2 2
meat.missile

Skydive or BASE jump?

2 hours ago, yoink said:

It wasn't long ago that people were jumping off cliffs and using skydiving gear. That doesn't make them 'skydives'. They were BASE jumps.

That's a good point. 

I figured I would get hate for "internet whoring" anyway. Lose lose. 

I'll try that next time and see what I get as feedback. 

2 minutes ago, meat.missile said:

So vague. 

Er ..... jumping single-canopy rigs - from aircraft - was deemed STUPID back during the 1920s or 1930s.

Those regulations are written in blood!

You may call me grumpy, but I still think that jumping single-canopy rigs - from aircraft - is STUPID.

If the aircraft can lift you high enough to use a reserve, then you are foolish to jump without a reserve.

Is that blunt enough for you?

4 minutes ago, riggerrob said:

Er ..... jumping single-canopy rigs - from aircraft - was deemed STUPID back during the 1920s or 1930s.

Those regulations are written in blood!

You may call me grumpy, but I still think that jumping single-canopy rigs - from aircraft - is STUPID.

Especially since that there are perfectly good BASE systems that can take a reserve.

2 minutes ago, meat.missile said:

BASEr are hard to come by. I cant think of any others. 

No worries.  If you skydive, there are plenty of good skydiving rigs available.  If you BASE, there are plenty of BASE rigs available.  If you want to take a BASE rig out of an airplane, you still have a relatively safe (and legal) option.  If it's too hard for you, then the first two options are still available.

(edited)
44 minutes ago, billvon said:

Not playing this game with you any more.  Do whatever you like, and call your jumps whatever you like.

It's not a game. You can't just say that and provide no details. 

P.S. as this was in Europe, It was relativity safe and legal, but I assume you are talking about in the US. 

Edit: For anyone else reading apparently the BASEr is being manufactured again. 

Edited by meat.missile

18 hours ago, 20kN said:

Mirage makes the W series container which is basically a hybrid between a BASE container and a skydiving container. It accepts BASE mains but with their smallest reserve packing tray so it's legal.

Apex used to make the Sorcerer as well, a two canopy BASE rig with a MARD.  (In fact, IIRC it was the first MARD system out there.)  However as far as I know it was never TSOed.

On 7/29/2019 at 12:46 AM, meat.missile said:

It was $150 and too unsafe to climb due to ice and snow. Also that is a terrible argument. If I go to the heli-boogie, those are still BASE jumps even though there was no climbing. 

That's a fallacy...

I'm kidding with you =)  

But in all seriousness, I don't think Carl Boenish would agree with your definition.  The climb is an integral part of base jumping and is often enjoyed for its own sake, not as just some obstacle to overcome on the way to the "jump off point."

-JD-

Edited by skyfox2007