3 3
Nataly

"I hope this finds you well" - really??

12 hours ago, oldwomanc6 said:

YUK!!!  Are you my friend???  Do you actually give a fuck about mycat/knitting/plants (I hope not!)??!  You want something from me, otherwise you wouldn't be writing...  So fucking ask!

This is cultural. That was the type of reaction people in my office had.  After a merger at work we had a training on how to work with Indians.  Apparently, as opposed to many people here, Indians do give a fuck about you and if you want to work with them then is a good idea to show them that you give a fuck about them too.  Since we started working with the teams in Indian the work environment here has totally changed.  Colleagues take a genuine interest the lives of others and our bosses are starting to think about what work interests us instead of just blindly giving us orders.

On 8/8/2019 at 12:02 PM, Erroll said:

However, the use of "So" in my example above is not grammatically correct.

I now hate the word "so".

Like the song in Disney's ride, "It's a Small Small world". As long as you never paid any attention to it to start with, it doesn't bother you. Now that it's in my head, I hear it used all the time. "So" As the first word in a reply NOW drives me nuts. so,so,so,so ... so there!

AUHGGGGGGGGG!

• Like 1

On 9/16/2019 at 10:05 AM, adagen said:

It's more than tradition, it's for ease of visualisation. The period has the unique function of separation sentences but it's small and, in handwriting, easily smudged out. The capital has multiple functions, but it's a lot more visible than the period. The combination gives a much more visible signal that a new sentence is starting.

the thing i hate is that microsoft did away with two spaces after a period.  it seems like such a little thing, and platforms like twitter and the 140, then 280, character limit helped.  the thing is, when speed reading, that extra space is needed to signal the end/beginning of a sentence.  it is hard to read really fast without the extra space.

On 12/10/2019 at 2:41 PM, sfzombie13 said:

the thing i hate is that microsoft did away with two spaces after a period.  it seems like such a little thing, and platforms like twitter and the 140, then 280, character limit helped.  the thing is, when speed reading, that extra space is needed to signal the end/beginning of a sentence.  it is hard to read really fast without the extra space.

Requirements and usability are not fashionable these days. Why bother checking who needs what. People who are really bothered will let us know and if we feel like it we'll include it in the next, paid for, upgrade. [/sarcasm]

On 12/10/2019 at 8:41 AM, sfzombie13 said:

when speed reading, that extra space is needed to signal the end/beginning of a sentence.  it is hard to read really fast without the extra space.

I'm having a hard time with this statement. The proportional spacing of letters in the digital world helps to read even faster than the old monospacing of typewriters. Used to drive me nuts when a lowercase "i" was jammed between two letters. That would slow me down.  

trust me when i say that the loss of the space slows me down.  i talked to a friend this week and he said the same thing.  the extra space signals the end of a sentence without the need for noticing capitalization, a technique used for speed reading, or at least the technique i was taught.  i write a lot, and most of it is very formal, so when i am amusing myself on the internet, informally, i use no capitalization at all, ever.  i am a touch ocd regarding punctuation and grammar, however, so refuse to not use it correctly, even in informal writing.  hell, i even reply with, "you're welcome" in a text when i get a ty.  if i ever feel the need to abbreviate, i drop vowels, like i learned in the army.

another thing regarding the extra space:  it also helps when there are no capitals to signal the start to the sentence. 

On 12/16/2019 at 8:52 AM, sfzombie13 said:

trust me when i say that the loss of the space slows me down.  i talked to a friend this week and he said the same thing.  the extra space signals the end of a sentence without the need for noticing capitalization, a technique used for speed reading, or at least the technique i was taught.  i write a lot, and most of it is very formal, so when i am amusing myself on the internet, informally, i use no capitalization at all, ever.  i am a touch ocd regarding punctuation and grammar, however, so refuse to not use it correctly, even in informal writing.  hell, i even reply with, "you're welcome" in a text when i get a ty.  if i ever feel the need to abbreviate, i drop vowels, like i learned in the army.

another thing regarding the extra space:  it also helps when there are no capitals to signal the start to the sentence. 

You can blame the loss of the extra space on newspapers.  As news copy is written in a lot of concise, short sentences, an article has a lot of them (fewer participles).  Extra spaces between those sentences adds up to column inches, which ultimately costs money. 

On 12/26/2019 at 8:46 AM, sfzombie13 said:

extra space started disappearing when ms word took it out several years (not sure exactly when) ago. 

wikipedia has a more nuanced review of sentence spacing trends that in the most part precede ms words existence, as well as in general refute your assertion that it was solely ms word that instigated the single space transition.

single spacing between sentences started to be recommended by style guides in the 1980s

i never once noticed it until the late '90s and even word then didn't change the doubles to singles like they do now.  i am curious to what the reason for the change is, as typespace isn't all that valuable any longer and wasn't when the changes were happening.  articles have nearly unlimited room now.