2 2
yobnoc

Full-face helmets

Has anyone else with a Y Chromosome had issues with the full-face helmets that cover your mouth causing issues with ingrown hairs or acne?  I've never had acne as a condition (besides a couple stray zits as a teenager) but since the season started and I have been wearing my new (used) Phantom V, I've been getting either ingrown hairs or deep zits around the area that the padding covers.  Am I alone on this? 

3 hours ago, yobnoc said:

Has anyone else with a Y Chromosome had issues with the full-face helmets that cover your mouth causing issues with ingrown hairs or acne?  I've never had acne as a condition (besides a couple stray zits as a teenager) but since the season started and I have been wearing my new (used) Phantom V, I've been getting either ingrown hairs or deep zits around the area that the padding covers.  Am I alone on this? 

wash your helmet and your face more.

• Like 1

If I shave with a razor blade and jump or fly in the tunnel, the helmet and suit neck rub against my neck and I get a bit of acne for a couple of days. The area is also itchy. Are you shaving with a razor blade before jumping? Maybe try something that lets the hair a bit longer? I am using for the last couple of years Philips OneBlade, and even though my shave doesn't look as neat as with a razor blade, my skin is much better and I have no issues with the neck of the suit or anything like that.

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 8:56 AM, Deimian said:

If I shave with a razor blade and jump or fly in the tunnel, the helmet and suit neck rub against my neck and I get a bit of acne for a couple of days. The area is also itchy. Are you shaving with a razor blade before jumping? Maybe try something that lets the hair a bit longer? I am using for the last couple of years Philips OneBlade, and even though my shave doesn't look as neat as with a razor blade, my skin is much better and I have no issues with the neck of the suit or anything like that.

Same :-D No shaving on jump days. However, otherwise I don't have problems with anything like that.

To OP: Maybe it's some kind of allergy? Wash the covers from time to time, if possible. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, yobnoc said:

If I switch, I'm going premium - G4 baby

How do you know it is premium? The G4 isn't even out yet, so no one has tried it on unless you are a sponsored athlete or test jumper. Cookie must have some incredible marketing in place for the entire skydiving community to be stoked on this helmet months before it even comes out, but maybe we should wait until we actually get our hands on it before determining that it is the best helmet ever. Don't get me wrong, I like my G3, and the pictures of the G4 look good, but that is all we have at this point- pictures and cool diagrams.

3 hours ago, VTmotoMike08 said:

How do you know it is premium? The G4 isn't even out yet, so no one has tried it on unless you are a sponsored athlete or test jumper. Cookie must have some incredible marketing in place for the entire skydiving community to be stoked on this helmet months before it even comes out, but maybe we should wait until we actually get our hands on it before determining that it is the best helmet ever. Don't get me wrong, I like my G3, and the pictures of the G4 look good, but that is all we have at this point- pictures and cool diagrams.

You're right, and I'm not either of those things.  The thing that Cookie did right was to engineer such a successful helmet (G3) that they've established themselves as the standard-bearer in the community.  So I think the expectation is that this will be the premium helmet to have.  Anything less than that, and it's going to hurt their brand going forward.  Of course I'll wait until I see some of them at my DZ before I throw a cool $440 at it.

3 hours ago, VTmotoMike08 said:

They had them at PIA. They are more comfortable than the G3 and have a removable liner that is easier to wash. On top of that they are impact rated. The only issue with that is drilling it voids the warranty. All of that being said mine is at the painters and I cant wait to get it. 

• Like 1

What exactly to do mean by warranty? I get that it is "impact rated" and that means a lot to some people but that is different than a warranty. Personally, I don't get too excited about the impact rating. All that means is that it passed a particular test. Lack of impact rating doesn't mean that other helmets are useless, it just means that it simply wasn't tested to the same standard. I've found my G3 to be quite adequate without any type of impact rating.

(edited)
On 7/19/2019 at 9:30 PM, yobnoc said:

You're right, and I'm not either of those things.  The thing that Cookie did right was to engineer such a successful helmet (G3) that they've established themselves as the standard-bearer in the community.  So I think the expectation is that this will be the premium helmet to have.  Anything less than that, and it's going to hurt their brand going forward.  Of course I'll wait until I see some of them at my DZ before I throw a cool $440 at it.

Another one preaching about G3 being well engineered while it's not. If you want premium quality it's Tonfly.

Edited by Maddingo

Just now, Maddingo said:

Another one preaching about G3 being well engineered while it's not.

Which helmet would you put up against it in terms of design, versatility, and dependability?  I mean, there's probably a reason that the military chooses to use it, as well as iFly, and that there are more G3's at any given drop zone than any other helmet.

Just now, yobnoc said:

Which helmet would you put up against it in terms of design, versatility, and dependability?  I mean, there's probably a reason that the military chooses to use it, as well as iFly, and that there are more G3's at any given drop zone than any other helmet.

