billvon

Tired of being called a racist

Trump supporters are tired of being called racists.   Even if they are.

From the Atlantic, a report on a Trump rally:

Before the rally began, I sat down on the floor of the arena with two women—Roseanna, 50, and Amy, 48—who felt similarly. (Neither woman was comfortable providing her last name for this story.) Roseanna, who wore a red T-shirt, white shorts, and a MAGA hat adorned with multiple buttons, including one featuring the likeness of Hillary Clinton behind bars, had driven an hour and a half from Lexington, Kentucky. She defended Trump’s statements about Baltimore. “He didn’t say nothing about the color of somebody’s skin,” Roseanna said, yet it seemed like everyone was “wishing him toward ‘He’s a bigot.’

“I’m sick to death of it. I have 13 grandchildren—13,” she continued. “Four of them are biracial, black and white; another two of them are black and white; and another two of them are Singapore and white. You think I’m a racist? I go and I give them kids kisses like nobody’s business.”

When I asked Roseanna and Amy whether they would join in a “Send her back!” chant were it to take place that night, both women said no, but out of deference to Trump. “He apologized for that, so I think us as Trump supporters will respect him for that,” Roseanna said. She then shared her thoughts on the chant’s target, Representative Ilhan Omar of Minnesota, who came to America as a refugee from Somalia.

“Look, but she is gonna get—you know, I don’t want her stinkin’ Muslim crap in my country,” Roseanna said.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/08/trump-supporters-called-racists/595333/

So Omar is bringing her stinking Muslim crap into Roseanna's country, which apparently is not Omar's country.  But Roseanna is not a bigot - she kisses black children she is related to!  Even ones of the Singapore race!

2 hours ago, billvon said:

...“He didn’t say nothing about the color of somebody’s skin,” ...

...She then shared her thoughts on the chant’s target, Representative Ilhan Omar of Minnesota, who came to America as a refugee from Somalia.

“Look, but she is gonna get—you know, I don’t want her stinkin’ Muslim crap in my country,” Roseanna said.

So Omar is bringing her stinking Muslim crap into Roseanna's country, which apparently is not Omar's country.  But Roseanna is not a bigot - she kisses black children she is related to!  Even ones of the Singapore race!

I find it both amusing and depressing that these idiots don't seem to realize that 'racism' isn't limited to insults that directly address skin color.

How many white people has Trump directed his insults towards?

Trump supporters are tired of being called racists.   Even if they are.

From the Atlantic, a report on a Trump rally:

Before the rally began, I sat down on the floor of the arena with two women—Roseanna, 50, and Amy, 48—who felt similarly. (Neither woman was comfortable providing her last name for this story.) Roseanna, who wore a red T-shirt, white shorts, and a MAGA hat adorned with multiple buttons, including one featuring the likeness of Hillary Clinton behind bars, had driven an hour and a half from Lexington, Kentucky. She defended Trump’s statements about Baltimore. “He didn’t say nothing about the color of somebody’s skin,” Roseanna said, yet it seemed like everyone was “wishing him toward ‘He’s a bigot.’

“I’m sick to death of it. I have 13 grandchildren—13,” she continued. “Four of them are biracial, black and white; another two of them are black and white; and another two of them are Singapore and white. You think I’m a racist? I go and I give them kids kisses like nobody’s business.”

When I asked Roseanna and Amy whether they would join in a “Send her back!” chant were it to take place that night, both women said no, but out of deference to Trump. “He apologized for that, so I think us as Trump supporters will respect him for that,” Roseanna said. She then shared her thoughts on the chant’s target, Representative Ilhan Omar of Minnesota, who came to America as a refugee from Somalia.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/08/trump-supporters-called-racists/595333/

Read it twice Trump supporters: these are your peeps.

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

I find it both amusing and depressing that these idiots don't seem to realize that 'racism' isn't limited to insults that directly address skin color.

How many white people has Trump directed his insults towards?

How many white people are Ds?

(edited)
15 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

Roughly 43% of white registered voters identify or lean D.  That varies from ~35% for whites with a HS education or less, to ~59% with postgraduate schooling.  Note that Lean D + Lean R only adds up to about 93%, so D/R ratio is higher than that 35% or 59% would imply.  By age, Boomers are very slightly D, Millennials D's have a 17% margin over R's.  Older whites are R by a 9% margin.

Edited by headoverheels

3 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

Quite a few. And Trump has insulted the group on a regular basis. He also has repeatedly attacked HRC, but she was his opponent in the election.

How many white members of congress (House or Senate) has Trump individually attacked? Telling them to "Go back where you came from?" Or criticizing the 'horrible condition' of the districts they represent?
How many minority members has he individually attacked? I do count the attacks against the 4 dark skinned women an 'individual attack' because he specified the 4 individuals.

7 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

In fairness I think this is true of a lot of people.

15 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

When you consider that for a significant number of them, “racist” was people they knew in their parents’ and grandparents’ generation, who would disinherit a child who married a minority, talk about lynching, yell at minorities trying to attend white schools, and all the other stuff that you see in movies like “The Help.” And most of them really aren’t that; it became illegal. 

