1 1
skyjames

Search function on DZ.com

I am having difficulty finding posts I made before the "new & improved" forum was  launched.

Using the "search" function isn't providing results.

Perhaps this has been asked and answered, but I be dammed if I can find answers using the search box.

I have tried "name that subject" site:dropzone.com on google, which is normally reliable. None of my posts before Jan 2019 show.

If I enter "all posts by skyjames", in search here, or any variant, I only get the same 4 or so posts, I know there are many more.

For instance: If I enter "Clewiston" and by author (me) I get no results, yet I know I posted content containing that.

Steer me in the right direction  please.

If you go to your profile you can see your activity (posts you've made and commented on). When I looked at my profile I saw posts back several years. 

I have not tried the search function so I don't know why posts are not showing up there.

(edited)
2 hours ago, Chiquita said:

If you go to your profile you can see your activity (posts you've made and commented on). When I looked at my profile I saw posts back several years. 

Correct, if you click "see my activity" or "see their activity" it will show multiple pages of posts spanning multiple years, but in most profiles that I've checked only 5-10% of their total posts are actually shown.  Even your profile shows less than 30 of your 488 total posts - the other 29 pages just consist of pics you've uploaded.

The posts shown in one's profile seem to be the only posts that can be found through the search function, while the other 90% or so don't seem to be indexed and are more difficult to find.

Edited by Coreece

There's a short thread on the Search issue in Suggestions & Feedback. The site admin Meso is aware that the Search functionality sucks at finding all sorts of stuff that still exists on Dropzone from the old days.

I don't see a quick fix happening, but Meso is looking into what can be done.

You will have better luck just by searching on google and including "dropzone.com" in the search.

(edited)
On 7/30/2019 at 12:11 PM, Coreece said:

Even your profile shows less than 30 of your 488 total posts - the other 29 pages just consist of pics you've uploaded.

I didn't even look that far, lol. I had noticed the list of old posts before, but never bothered to look at it.

ETA: Wow that was a trip down memory lane. Those pics are all from boogies about 15+/- years ago. There were several of people that are no longer with us :( but it was great to see their smiling faces again.

And I also figured out how to see (possibly) all of the posts made. After going to your profile and clicking on "See my activity", then go to the left column under Forums. There is Topics and Posts, I have 19 pages of posts which seems about right, and they all seem to be posts. You have 267 pages of Posts

Edited by Chiquita

And I also figured out how to see (possibly) all of the posts made. After going to your profile and clicking on "See my activity", then go to the left column under Forums. There is Topics and Posts

Thank you Chiquita.

That did the trick. I was looking for a jpeg I posted loooooong ago, lost it somewhere during computer upgrades or such.

profile-posts.png

I found the post I was looking for, the image was no longer attached, but does refer to it.. It was a banner Clewiston hung over the main drag (US27 I think) welcoming skydivers. I think it was for the Everglades boogie a few years back. I wanted it for a digital scrap book.