1 1
yobnoc

100th!

If I'm taken out by a "meat missile" and that makes me go low, it is absolutely the wrong move to intentionally go lower.

The flying style of the one with the grey rig is something I've never seen. The elbows close together in front of chest - is that a new thing? It looked like it was being done on the whole swoop down I think.

'Spotting' in the modern age - A couple guys in the door, staring at the light panel inside the door frame. When it turns from red to green, everyone just climbs out. Nobody looks down, checks the spot, looks for air traffic...

---------

"Hey, man, what're the uppers today?"

"Sorry, no drugs allowed."

6 hours ago, dudeman17 said:

'Spotting' in the modern age - A couple guys in the door, staring at the light panel inside the door frame. When it turns from red to green, everyone just climbs out. Nobody looks down, checks the spot, looks for air traffic...

---------

"Hey, man, what're the uppers today?"

"Sorry, no drugs allowed."

How many times do we have to spot? The door had been open and the light red for about 25sec prior to the start of the video. Good point though, but I assure you, we most definitely did take a few good long looks at the spot!

7 hours ago, sundevil777 said:

If I'm taken out by a "meat missile" and that makes me go low, it is absolutely the wrong move to intentionally go lower.

The flying style of the one with the grey rig is something I've never seen. The elbows close together in front of chest - is that a new thing? It looked like it was being done on the whole swoop down I think.

Yeah, first time jumping with that guy. One of the older guys pointed that out to him after we got down. His de-arched body position made the whole round pretty unstable. My understanding of that arm position is that it’s something useful for people who have weakened shoulders, but this isn’t the case for him. Plus, his knees are down.

As for the camera, he went down pretty damn far below, which is why he ended up going to his back, to watch for which direction to track off. We all had good separation at opening.

30 minutes ago, yobnoc said:

As for the camera, he went down pretty damn far below, which is why he ended up going to his back, to watch for which direction to track off. We all had good separation at opening.

Perhaps I'm just being cynical, but it seems that the cool angle from under the formation was just too awesome to not fully explore. You hinted at it in your original post. It is really dangerous to just do that stuff without a plan. From the video, it seems that there was no effort to get a best direction to track, which is still not what that jumper should have been concentrating on.

When low, spend the entire rest of the jump trying to get back up, or at least minimize the vertical separation while keeping sight of the group. That might mean being off to the side of the formation so you can see while on your belly. This puts you in the safest position to eventually track away with the rest of the group, being off to the side and with minimal vertical separation.  Perhaps some can fall slower while on their back, but this one didn't try to fall slow.

On the subject of good separation on opening, there was one person that fell past, and it is hard to tell how close they really were, but it was somewhat close. More concerning is the large vertical separation that existed. I think it is likely that the jumper that fell past on opening had to actively monitor and adjust their track to achieve the horizontal separation (fortunate that they had enough of that skill), and it should be emphasized that you really don't want to be in either role here.

4 hours ago, yobnoc said:

How many times do we have to spot? The door had been open and the light red for about 25sec prior to the start of the video. Good point though, but I assure you, we most definitely did take a few good long looks at the spot!

Right before you climb out take a look (for the airplane you didn't see before.)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, yobnoc said:

Well that's good to hear, and yeah, the video is just a few seconds before exit, but it is kind of funny to watch. But...

4 hours ago, billvon said:

Right before you climb out take a look (for the airplane you didn't see before.)

...Yeah.

I once saw a guy who was already outside the plane floating, duck his head back inside the door to take a last look at the light.

7 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Never post video of a skydive here unless you want it picked apart to the nth degree.

I have to laugh, yobnoc, you do seem to be having a hard time here. Every time you post a video, people do pick it apart. But you do seem to have a good attitude about it, an open mind and a desire to learn. And that's a good thing.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, dudeman17 said:

Well that's good to hear, and yeah, the video is just a few seconds before exit, but it is kind of funny to watch. But...

...Yeah.

I once saw a guy who was already outside the plane floating, duck his head back inside the door to take a last look at the light.

I have to laugh, yobnoc, you do seem to be having a hard time here. Every time you post a video, people do pick it apart. But you do seem to have a good attitude about it, an open mind and a desire to learn. And that's a good thing.

Dude I'm definitely down to learn as much as I can.  I love this sport and the people I've met in it.  It is funny - and I have to keep reminding myself - that people are going to shit on you just as much (actually probably more because it's the internet) on here as they do at the DZ.  Everyone wants to give their opinions, but I'm also part of "everyone."  I just have to remind myself from time to time that some people just have that need to pick other people apart, and we have an overabundance of them in skydiving.  It's cool; I'm certain that there's not a single one of you who I wouldn't gladly jump out of a plane with and slug down beer afterward.  We're all a bunch of assholes.

1 hour ago, yobnoc said:

I have to keep reminding myself - that people are going to shit on you just as much (actually probably more because it's the internet) on here as they do at the DZ.  Everyone wants to give their opinions, but I'm also part of "everyone."  I just have to remind myself from time to time that some people just have that need to pick other people apart

I'm not sure I'd look at it quite like that. I think people are just trying to help with the learning curve, and have a laugh with - not at - you.

1 hour ago, yobnoc said:

Dude I'm definitely down to learn as much as I can.  I love this sport and the people I've met in it.  I'm certain that there's not a single one of you who I wouldn't gladly jump out of a plane with and slug down beer afterward.

Absolutely.

1 hour ago, yobnoc said:

We're all a bunch of assholes.

Double absolutely.

• Like 1