1 1
Stefan Andersen

Complete Rig

Hello all skydivers

I'm new in the sport with only 50 humps now and i'm looking into buying my own rig. I saw several here on this site with a main of 170sqf I wonder if that is to small for me? i'm 6 foot 3 and 200lbs? If you know anyone whos selling a complete rig in the states please sent me a link or a message!

Thanks

The best people to ask is the instructors that are familiar with your flying abilities. Short answer will likely be it’s to small. With full gear, your wing load is around 1.3. Knowing nothing else about you or your abilities I would suggest a 210-220 range at the minimum. Again talk to your instructors not just random people on the internet.

One other note the title of the post looks like and ad to sell a rig instead of being posted in the classifieds. It happens in this section often enough that this post might be ignored. I almost did anyway 

• Like 1

1st off, a 170 at your experience level is likely too small.

There's a sticky thread in the "Canopy & Swooping" forum with Brian Germain's downsizing chart. It's a good read. 

2nd off, there's lots of places to find a rig. Classifieds on here, FB "buy & sell" groups, gear stores, ect.
But the best place is your local DZ. Put the word out that you are looking for an appropriate rig for a beginner. 

• Like 1

I purchased my rig through Bryan Cavage.  He was extremely helpful throughout the entire process.  You can find him on all the facebook buy/sell groups.  I'm 6'4 225, so I know full well the difficulties of finding a true "big boy" rig. Highly recommend working with him.