2 2
Sylvie

Ideal body type for skydiving

Question

Hello,
I made my first jump in tamdem 4 days ago. I am still amazed by the sensations that I experienced. 
A crazy idea germinates in my head: what if I did AFF training? However, I read on the internet 
that skidiving is not for all body types. I am a 54 year old woman, I am 5 feet 3 inches tall 
and weigh 140 lbs with a big breast. I'm a little stocky, not slender. Although I'm relatively fit 
and flexible, do you think my square shape is an obstacle to skydiving?
Edited by Sylvie

7 answers to this question

I'm pretty stocky too - 5'4" and a little on the heavy side. I'm also a pretty damn good skydiver. It's much more a mental game than physical. Join us!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sylvie said:

I am a 54 year old woman, I am 5 feet 3 inches tall and weigh 140 lbs with a big breast. I'm a little stocky, not slender. Although I'm relatively fit and flexible, do you think my square shape is an obstacle to skydiving?

No.

• Like 1

(edited)

Big difference between ideal, and manageable, and in my opinion ideal depends on where you are in your skydiving progression.

Shorter stocky people will often have a much easier time with their student jumps. They have less rudder to deal with at a time where it could be described as uncontrolled or minimally controlled rudder. For example my easiest tandem students are short guys with a beer belly. They have a built in arch, I could sleep on the way down.

Your tall lanky student has more control surface, less built in arch, and problems with body position with their legs and arms have a bigger impact on their stability.

As you get your license and move on to group skydiving the lanky ones have more tools in the toolbox in terms of fall rate and body flight, but the right jump suit choices for can narrow the gap for stocky people.

All that being said your body type won't be a problem at all.

Edited by DougH
  • Like 1

Nope, you're fine.  Fitness will always get you through a hot day.  Fittin-this jumpsuit is always an issue after the holidays.

Heavy people will have a problem.  You won't be able to "stay up" with the floaty jumpers.  And they will be unwilling to buy and wear weights to get down and relative with your fall rate.  You'll only be asked to be base, and won't get to dive and fly much.  That dream of exiting last on a big way and flying to an outside dock?   Forget it.  If you wear a big floppy jump suit to slow down, you'll be blamed for everything that goes wrong, with bullshit lines like "putting too much tension" on the formation.

Gather up the fellow 200-pounders and make your own darned jump group.  Floaty people not allowed.