Christopherg

Tracking

Question

I'm a student on jump 22. Finished Cat D and E saturday. I'm on tracking now. My instructor keeps telling me to just roll .y shoulders forward but not to de arch. I feel if I lift my butt itll be easier to track and roll shoulders forward. I get movement but not fast enough. Should I just lift my butt and de arch and forget about rolling the shoulders? Figure lifting butt will.roll them.forward anyways. I've been tracking away at 5.5k since jump 15 so I can turn 180 and get away but last jump my instructor was about 500 ft away when he pulled. What's a good distance you should track in seconds ? I hold track for 3-5 seconds. 

2 answers to this question

(edited)

Do what they say in this video and you will fly across the sky like a missile. I started to practice this around jump 10. On my 25th jump/A license checkdive, I mastered it (the gif bellow). It feels like pressing hard against the wind.

pplneedme.gif

Edited by Maddingo
  • Like 1

Rolling the shoulders forward has a small effect. It's part of the equation, but there are other factors that are substantially more important. You should not be in a hard arch during a track. You should be flat. Not necessarily dearching aggressively, but certainly not arching either. Your legs should be completely straight and locked out at the knee with your toes pointed. The further you sweep your arms back, the faster forward you'll go. If you want to decrease your forward speed, you can bring the arms back out to the side.