0
winsor

Oppose Equal Pay for U.S. Women's Soccer Team!

Recommended Posts

(edited)
15 minutes ago, winsor said:

Since they're way better, they should get paid way more.

The text of the post clashes with title of the thread, but I suppose you know that. Funny thing about pro sports. It's really show business. The money available to pay the players is directly limited by the number of tickets, the price they sell for, and the price of the TV ads. It has nothing to do with the gender of the performers. Or even their skill.

Edited by gowlerk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

the price of the TV ads. 

Hi Ken,

About 30 yrs ago I was watching an NBA game on tv.  There was the play-by-play guy and his co-hort was Bob Cousy, former Boston Celtic great & Hall of Famer.

The guy asked Cousy what did he think was the biggest difference in the game since he had retired.  Cousy said, 'The salaries.'

Jerry Baumchen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
1 hour ago, winsor said:

Since they're way better, they should get paid way more.

Dude. Performance related pay for all footballers would be AMAZING. 

As a Brit I’ve long complained about the  salaries of football players.

Edited by yoink

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I absolutely agree that the Women's soccer teams should make more but the men's team is simply drawing from a much bigger pot.  Fifa and men's soccer at large is a behemoth albeit, slow moving and fucking boring if you ask me.  Women's soccer is a cheetah, it springs to live, rushes across the screen and ends in a rampage that has everyone saying, "Holy shit that was fucking amazing."  It still doesn't eat as much as an elephant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2019 at 12:48 PM, turtlespeed said:

Hmm - women's volly ballers should make more too.

Just slip some $1 bills into their thong uniforms.

 

On 7/11/2019 at 8:44 PM, winsor said:

Oppose Equal Pay for U.S. Women's Soccer Team!  Since they're way better, they should get paid way more.

That's fine, but they should be informed that by accepting equal or higher pay, they would no longer qualify for the "women and children first" benefits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Coreece said:

That's fine, but they should be informed that by accepting equal or higher pay, they would no longer qualify for the "women and children first" benefits.

I must have missed those benefits in our company's benefits (or any benefits I have seen, really.)  Which benefits would those be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, billvon said:
3 hours ago, Coreece said:

That's fine, but they should be informed that by accepting equal or higher pay, they would no longer qualify for the "women and children first" benefits.

I must have missed those benefits in our company's benefits (or any benefits I have seen, really.)  Which benefits would those be?

Damn, I can't find it in mine either.  What is this world comming to, no more women and children first?!?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This reminds me of a political cartoon during the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver. Canadian female speed skaters and figure skaters and the Canadian Womens’ Hockey Team had just earned gold medals, so the coach of the Canadian Mens’ Hockey Team encouraged them to “skate like girls!”

Hah!

Hah!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, riggerrob said:

This reminds me of a political cartoon during the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver. Canadian female speed skaters and figure skaters and the Canadian Womens’ Hockey Team had just earned gold medals, so the coach of the Canadian Mens’ Hockey Team encouraged them to “skate like girls!”

Hah!

Hah!

That's great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
On 7/11/2019 at 5:44 PM, winsor said:

Since they're way better, they should get paid way more.

There should just be one team in this age of equality. The team should be made up of the best soccer players, male or female. All sports should go that route. 

Edited by SkyDekker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, piisfish said:
1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

There should just be one team in this age of equality. The team should be made up of the best soccer players, male or female. All sports should go that route. 

Yup. Equal pay for equal performance. 

No, if a woman can consistently throw a 95mph fastball and strikeout Mike Trout, or steal a base on Buster Posey, or block Ndamukong Suh, or sack Tom Brady, then I'd pay top dollar to see that, as will millions of others, so she should get paid more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Coreece said:

No, if a woman can consistently throw a 95mph fastball and strikeout Mike Trout, or steal a base on Buster Posey, or block Ndamukong Suh, or sack Tom Brady, then I'd pay top dollar to see that, as will millions of others, so she should get paid more.

