2 2
meat.missile

Skydive or BASE jump?

When did they add an "H" to "BASE"? (and where would it go? "BAHSE"? :P)

That's a skydive. It's from an aircraft.

It would fall under FAR part 105 in the US, and require rigs with reserves. No clue what the rules are over there, but it's not out of the question for a video like this to result in some consequences, at least in the US.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2019 at 3:54 AM, wolfriverjoe said:

When did they add an "H" to "BASE"? (and where would it go? "BAHSE"? :P)

That's a skydive. It's from an aircraft.

It would fall under FAR part 105 in the US, and require rigs with reserves. No clue what the rules are over there, but it's not out of the question for a video like this to result in some consequences, at least in the US.

It's perfectly legal over there, which is amazing. Dams and D and don't fit in BASE either. I think base gear low pull = BASE jump. 

A dam is a man-built structure. B.

Or it could be considered a (man made) cliff. E.

(Building, Antenna, Span, Earth - Right?)

In any case, no aircraft are involved and the jump is made from the ground.

By definition (both FAA & USPA), jumping from an aircraft is a skydive. I think the FAA calls it an 'intentional parachute jump'. 

(edited)
3 hours ago, Phillbo said:

Heli Base... Not a BASE. It's a skydive. Where did it start? The sky, not a BASE object.

A bunch of rich kids too lazy to climb. Therefore not a BASE jump. Also posted in the DZ forums because it would just get laughed at in the BASE forums.

Edited by gowlerk
  • Like 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

A bunch of rich kids too lazy to climb. Therefore not a BASE jump. Also posted in the DZ forums because it would just get laughed at in the BASE forums.

It was $150 and too unsafe to climb due to ice and snow. Also that is a terrible argument. If I go to the heli-boogie, those are still BASE jumps even though there was no climbing. 

7 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

A dam is a man-built structure. B.

Or it could be considered a (man made) cliff. E.

(Building, Antenna, Span, Earth - Right?)

In any case, no aircraft are involved and the jump is made from the ground.

By definition (both FAA & USPA), jumping from an aircraft is a skydive. I think the FAA calls it an 'intentional parachute jump'. 

We debated if a dam was a B and if heli-BASE was BASE at all, with many people at the pub. No real conclusions were made. 

So far on here is 3-0 for being BASE

Edited by meat.missile

8 hours ago, meat.missile said:

It was $150 and too unsafe to climb due to ice and snow. Also that is a terrible argument. If I go to the heli-boogie, those are still BASE jumps even though there was no climbing. 

Just teasing about the "rich kid" thing. But seriously, the question you are asking can't be serious. You know it is not a BASE jump.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, meat.missile said:

Nope.  BASE starts on a fixed object.  Skydiving starts from an aircraft.  Pretty simple!

And yes, you were too lazy to climb it (probably too cautious as well.)  That's not a bad thing.  But your decision to not climb does not turn it into a BASE jump.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, neilmck said:

rom the final frames I can see in a shadow that you have the camera on the end of a stick on the front of your helmet, but how is the image of the stick removed from the video itself?

It's an effect automatically achieved with a 360° Camera when it's positioned correctly inline with a selfie stick, no post processing necessary.

52 minutes ago, neilmck said:

How did you do the video?  From the final frames I can see in a shadow that you have the camera on the end of a stick on the front of your helmet, but how is the image of the stick removed from the video itself?

GoPro Fusion, the magic software removes the stick. 

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

Just teasing about the "rich kid" thing. But seriously, the question you are asking can't be serious. You know it is not a BASE jump.

It's surprisingly not a settled issue.  We bs'd in the pub for a good hour with other base jumpers. Some thought it was base and some didn't. Some thought a dam was a building and some didn't. Everyone seemed to call it heli-base but the debate was if it is really base or not. One person said "if you need base numbers count it as a base jump. If you need skydives count it as a skydive."

13 hours ago, meat.missile said:

We debated if a dam was a B and if heli-BASE was BASE at all, with many people at the pub. No real conclusions were made. 

So far on here is 3-0 for being BASE

If you use a helicopter to get to the top of a cliff to BASE off of it, that's still a BASE jump. If you jump from the heli, it's a skydive. I'll even argue the "lazy rich kids" comment. Some of those climbs are very difficult. Some places, climbing to the exit point from the landing area is simply impossible and it's a very long drive to get there by road. 

If you jump from a tower that has an elevator to the top, it's still a BASE jump. Climbing or not is not the determining factor. Where you jump from is. 

A dam, regardless of it being a 'building' (man made structure) or a "cliff" (man made one) is still a fixed object. 

And I see it as 1-4 that it's a BASE jump. You are the only one calling it BASE.

(edited)

If the exit is from an aircraft, it is NOT a base jump. A lot of proximity flying is done from helicopters, a lot of times because there is no exit point from the cliff. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not a base jump.

