1 1
stevo90

Are AFF students allowed to buy gear?

Question

I started my AFF course last week, and I was wondering if students are allowed to buy their own gear?

Not so much as a rig, but goggles, helmet, jumpsuit, ect? I'm not sure if it is a requirement to use my DZ equipment, or if this is a general rule for every DZ as a student. I will ask next time I'm there, but that won't be for another week or so. If there is a general reason why certain gear cannot be purchased, please tell me the reason (just want to learn as much as I can). Any information is appreciated!

5 answers to this question

9 hours ago, stevo90 said:

I started my AFF course last week, and I was wondering if students are allowed to buy their own gear?

Not so much as a rig, but goggles, helmet, jumpsuit, ect? I'm not sure if it is a requirement to use my DZ equipment, or if this is a general rule for every DZ as a student. I will ask next time I'm there, but that won't be for another week or so. If there is a general reason why certain gear cannot be purchased, please tell me the reason (just want to learn as much as I can). Any information is appreciated!

step 1, get licensed. step 2, buy gear. Any questions? Most DZ's will provide ALL equipment needed for students and as stated above, for safety concerns first and foremost.  Gloves and goggles are a good first step.  ASK your instructors NOT the trolls!!! lol

On 7/20/2019 at 9:51 PM, timski said:

step 1, get licensed. step 2,

Step 1; Get licensed, Step 2: buy your reserve first; Step 3; buy the rest of your gear around your reserve. 

• Like 1

On 7/20/2019 at 12:47 PM, stevo90 said:

Sure but there's little point in doing that since what you'll want when you're a student will probably be vastly different than what you want when you have about 50-100 jumps and actually know what's out there.

Focus on the important things and save your money for jumping.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stevo90 said:

There should be no issue with you buying your own goggles, as long as they are actual skydiving goggles.  Also, don't get them with tint.  Instructors want to be able to see your eyes.  As for the helmet, it's likely that the drop zone won't want you to use your own helmet until you are cleared from having to have a radio (the radios are integral to the helmets at my home dz).  As for the jump suit, you'll have to run that by your S&TA, but I don't see a safety reason for them to prohibit you from that.  Altimeters, same thing: run it by your S&TA.  Don't even think about buying your first rig until you're licensed though, and definitely lean on your instructors and the experienced folks to point you in the right direction with any big purchases (altis, rig, suits & clothing, helmet)

• Like 2

(edited)

I use my full face helmet from AFF 1 onwards (the green can on the pic). But don't tell anyone I was not allowed shades though untill off AFF status, but I also did not like them at first. For suits, AFF instructors like to see you in a grippy one. I think you wouldn't be cleared for a FF or some other slick suit for a first few jumps. What if you are one of those crazy back spinners that can't get stable on their own? ;)

Edited by Maddingo