That would mean: better performance, better prize money. Pretty similar isn’t it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

There should just be one team in this age of equality. The team should be made up of the best soccer players, male or female. All sports should go that route. 

13 hours ago, Coreece said:

No, if a woman can consistently throw a 95mph fastball and strikeout Mike Trout, or steal a base on Buster Posey, or block Ndamukong Suh, or sack Tom Brady, then I'd pay top dollar to see that, as will millions of others, so she should get paid more.

I'm wondering if these comments were intended as jocular. Realistically of course, we're unlikely to see either of these things. It's an age-old argument and a degree of naivety in ignoring physical gender differences and there should be no stigma to that. Would anyone really find it entertaining to see a female quarterback sacked by a 250 pound male linebacker or be on the receiving end of any substantial sport contact ?  In an era of progressive politics, safe spaces and the 'me too' movement; even the social interactions of genderless team contact sports would be potentially absurd before they even take the field.

However, I do find it curious that chess competitions have gender categories. I was hopeful that this could be an area of equality but no such luck; There are no 'men-only' tournaments but there are 'women-only' tournaments. Not to hijack the thread too much, this topic is discussed here and, yes, high ranking female players are duly noted there.

Referring back to the OP; I watch sports to admire the best skills and to be entertained by spectacular moves, I don't go to 'see my team win'. Winning is just the gravy. I generally expect most sports enthusiasts feel this way and hence this drives the 'economy' of sports. It's fantastic if the women's team genuinely, objectively play better but it's less remarkable if winning their gender category is the only criteria for 'better'. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, piisfish said:
16 hours ago, Coreece said:

No, if a woman can consistently throw a 95mph fastball and strikeout Mike Trout, or steal a base on Buster Posey, or block Ndamukong Suh, or sack Tom Brady, then I'd pay top dollar to see that, as will millions of others, so she should get paid more.

That would mean: better performance, better prize money. Pretty similar isn’t it?

No it means women would most likely get paid more for a similar (or even worse) performance.  Danica Patrick is a perfect example of this:

I Get Paid Better Than Most Men in my Field

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, metalslug said:

Referring back to the OP; I watch sports to admire the best skills and to be entertained by spectacular moves, I don't go to 'see my team win'. Winning is just the gravy. I generally expect most sports enthusiasts feel this way and hence this drives the 'economy' of sports.

Nah, I think most sports are watched either to support a team, or to see if the bet pays off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Nah, I think most sports are watched either to support a team, or to see if the bet pays off.

Or to try and get a view on visually attractive athletes. Both sides. 

Seriously who watches female beach volley for the sport ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the thread has drifted to other sports. . .

I don't see any gender advantage in skydiving.  The best women are as good as the best men, and average women may well be better than average men.  Yet we still have women only categories in world records, etc. and in many of the Mondial events.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2019 at 2:33 PM, SkyDekker said:

There should just be one team in this age of equality. The team should be made up of the best soccer players, male or female. All sports should go that route. 

I hear you and I know some running events to that but they do it because everyone is running together anyway.  You have Open, Men's, Women's, Age brackets, etc.  The problem with team sports is that you'll have the top 5% of women making onto the team, maybe a few of those women actually getting on the field and then you've eliminated the professional path for 95% of female athletes because they're not going to have a women's league in which the best 5% of women aren't even there.  People show up to see the stars, not to see the second best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DJL said:

I hear you and I know some running events to that but they do it because everyone is running together anyway.  You have Open, Men's, Women's, Age brackets, etc.  The problem with team sports is that you'll have the top 5% of women making onto the team, maybe a few of those women actually getting on the field and then you've eliminated the professional path for 95% of female athletes because they're not going to have a women's league in which the best 5% of women aren't even there.  People show up to see the stars, not to see the second best.

I don't disagree with you. But if you want equality, then there shouldn't be men's and women's teams. Once you create those, you have to agree that men and women are not equal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

0