But they were raised by and among those people, who had to change their behavior and resented it, and did the little things they could still get away with. Doesn’t make it right, but that’s why it takes a couple of generations, not just the passage of a law. 

So modeling, acknowledgment of progress, and pushback are still needed. Such is life. 

Wendy P. 

3 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Everyone is racist, it’s human nature. It’s your behaviour that matters.

I sort of disagree there.  Everyone has a degree of homophily, but that causes an innate shunning of strangers "not like me" - not racism itself.

If kids were raised in an environment where races were wildly disparate with no one race dominating - but there were two accents, one of which was prevalent - then there would almost surely be accent-based bigotry, just because it would be easier to define someone as 'other' that way.  "What, you think I'm a bigot just because I know how to talk correctly, and I don't carelessly mangle the language like some people?"

People will always find a way to be bigots; it's in our nature, and is the sometimes-unfortunate result of the mechanisms we've evolved to make societies possible.  But whether the group excluded is by race, or religion, or language, or accent, or background - that's something that varies based on environment.  Racism is often more common than the rest just because societies where one race dominates are common.

4 hours ago, billvon said:

I sort of disagree there.  Everyone has a degree of homophily, but that causes an innate shunning of strangers "not like me" - not racism itself.

Maybe.

But if you talk like a racist, act like a racist, tweet like a racist, and compliment other racists as "fine people", then you can expect that reasonable people will think you are a racist yourself.

1 hour ago, kallend said:

Maybe.

But if you talk like a racist, act like a racist, tweet like a racist, and compliment other racists as "fine people", then you can expect that reasonable people will think you are a racist yourself.

It seems like for the last 6 months or so every post you make HAS to be directly about Trump, even though the post you’re replying to here was about other people.

The quality of your posts has declined as a result IMO. I miss the old Kallend, rather than this Rush-lite.

3 hours ago, yoink said:

It seems like for the last 6 months or so every post you make HAS to be directly about Trump, even though the post you’re replying to here was about other people.

The quality of your posts has declined as a result IMO. I miss the old Kallend, rather than this Rush-lite.

Wrong.  I started a thread just this week about the garlic shootings that had nothing whatsoever to do with Trump.  I've also posted a lot about Arctic and Antarctic ice and scumbag politicians in general.  So what it "seems" like to you is a figment of your imagination.

However, IMO, Trump is the single biggest disease currently afflicting the USA.

(edited)
57 minutes ago, kallend said:

Wrong.  I started a thread just this week about the garlic shootings that had nothing whatsoever to do with Trump.  I've also posted a lot about Arctic and Antarctic ice and scumbag politicians in general.  So what it "seems" like to you is a figment of your imagination.

However, IMO, Trump is the single biggest disease currently afflicting the USA.

See? You start your post by telling me outright that my own opinion is ‘wrong’. That’s a rush-ism right there. Immediately go on the attack!

My opinion of what I see is my own. You’re welcome to disregard it. 

Like I said, I see a difference in how you post now to compared to how you used to. Maybe it’s me that’s changed. 

Edited by yoink

Sadly we already have an example of a violent right wing terrorist claiming he's not racist - this time after killing 20 people.  Per his manifesto: “In general, I support the Christchurch shooter and his manifesto.  This attack is a response to the Hispanic invasion of Texas. They are the instigators, not me. I am simply defending my country from cultural and ethnic replacement brought on by an invasion.”

He explains he is a hero: "This is just the beginning of the fight for America and Europe. I am honored to head the fight to reclaim my country from destruction."  And he's doing it to preserve his 'way of life' - "I just want to say that I love the people of this country, but god damn most of y’all are just too stubborn to change your lifestyle. So the next logical step is to decrease the number of people in America using resources. If we can get rid of enough people, then our way of life can become more sustainable."  Will he 'decrease' all the people in the US?  No, just non-whites.  He can't kill whites, he explains, because he “can’t bring myself to kill my fellow Americans.”

However, he is outraged by the thought that the media will call him a bigot or a white supremacist: "I know that the media will probably call me a white supremacist anyway."

And it seems like it almost doesn't have to be said, but he also retweeted an "I’m extremely proud to call Trump my president!” message, after he put up a poll asking for people to rate all the ways Trump "has secured the country" so far.

Sadly we already have an example of a violent right wing terrorist claiming he's not racist - this time after killing 20 people.  Per his manifesto: “In general, I support the Christchurch shooter and his manifesto.  This attack is a response to the Hispanic invasion of Texas. They are the instigators, not me. I am simply defending my country from cultural and ethnic replacement brought on by an invasion.”

He explains he is a hero: "This is just the beginning of the fight for America and Europe. I am honored to head the fight to reclaim my country from destruction."  And he's doing it to preserve his 'way of life' - "I just want to say that I love the people of this country, but god damn most of y’all are just too stubborn to change your lifestyle. So the next logical step is to decrease the number of people in America using resources. If we can get rid of enough people, then our way of life can become more sustainable."  Will he 'decrease' all the people in the US?  No, just non-whites.  He can't kill whites, he explains, because he “can’t bring myself to kill my fellow Americans.”

