1 1
FrancoR

Simple Video triming tool needed

I just wrestled with this yesterday. I already had VLC media player installed because it is truly free and has no nag screens and pretty much can play anything. It is not a video editor, but can save portions of any video quickly and easily. It works with any video that it can play. Instructions here:

https://www.vlchelp.com/cut-trim-videos-with-vlc-media-player/

You may already have it installed. If not, go here.

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

Like I said, this is not an editor. It is far simpler but can not do much.

Thanks everyone, i finally found the time to try all three. I lke VLC the best, i already have it but did  not realize it can cut as well. I only have one two  tiny issues to solve.

I want to keep the original  file name and i cannot skip forwar  while  the new video  is recorded even though it is mentiones in the  instruction but i will figure that out.

Thanks  everyone. 

On 8/12/2019 at 2:51 PM, FrancoR said:

Thanks everyone, i finally found the time to try all three. I lke VLC the best, i already have it but did  not realize it can cut as well. I only have one two  tiny issues to solve.

I want to keep the original  file name and i cannot skip forwar  while  the new video  is recorded even though it is mentiones in the  instruction but i will figure that out.

Thanks  everyone. 

Yes, it is simple but very limited. It won’t do either of those things. All it does is record a new file when you push the red button and stops recording when you push it again. You can not skip ahead.

That Win 10 Photos app feature is handy to know about. Although it is set up more for editing videos together, so it takes a few more clicks to get to editing a video -- one can't just drag a video onto the app.

Have used AviDemux but found the interface a little confusing and awkward.

I like Free Video Editor, by DVDVideosoft. Quick and easy trims without re-encoding. Only for single videos, not putting together multiple videos like the Win 10 Photos app can. Great for cutting down the nowadays huge GoPro videos of a jump to keep just the good bits.

Caveats are: 1. De-select the crapware it tries to install when installing the software, 2. Someone online said that the later versions wouldn't save without re-encoding, but the company still states that it does, as one of its features. Not sure what that's about or what is true. I'm running an older version 1.4.4 that works fine.

Win 10 Photos, like most other editors, will re-encode and reduce bitrate of your file.

The only real deal is Avidemux. It navigates by key frames and simply splices the video, no re-encoding done, simply copies a part of the file. I'm using it to cut storage space for tandem and aff videos.

True, the interface is a bit awkward, but if you get the hang of it it's almost as fast as just copying the file. That fast. Here are a few tips:

- for mp4 videos (gopro) select MP4 Muxer under Output Format on the left side, and then go to Edit in the menu bar and press "Save current setting by default", to make that setting stick.

- use Ctrl+O to open a directory. It remembers the path. For instance, use it to open a file on your card reader, and next time you plug in your card, just press Ctrl+O to open the card directory and open the video straight in Avidemux without copying it locally.

- use Ctrl+left/right to navigate key frames. These are the places where you can cut your video from.

- press Ctrl+PgUp/PgDn to set the begin/end markers.

- press Ctrl+S to save the trimmed file on your PC. It will spend no time re-encoding, all the time needed is to write to disk the trimmed file. It again remembers the path.

This way you can use Avidemux to get a trimmed version of your video quicker than most users will take to just copy the original file to their computer.

• Like 1