1 1
omerzitelia

C182P how much fuel are you flying with?

Hi guys! 

I am starting this topic to hear what are different DZs are doing for fuel load on C182.

We are running C182 with O-470 engine at 2000ft DZ on Mogas. We are pretty high and we have a hot summer.

What is the optimal fuel load for a single flight from experience in your areas? Please mention operational conditions.

Edited by omerzitelia

On 7/19/2019 at 8:38 PM, omerzitelia said:

What is the optimal fuel load for a single flight from experience in your areas?

14 CFR § 91.151 - Fuel requirements for flight in VFR conditions

(b) ....to fly after that for at least 20 minutes.

• Like 1

We have a 182D with Texas Skyways O-520 and wing extensions.  1,300ft field elevation and also gets pretty hot here.  I fill up to ~45 total 100LL.  On average we burn ~6-7gal per load.  Flying 4 loads leaves me with VFR fuel reserves while observing the maneuvering unusable fuel amounts.

On 7/22/2019 at 6:21 PM, linebckr83 said:

We have a 182D with Texas Skyways O-520 and wing extensions.  1,300ft field elevation and also gets pretty hot here.  I fill up to ~45 total 100LL.  On average we burn ~6-7gal per load.  Flying 4 loads leaves me with VFR fuel reserves while observing the maneuvering unusable fuel amounts.

Thanks for the feedback! 6-7 gal per load is really low. We are at 9. Load is 4 people (2 tandems usually).

3 hours ago, omerzitelia said:

Thanks for the feedback! 6-7 gal per load is really low. We are at 9. Load is 4 people (2 tandems usually).

That 520 really cut down on our time to climb.  As quick as 13min in the cold weather and more like 17 in the summer.  95+% of our loads are 4 people with roughly half of those loads being 2 tandem pairs.