CoolBeans

Rig for new jumper

Hey, at the time of writing this post I have 18 jumps - few done on navigator 260 sqft, most on Icarus Student 220 sqft. I'm 5'11" male and 170 lbs. I'm looking to be renting Icarus Student 220 sqft until I have about 35-40 jumps and then move onto new rig.

I'm thinking that Spectre 190 is perfect fit for me and I would like to jump that for next ~3 years so I'm fine with whole setup being not downsize-ready. Do you have any opinions on other canopies I might want to consider? I know that Sabre2 is very popular but I really want to minimize likelihood of hard openings and that's why I'm looking at Spectre.

I don't want that equipment to be brand new but I won't get into 20 years old stuff either. Happy medium for me is 1-3 years old with 50-150 jumps on it.

I would recommend that you get your B license before buying something. Before that point, you will go through a lot of downsize or you may have issues landing something with a planform that is more performant than a student canopy. If your DZ has rentals with Sabre 2 like canopies, try them, you'll make an idea for yourself. The best people that can help with downsize is an instructor that knows you not internet people.

I'm 5'8", 156 lbs and bought a 170 after going through:
240 Navigator
220 Navigator
200 Navigator
210 Sabre 2
190 Sabre 2
170 Pilot 
Look at Brian Germain's downsizing chart

Disclaimer done, here are your options:
9 cells: Pilot, Safire 2,3, Volt are all very similar to a Sabre 2
7 cells: Pilot 7, Storm, Spectre

I would recommend that you get a main that is more toward the 150 jumps. I have 2 canopies, the first one with around 50 jumps when I got it and the second one with 41 jumps. My 50 jump one is starting to pack more easily after I put 30 jumps on it. I don't even want to talk about my 41 jump one, it's almost oily and I know it won't be fun putting that thing in the D-bag until it has 100-150 jumps on it.

The spectre is a good choice, lots of them on the used market and they pack smaller so if you buy a container accordingly, you'll be able to keep it for a long time while you downsize. Keep in mind that you are currently used to 9 cells canopy and switching to a 7 cells can drastically change your landings.

check the compare 4 from PD to see which one you may like most and from there you can make comparison between different brands

https://www.performancedesigns.com/compare4/

I would say, get about 50 or so jumps in, take a canopy course, rent or borrow a few different canopies to try and then you’ll have a better idea of what you’ll want to fly.

When I first tried a pilot 168 I really liked the opening, the light rear riser pressure and flat glide. Once I experience the toggle turns an flare power of the sabre2 170 I quickly forget about the pilot.