal - from what I’ve read. I’ve never owned or piloted one. 

(edited)

Well I'm packing an I4 with a Smart 175 LPV this weekend so I'll let you know how it goes. I expect it will be fine as the manufacturer says it fits. Regarding the ULPV, the lifespan is fine if you take care of your canopy. The ULPV is only half low bulk material from what I recall. I think the top skin is ZPX and the bottom is FX11. Most serious WS canopies are almost entirely 0-3 CFM material like the Horizon and Epicene which are maybe only 10% ZP. Yet those canopies can last 1,000 jumps. You'll almost certainly downsize before you wear the canopy out. Also the ULPV material is much easier to pack than ZP or ZPX.

Edited by 20kN

15 minutes ago, 20kN said:

Well I'm packing an I4 with a Smart 175 LPV this weekend so I'll let you know how it goes. I expect it will be fine as the manufacturer says it fits. Regarding the ULPV, the lifespan is fine if you take care of your canopy. The ULPV is only half low bulk material from what I recall. I think the top skin is ZPX and the bottom is FX11. Most serious WS canopies are almost entirely 0-3 CFM material like the Horizon and Epicene which are maybe only 10% ZP. Yet those canopies can last 1,000 jumps. You'll almost certainly downsize before you wear the canopy out. Also the ULPV material is much easier to pack than ZP or ZPX.

Yes! Please let me know how it goes, would be appreciated. Where abouts are you located? 

(edited)

We packed the Smart 175 LPV in an I4 and it works fine. It was a bit on the tight side, but nothing crazy (i've seen tighter). I wouldent go any larger, but as Aerodyne states the canopy does fit. I'll send you some pictures.

Edited by 20kN