---

I've always thought a dam was more of a Span. It's man-made, not a natural cliff made of E. It's not a B, because a building is an occupied structure in a different, unique, urban environment. A dam is more like a bridge with a structure, and it does in fact 'span' a gorge.

Edited by dudeman17
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Climbing or not is not the determining factor.

You are the one that argued it was, not me. "A bunch of rich kids too lazy to climb. Therefore not a BASE jump." - you

12 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

And I see it as 1-4 that it's a BASE jump. You are the only one calling it BASE.

I'm not convinced one way or another.  

As for a Dam being a "B" the BASE number gods have spoken and it is not a "B". They say it is more like a man made cliff.

It's a skydive. Of course it is. You jumped out of a helicopter...

I've jumped out of a number of helicoptors and none of those were BASE jumps either. I don't understand how this is even a question?

No matter how much you want to call it a BASE jump it isn't one. If any BASE jumpers were saying it is then they  were humoring you because you were probably being weird and insistent about it.

• Like 1

I can understand a looking for a name for a jump that is from a skydive using base gear and a low opening altitude, just so that you can easily communicate that when talking to people.

I don't know what to call those kind of jumps, using the term Heli-BASE seems to fit the bill...shrug.

3 hours ago, SethInMI said:

I can understand a looking for a name for a jump that is from a skydive using base gear and a low opening altitude, just so that you can easily communicate that when talking to people.

I don't know what to call those kind of jumps, using the term Heli-BASE seems to fit the bill...shrug.

It seems most people call it heli-base. 

4 hours ago, yoink said:

No matter how much you want to call it a BASE jump it isn't one. If any BASE jumpers were saying it is then they  were humoring you because you were probably being weird and insistent about it.

I just don't get what is with the accusatory language coming from people. I was initially told it was a base jump, and as I said before, I am not convinced either way.  

To me, heli-base is using a helicopter to take you to where the BASE jump will happen. A low pull out of a helicopter is a low pull. Using BASE gear makes that a lot safer. 

Regardless, you made a challenging jump. Jump works either way. 

Wendy P. 

4 hours ago, yoink said:

I've jumped out of a number of helicoptors and none of those were BASE jumps either. I don't understand how this is even a question?

Because when you get back to the DZ from a trip overseas, saying "I was on a BASE jumping expedition" sounds cooler than "I made some jumps from a helicopter."

(edited)
5 hours ago, billvon said:

Because when you get back to the DZ from a trip overseas, saying "I was on a BASE jumping expedition" sounds cooler than "I made some jumps from a helicopter."

Dunno. Saying "we did some heli jumps where we did proximity near the Eiger summit" sounds pretty freaking cool to me. 
You can't base proximity at a summit because there's no higher point to exit (Captain Obvious, at your service :P)

Edit to add: Proximity wingsuiting is pretty impressive in its own right. In part because of the danger and risk. Which doesn't change regardless of where the jump begins.

Edited by wolfriverjoe

(edited)

I'd just resolve the debate by calling it what it really is:  cringeworthy internet attention whoring.

If any BASE jumpers were even pretending to be confused about this subject, it was because you were desperate to add it to your "BASE" logbook and the people you were paying to take you on those jumps don't really give a fuck what you want to tell yourself.

BASE jumping is done from fixed objects, not aircraft.

Edited by science303
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Dunno. Saying "we did some heli jumps where we did proximity near the Eiger summit" sounds pretty freaking cool to me. 
You can't base proximity at a summit because there's no higher point to exit (Captain Obvious, at your service :P)

Edit to add: Proximity wingsuiting is pretty impressive in its own right. In part because of the danger and risk. Which doesn't change regardless of where the jump begins.

Yeah, proxy is nuts. I'll stay with the scenic flights. Only did one help jump while I was there. The rest were real E jumps, and a dam. 

4 hours ago, science303 said:

I'd just resolve the debate by calling it what it really is:  cringeworthy internet attention whoring.

If any BASE jumpers were even pretending to be confused about this subject, it was because you were desperate to add it to your "BASE" logbook and the people you were paying to take you on those jumps don't really give a fuck what you want to tell yourself.

BASE jumping is done from fixed objects, not aircraft.

xD I'm sorry someone pooped in your Froot Loops. 

(edited)
21 hours ago, meat.missile said:

It seems most people call it heli-base. 

I don't think there's any such thing as 'Heli-base'. If there was I'd associate it with 'Heli-ski' where a helicopter drops you off at the exit point.

BASE jumping is defined by the object exited from (i.e. a fixed object), not the gear you're using or the height you open at.

It wasn't long ago that people were jumping off cliffs and using skydiving gear. That doesn't make them 'skydives'. They were BASE jumps.

If you'd posted the video on here saying 'look what I got up to!' you'd be getting everyone saying it was a cool jump, but by even trying to raise the question that you were BASE jumping to make it even cooler(!) it just cheapens the whole thing. I think that's why you're getting the push-back.

Edited by yoink