Did you actually try it? Put it on, compared it? I tried G3, Phantom XV, Kiss and the new Tonfly. The first three before I made my purchase.

One reason is sponsorship and great advertisement. It is most popular because of it's price and it came in a period where it surpassed it's competition for a short while, that's it. It has a very thin shell, rubber locking mechanism and is claustrophobic. It fits a certain range of heads well but a lot of people have gaping holes around their chins from what I see in the plane, some have their mouths covered, others not... etc.

Just try them all on and make your own decision at the end. I bet you 20$ that you will be most immpressed with a Tonfly. That thing is amazing, too bad I don't have the funds right now. For the G4, I'll wait for it to hit the market and compare it to the new generation of helmets before making a conclusions. Who knows, I might love it and it will go on my shopping list.

37 minutes ago, Maddingo said:

Did you actually try it? Put it on, compared it? I tried G3, Phantom XV, Kiss and the new Tonfly. The first three before I made my purchase.

One reason is sponsorship and great advertisement. It is most popular because of it's price and it came in a period where it surpassed it's competition for a short while, that's it. It has a very thin shell, rubber locking mechanism and is claustrophobic. It fits a certain range of heads well but a lot of people have gaping holes around their chins from what I see in the plane, some have their mouths covered, others not... etc.

Just try them all on and make your own decision at the end. I bet you 20$ that you will be most immpressed with a Tonfly. That thing is amazing, too bad I don't have the funds right now. For the G4, I'll wait for it to hit the market and compare it to the new generation of helmets before making a conclusions. Who knows, I might love it and it will go on my shopping list.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone who has a 2X, which is what I'd need to try on.  Of course every helmet fits differently; I've definitely heard people say certain helmets don't fit their dome. I do like the look of the Tonfly; I'd definitely be open to trying it on.  But it would have to be leaps and bounds better for me to spend nearly $600 on it.

7 hours ago, VTmotoMike08 said:

What exactly to do mean by warranty? I get that it is "impact rated" and that means a lot to some people but that is different than a warranty. Personally, I don't get too excited about the impact rating. All that means is that it passed a particular test. Lack of impact rating doesn't mean that other helmets are useless, it just means that it simply wasn't tested to the same standard. I've found my G3 to be quite adequate without any type of impact rating.

The G3 and most other skydiving helmets are not impact rated, and they are not made out of any material capable of achieving an impact rating. Impact rated helmets are made out of a substantial layer of expanded polystyrene (Styrofoam) or expanded polypropylene. These materials are capable of absorbing impact forces in a way that other materials cannot. Existing skydiving helmet designs are functionally worthless with regards to actual impacts. Out of curiosity, when you say "I've found my G3 to be quite adequate", do you mean that it helped to prevent or lessen the severity of a TBI after a foolishly low turn or something? Because that's the point of an impact rating, not to provide additional protection from someone's foot on a freefly jump.

(edited)
7 hours ago, VTmotoMike08 said:

I mean the warranty Cookie has for the helmet... not sure what you are looking for there. You are correct that an impact rating doesn't mean it is useless. It just means they aren't as good and in many cases negligible. I make my money with my brain and not my good looks (lol), a concussion or TBI could be the end of my financial stability. 

Edited by meat.missile

That's what gets me- a non-impacted rated helmet is not "negligible". If you were going to get hit in the head with a baseball bat, would you put on your G3 first, or just say "No thanks, this non-impact rated helmet provides negligible protection". It clearly still protects you, just not to the same degree. It's not worthless or for good looks only when it clearly does provide some protection. 

By adequate, I mean that it protects against the issues that I have a better than not chance of encountering, such as feet to the face. 

On 7/22/2019 at 3:18 PM, Maddingo said:

So, update:

I won a raffle today for a brand new G4 and Optima audible.  I'm beyond stoked!  $25 ticket won me like $700 worth of awesomeness!  I'll report back once I fly the helmet B|

23 hours ago, VTmotoMike08 said:

That's what gets me- a non-impacted rated helmet is not "negligible". If you were going to get hit in the head with a baseball bat, would you put on your G3 first, or just say "No thanks, this non-impact rated helmet provides negligible protection". It clearly still protects you, just not to the same degree. It's not worthless or for good looks only when it clearly does provide some protection. 

By adequate, I mean that it protects against the issues that I have a better than not chance of encountering, such as feet to the face. 

If your reading comprehension was better (possibly English isn't your first language) you would understand that I said it is negligible when compared to an impact rated helmet. I can tell that you don't care about about protecting your brain. You care about bumps and scrapes which a non-impact rated helmet is handle well. When it comes to preventing damage to the brain caused by blunt impact like a baseball bat, the ground, or another skydiver, a non-impact rated helmet is not going to substantially limit the amount of force transferred to the brain.