1 1
JerryBaumchen

Is stupidity hereditary?

(edited)

Well, if you only count white, racist, misogynistic males, which I'd guess are the only one he considers 'real' Americans, then he might be right.

Edit to add:

While certain aspects of 'stupidity' are hereditary, stuff like racism and attitudes towards women are more often taught. Like father, like son.

Edited by wolfriverjoe

(edited)
1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

While certain aspects of 'stupidity' are hereditary, stuff like racism and attitudes towards women are more often taught. Like father, like son.

Once when my son was about 10 years he old told young boy next door to go back where he came from. When I heard about it I straightened him out. His mother was an immigrant after all. Not from Pakistan like the neighour, but from Scotland. I made him go over and apologize and I made sure that the family knew he did not learn that sort of thing at home. I did find out that there was another kid across the street who he had learned it from. After I schooled him I never heard anything like that again.

I'm pretty sure Trump's father did not raise his children the same way that I raised mine.

Edited by gowlerk

9 hours ago, gowlerk said:

...I'm pretty sure Trump's father did not raise his children the same way that I raised mine.

Keep in mind that Fred Trump (Donald's father & Eric's grandfather) was arrested at a fight between the KKK and the NYPD. 
As noted in the article, there was no proof he was a member, or indication of why he was arrested.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/donald-trump-father-kkk-1927/

16 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Keep in mind that Fred Trump (Donald's father & Eric's grandfather) was arrested at a fight between the KKK and the NYPD. 
As noted in the article, there was no proof he was a member, or indication of why he was arrested.

Holy shit. Is that the definition of desperation in the dictionary? I saw Bill at a Pride parade. Did you know he was gay? No. No agenda there. <squiggly face>

8 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Holy shit. Is that the definition of desperation in the dictionary? I saw Bill at a Pride parade. Did you know he was gay? No. No agenda there. <squiggly face>

Well, I'm gonna guess that Bill was at the Pride parade to support his friends who are Gay. I don't think he is (married to a woman, couple kids - although that's not definitive).

Was Fred Trump at the riot to 'support' his KKK friends? 

Lots of kids can be raised by horrific parents and turn out ok.

Some cannot.

You seem to ignore a long, long, looooong history of documented racism by Trump. 

3 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

I don't think he is

You and I know that because we know him. How much perpetual hatred among those homophobes [liberals] who don't know him - who wanted to hate him [conservatives]? I would not ignore a "long, long, looooong history of documented racism" but, I will ignore a long, long, loooong history of undocumented accusations.  Every time. 

Chester Hollman was arrested for murder. He was a black man, driving a white SUV in the same neighborhood where someone saw a black man driving a white SUV in the neighborhood where a woman was murdered. Mr. Hollman spent 27 years in prison. 

Moral: You can be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Especially in NYC.    

1 hour ago, BIGUN said:

The sad thing about that is your assumption that "gay" is pejorative.  I thought that in high school; I grew out of it.

2 hours ago, billvon said:

The sad thing about that is your assumption that "gay" is pejorative.  I thought that in high school; I grew out of it.

Question -- is it worse to call a man (or a boy) gay, or call him a girl?

Wendy P. (girl)

Something to consider, Bigun, is that grownups are supposed to be able to modify their behavior as a result of data. If the data is that a word is likely to be offensive to a significant number of people, it probably shouldn't be used, unless one is trying to offend. 

That an entire group of people doesn't count as being necessary to consider (minorities, women, handicapped, Polish, Aggies, whatever) is kind of a sign that either one really is prejudiced, or that one chooses not to be polite, or that one hasn't learned to modify behavior.

The far reaches of PC are where these boundaries are being discussed; living where I do, I see PC very frequently, and it grates. But PC in the 60's was avoiding the n-word, wasn't it?

I would prefer that our leaders show that they're able to modify their behavior to adapt to the times and situations. And in these days of tell-all, it's best probably not to have too much back-room banter, or even DZ banter if you want to be a public figure.

Wendy P.

• Like 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

That an entire group of people doesn't count as being necessary to consider (minorities, women, handicapped, Polish, Aggies, whatever) is kind of a sign that either one really is prejudiced, or that one chooses not to be polite, or that one hasn't learned to modify behavior.

First, let me say that I read a post of yours where you said, "I'm not getting any feedback or replies or.. I wouldn't have come across this post if I hadn't seen a "New Unread" on this thread just before logging out. It depends on a person's notification settings. Something I learned was to highlight even a little bit of their post and select "Quote Selection," so it pings them directly. 

