1 1
JerryBaumchen

Is stupidity hereditary?

On 7/18/2019 at 12:23 PM, BIGUN said:

We all understand that it may be historical or out of context or unknowing that children are around - but in each case, if it's our kid; we're going to call them on it and ask them to stop.

This is a little off topic, but I have purposely taken a different approach with my children. I don't believe in teaching children by hiding things from them. People are going to curse around them, they need to learn when cursing might be appropriate and more importantly when it isn't appropriate.

That then becomes a good teaching moment, when people curse during inappropriate times.

4 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

his is a little off topic, but I have purposely taken a different approach with my children. I don't believe in teaching children by hiding things from them. People are going to curse around them, they need to learn when cursing might be appropriate and more importantly when it isn't appropriate.That then becomes a good teaching moment, when people curse during inappropriate times.

I agree. I hang around with a bunch of potty-mouth veterans. My little one & I have had the discussion about the difference between profanity and indulging in vulgarities for emphasis.. 

14 hours ago, BIGUN said:

vulgarities for emphasis

I agree with this. Also in the right setting. I have been know to use profanities but I  am not about to do that in a business meeting or when my son was young in a parent teacher conference. I think the ability to turn it off and on is important. And then there is this 

https://www.sciencealert.com/swearing-is-a-sign-of-more-intelligence-not-less-say-scientists 

1 hour ago, Rick said:
15 hours ago, BIGUN said:

vulgarities for emphasis

I agree with this. Also in the right setting. I have been know to use profanities but I  am not about to do that in a business meeting or when my son was young in a parent teacher conference.

I've never thought about swearing in those situations before, but now I'm kind of tempted.  Also, just FYI - kids were never present at the parent-teacher conferences I've attended.

1 hour ago, Rick said:

I think the ability to turn it off and on is important.

I was at park with my 9 year-old step daughter several years ago where a small group of rather liberated redneck teenagers (13-14) were saying shit that even I wouldn't say.  Anyway, I was livid and could feel myself turning red as the pressure built up in my head.  Then, it doesn't matter what one of the kids said next, but I completely lost it for a second, got up and shouted, "watch your FUCKING mouths!"   One adult nodded, another offered a golf-clap and my wife was shaking her head, but also trying to hold back a laugh because she knows how I can get, but I really felt embarrassed - like an idiot.  I said I can't believe I just said that - I wasn't even trying to be funny.  But apparently it worked.

I've always been a bit intrigued how, for the most part, I would almost subconsciously control my tongue depending on who I was with, but for whatever reason, I slipped up twice this month and swore in front of the kid - probably the first time since the park incident above.  I didn't know what to say - I didn't want to just explain it away or give her the impression that it was ok just because I slipped up and made a mistake, so I just let it go and  taking it as a sign that it's becoming to habitual and needs to be toned down a bit elsewhere in my life.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2019 at 5:19 PM, BIGUN said:

I agree. I hang around with a bunch of potty-mouth veterans. My little one & I have had the discussion about the difference between profanity and indulging in vulgarities for emphasis.. 

Brings me back to a "Talk Back" topic about kids at the dropzone . . .