Brillo

Containers that can hold 170-210 mains

Hi all, long time guest lurker, recent member, first time poster.

I’ve been jumping a couple of years averaging about 50 jumps a year, currently B Licence with 110 jumps. Looking to get my first rig now as it’ll save me money on rental and packing long term.

I’ve just downsized to a 210 and plan on jumping that for another 40 jumps which will probably be about a year for me. I’m in no great hurry so will likely then jump a 190 for 75-100 jumps (2-3 years) and then go to a 170.

I may never find myself going below that - I jump for the freefall not the time under canopy, and want canopies that are sporty enough to be fun and cut through the wind, won’t keep me up high for ages, but are big enough to be safe, and controllable enough to get me out of trouble others may cause!

I’ve been looking at loads of different containers and their sizing guides and would appreciate a bit of advice. I know people say that “one size up or down” idea is a myth, but people may have some input.

My question is really is there anything that safely does 170 up to low pack volume 210? Or is it worth staying on rental gear while I’m on a 210 and then get something that does LPV 190 and normal 170?

The only container I can see that might go all the way is a UPT V350 with Pilot 210 ZPX, then a Pulse 190, then a Silhouette 170 for instance. But I don’t expect there’ll be many second hand Pilot 210 ZPXs out there and while I’m going to get a custom container (and probably a newish reserve and AAD), I’m thinking second hand mains until I settle on a final size.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Edited by Brillo

(edited)
11 hours ago, Brillo said:

My question is really is there anything that safely does 170 up to low pack volume 210?

If you're talking about including LPV canopies, than yes. For example, an Aerodyne Icon I5 would probably hold an ULPV 7-cell 210, a ZPX 190 and standard ZP 170. If you're talking about three different sizes of the exact same ZP canopy, than no, not really. For example, no container will do well with both a 210 Sabre 2 and a 170 Sabre 2. You're either going to have a very tight 210 that's going to be a total PIA to pack, or a loose 170.

Edited by 20kN

3 hours ago, 20kN said:

If you're talking about including LPV canopies, than yes. For example, an Aerodyne Icon I5 would probably hold an ULPV 7-cell 210, a ZPX 190 and standard ZP 170. If you're talking about three different sizes of the exact same ZP canopy, than no, not really. For example, no container will do well with both a 210 Sabre 2 and a 170 Sabre 2. You're either going to have a very tight 210 that's going to be a total PIA to pack, or a loose 170.

Thanks for your answer, I’ll look into getting something now then! Yes I’d be happy with low bulk canopies.

interestingly I’ve just seen that the V353 is listed as being able to hold Silhouette 210 (tight), 190 (standard) and 170 (loose). Does anyone have any experience of this?

2 hours ago, Brillo said:

Thanks for your answer, I’ll look into getting something now then! Yes I’d be happy with low bulk canopies.

interestingly I’ve just seen that the V353 is listed as being able to hold Silhouette 210 (tight), 190 (standard) and 170 (loose). Does anyone have any experience of this?

My old javelin fit that range. I think it was a 4k.... maybe

(edited)
2 hours ago, meat.missile said:

My old javelin fit that range. I think it was a 4k.... maybe

I was looking at a J4K too - the Sunpath website says it goes down to 190, but I was wondering if a bigger packing 170 would work. And if so what are the “bigger” 170s?!

Edited by Brillo

6 hours ago, Brillo said:

Yes, UPT has. If they printed it in their specs it means they has actually tried it before they approved it. Remember, the Silhouette is a hybrid canopy and is somewhat low bulk.

10 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Yes, UPT has. If they printed it in their specs it means they has actually tried it before they approved it. Remember, the Silhouette is a hybrid canopy and is somewhat low bulk.

Brilliant thanks. I think UPT will be getting my money then. I have been on Silhouettes since I was on 260s so am happy to stay jumping them all the way down.

41 minutes ago, Brillo said:

Brilliant thanks. I think UPT will be getting my money then. I have been on Silhouettes since I was on 260s so am happy to stay jumping them all the way down.

The flip side is that a 170 Silhouette would be too low bulk. But by the time you are ready for a 170 you will have much more knowledge of canopy characteristics. It sounds like you are on a good path.

(edited)
On 7/21/2019 at 3:35 AM, Brillo said:

I was looking at a J4K too - the Sunpath website says it goes down to 190, but I was wondering if a bigger packing 170 would work. And if so what are the “bigger” 170s?!

Edit: It was a 4k. I had a specter 190-170 with no issues. 

Edited by meat.missile

43 minutes ago, meat.missile said:

I was looking at a J4K too - the Sunpath website says it goes down to 190, but I was wondering if a bigger packing 170 would work.

I have a customer who owns a J4 with a Sabre 2 170. It's very soft, but acceptable. The rig looks very large for a canopy that size. Makes for an easy main pack job.

(edited)

So, I've been in the market for a similar sized rig as well & did some research. Here's what I came up with based on info from the manufacturers' websites (all about 170 to 210). Getting a rigger's professional opinion would be a great idea to confirm, however.

Icon I5
Mirage (G4) M5
Vector V353
Infinity I-45, I-55, I-65, I-65 N, I 74-N (Pilots only apparently for the 170's -- not sure what's specifically different about that canopy's pack volume ...)
Evo Large

Happy hunting.

Edited by bibliwho
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, tmckeage said:

Sorry to Hijack but can someone tell me what the “one size up or down” myth is so I can recognize it in the future?

Your best source of information is with the manufacturer of the container. They will list the type and size of main and reserve that fit in the container. If it's not listed, you contact them to know their recommendation.

"The myth" is that you can usually pack:
1 size bigger = using a low pack volume main or a 7 cell, ex a 168 ZPX in a container made for a 150 ZP
1 size smaller = the container is not as hard as full volume but it's still safe to jump, ex a 135 ZP in a container made for a 150 ZP

The problem is that every container is different and the pack volume of a 230 vs a 190 is a lot bigger than the gap between a 150 vs a 120 even though it's 3 sizes for both.

• Like 1