However, he is outraged by the thought that the media will call him a bigot or a white supremacist: "I know that the media will probably call me a white supremacist anyway."

And it seems like it almost doesn't have to be said, but he also retweeted an "I’m extremely proud to call Trump my president!” message, after he put up a poll asking for people to rate all the ways Trump "has secured the country" so far.

Knowing that not a single right wing gun adulator on SC will see how wrong they are no matter how many innocents are killed or ripped apart by assault weapon attacks makes me want to take another six months away. Seriously, you are on the wrong side of history. What will it take to convince you?

On 8/3/2019 at 5:56 AM, JoeWeber said:

Read it twice Trump supporters: these are your peeps.

good grief,  and every utterance from the Dem side of politics is just full of tolerance and sense isnt it?

if you cherry pick long enough,  apply broad labels long enough,  you can "prove" anything you like.  But only if you are that dumb.

11 hours ago, yoink said:

See? You start your post by telling me outright that my own opinion is ‘wrong’. That’s a rush-ism right there. Immediately go on the attack!

My opinion of what I see is my own. You’re welcome to disregard it. 

Like I said, I see a difference in how you post now to compared to how you used to. Maybe it’s me that’s changed. 

Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

16 hours ago, yarpos said:

good grief,  and every utterance from the Dem side of politics is just full of tolerance and sense isnt it?

if you cherry pick long enough,  apply broad labels long enough,  you can "prove" anything you like.  But only if you are that dumb.

When you waddle like a duck, quack like a duck, and hang out with other ducks, don't be surprised if people think you are a duck.

I had a friend who couldn't figure out why everyone called him a racist. Before Trump he was just your funny racist friend. He said, "how can I be a racist? The guy I buy my coffee from is from India, the guy who pumps my gas is an Arab and the girl who takes my money at the car wash is black and I think she's cute." That is Trump logic and the same thing his base thinks. Then agrees with send them back, Mexicans are all drug dealers etc.

42 minutes ago, skyhank said:

I had a friend who couldn't figure out why everyone called him a racist. Before Trump he was just your funny racist friend. He said, "how can I be a racist? The guy I buy my coffee from is from India, the guy who pumps my gas is an Arab and the girl who takes my money at the car wash is black and I think she's cute." That is Trump logic and the same thing his base thinks. Then agrees with send them back, Mexicans are all drug dealers etc.

The same thing has been going on forever.  During the 1800's, plenty of Southerners defended that they were not racist because they took excellent care of their slaves.  During the 1900's, many people said that they were not racist and had no problems with blacks as long as they kept to themselves, and didn't try to marry white women, live in white neighborhoods, use white bathrooms etc.

Everyone is a hero in their own story.

On 8/5/2019 at 10:09 AM, billvon said:

The same thing has been going on forever.  During the 1800's, plenty of Southerners defended that they were not racist because they took excellent care of their slaves.  During the 1900's, many people said that they were not racist and had no problems with blacks as long as they kept to themselves, and didn't try to marry white women, live in white neighborhoods, use white bathrooms etc.

Everyone is a hero in their own story.

It would be nice if one could be actively indifferent to the various lines of demarcation that exist in society and focus on the issues at hand.

If someone is not on the menu, their sexual orientation should not be an issue.

If someone is the best candidate for a position, their sex or ethnicity should not be a concern.

Having said that, if someone chooses to make a big deal of their particular category, I can't see how they can bitch if someone else accepts their decision to be defined by said distinction - it either matters or it doesn't.

There are different calendars for Hindus, Catholics, Buddhists and Muslims.  If availability is critical on the Festival of Baal for a particular position, a candidate who cannot work on said dates should be pointed at a different role.

The goal of 'diversity' as an end in and of itself is absurd.  If you dispute that, I challenge you to wager on an NFL team with quotas for women, short skinny people and a dog's breakfast of ethnicities to win the Super Bowl. I'll gladly take that bet.

The idea that 'everyone is the same' is demonstrable nonsense. By the same token that the genetic differences in canines are on a par with the genetic differences between people, only an idiot would consider a bloodhound to be interchangeable with a Chihuahua, or a Doberman or a Collie or St. Bernard or a basenji and so forth, and the differences are similarly significant between Kikuyu, Arapaho, Ainu and Magyar - or between men and women.

None of this has to do with 'better' or 'worse,' but to challenge the fact that measurable differences exist is an exercise in denial.

Equal rights and responsibilities, regardless of who you are or where you came from?  I'm fine with that.

One group or another getting to play by a different set of rules?  Not so good.

My observation is that the people who define themselves primarily by race are the most likely to call others racist, and those who are focused on their sex are the most likely to accuse others of sexism.  From where I sit, both groups are assholes.

BSBD,

Winsor