In this thread and the other - I've tried to present some historical, cultural, and rhetorical background, but folks are just angry. We've all grown up. We've all learned a lot. We've all called someone on the carpet. Who we were, what we did, is not who we are today. Little would most on here believe that I wrote numerous articles on cross-cultural communication - as it was called then (much less write the entire program for a university's three hour course for that program). 

To me; it's no different than being around someone who says a cuss word in front of children. We all understand that it may be historical or out of context or unknowing that children are around - but in each case, if it's our kid; we're going to call them on it and ask them to stop.    

Edited by BIGUN
spelling

10 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

To me; it's no different than being around someone who says a cuss word in front of children. We all understand that it may be historical or out of context or unknowing that children are around - but in each case, if it's our kid; we're going to call them on it and ask them to stop.    

Definitely.  Even if there are people who tell us "hey, 'fuck' isn't a curse!  Intercourse is a natural thing to do.  Lots of people say it.  It's a sign of respect to say 'fuck you.' "

And we're going to call them out whether it's our kids or our country they are saying it in front of.

On 7/18/2019 at 2:36 PM, billvon said:

Definitely.  Even if there are people who tell us "hey, 'fuck' isn't a curse!  Intercourse is a natural thing to do.  Lots of people say it.  It's a sign of respect to say 'fuck you.' "

And we're going to call them out whether it's our kids or our country they are saying it in front of.

Duly Noted.

Felt the need to come back and acknowledge this.  

(edited)
On 7/19/2019 at 1:28 AM, wmw999 said:

Question -- is it worse to call a man (or a boy) gay, or call him a girl?

Wendy P. (girl)

That’s an interesting question. I’m not sure if there is a difference. The point of the insult of girl, sissy, cuck, gay is that you are not a complete verile male capable of reproducing and being desirable by the opposite sex. At least that is the way I view it.

Edit to add: After posting this I was doing my Sunday shop and a local indigenous man told me ‘get out the way cocksucker’ because he wanted something that my trolley was blocking. So there is another insult for the list :)

Edited by nigel99

Just now, gowlerk said:

Is it relevant that he is indigenous?

Haha, very very true. As to the validity of the ‘cocksucker’ comment, totally irrelevant.

I will admit I debated leaving the word in prior to posting. I think it’s relevant in that generally speaking there is not a great relationship between indigenous people and others here. It is not uncommon here to get insulted by indigenous people from a specific socio economic group and so that behaviour is kind of accepted where as from someone else I might have said something. It dovetails into what Bigun and others have said in another thread that ‘insults’ within a group can be acceptable, but inappropriate outside the group. I honestly don’t know, maybe that is how this man talks to everyone.

7 hours ago, nigel99 said:

I will admit I debated leaving the word in prior to posting.

Funny, but with no flag I forget your nationality. I thought English because of the use of "trolley" instead of cart, but the indigenous people there are fully assimilated. Except maybe the Cockneys. Now I guess you are either from Oz or are a Kiwi. Two places with relations with the indigenous peoples about as bad as in Canada.

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

Funny, but with no flag I forget your nationality. I thought English because of the use of "trolley" instead of cart, but the indigenous people there are fully assimilated. Except maybe the Cockneys. Now I guess you are either from Oz or are a Kiwi. Two places with relations with the indigenous peoples about as bad as in Canada.

Born in Zimbabwe/Rhodesia, then spent most of my adult life in UK and now live in Aus. The only citizenship I hold is British and I really see the UK as home.

2 minutes ago, nigel99 said:

Born in Zimbabwe/Rhodesia, then spent most of my adult life in UK and now live in Aus. The only citizenship I hold is British and I really see the UK as home.

That means you have seen it from just about every possible angle. From the perspective of a Caucasian I'm assuming.

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 8:31 PM, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/07/17/eric-trump-americans-agree-donald-trump-1417987

Looks like this apple did not fall far from the tree.

'Eric Trump: ‘95 percent’ of Americans agree with my father'

Jerry Baumchen

He's defining "American" kind of like how some Christians define "Christian." As in -- as long as they agree with me, they're (whatever).

Wendy P.

• Like 1

Stupidity is 100% hereditary.

Richard Nixon's popularity was in the mid to high 30s right up until he was forced to resign or be impeached.

That is about the same percentage as tRump consistently maintains.

It appears that the same gullible ignorant swine that loved Nixon reproduced and generated a whole bunch more gullible ignorant swine.

• Like 1

(edited)
On 7/17/2019 at 9:01 PM, wolfriverjoe said:

Well, if you only count white, racist, misogynistic males, which I'd guess are the only one he considers 'real' Americans, then he might be right.

Edit to add:

To answer your question, just look at liberal educators

Edited by rushmc