3 3
DougH

Big Way / Slow Fall Tops - request for pictures and design ideas to up the drag

I am thinking about getting a slower jacket to go with a pair of bootie pants that I already have. On my belly I am slightly on the faster side of the fall rate spectrum, being 5'6 175 without gear, and more torso than limbs. The crowd at the DZ is on the skinnier taller side, so my original suit RW suit, a snugger pitts special, is a little too fast when people aren't focusing on arching in the formation.

The pants are Tony Suits so I started playing around with their configuration tool for their Bigway jacket. Unfortunately it looks like they are up to four months out for delivery times with regular jumpsuits, unless you drop an additional 200 hundred on the double top secret rush.

I have access to a talented seamstress, but she is new to making jumpsuits so I would need to come armed with ideas to make the suit slower.

One of the options on the tony suit design was double layered fabric on the arms with a zp lining. 

I am thinking a baggier cut with swoop cords too.

Mostly all 4-ply or suplex with no real spandex to streamline except for a cuff at the waste and cuffs at the wrists.

I am looking for ideas on construction and pictures if anyone could please share.

Thank you!

Before you spend hundreds of dollars and wait months for a custom jumpsuit jacket, or set your seamstress up for hours of exploratory work, try - a sweatshirt. A normal ordinary sweatshirt. The material is very porous, lots of drag. For AFF I've got 3 different sizes. Poke holes in the cuffs to stick your thumbs through and you've got swoop cords. Float for days. Way cheaper than a jumpsuit and you can have it this week.

• Like 1

That is actually a great idea for the interim. I have done that in the past, I probably should have reverted back to my simpler cheaper solution. 

Actually I might combined the two ideas, and have the seamstress reinforce holes around where my regular suits upper grippers are with some binding tape, then I can wear it right over my tighter jumpsuit and not lose the grippers.

On 7/9/2019 at 12:38 AM, dudeman17 said:

Before you spend hundreds of dollars and wait months for a custom jumpsuit jacket, or set your seamstress up for hours of exploratory work, try - a sweatshirt. A normal ordinary sweatshirt. The material is very porous, lots of drag. For AFF I've got 3 different sizes. Poke holes in the cuffs to stick your thumbs through and you've got swoop cords. Float for days. Way cheaper than a jumpsuit and you can have it this week.

Any recommendations besides sweatshirts for jumping in the hotter months? Just imagining hanging around in the loading area & the ride up to altitude while wearing a sweatshirt under an already toasty RW suit.

Good motivation to work on fall rate & range regardless!

22 minutes ago, bibliwho said:

Any recommendations besides sweatshirts for jumping in the hotter months? Just imagining hanging around in the loading area & the ride up to altitude while wearing a sweatshirt under an already toasty RW suit

I certainly understand that one. Being in the loading area and boarding the plane with a lightweight student in mid-August ain't comfortable, but if you need the drag you need the drag. Just explore all the clothing options. Military camo pants are baggy and porous. Oversize long sleeve t-shirts can help. I use all these options for AFF, but as Doug pointed out, if you're doing belly RW then you may need to figure out grippers.

Also, you may have just wrote that wrong, but to clarify, you'd wear the sweatshirt OVER the jumpsuit (or instead of it) not under it. You're not trying to 'puff out' the suit, you're exposing the bagginess and porousness of the sweatshirt to the air.

On 7/8/2019 at 2:02 PM, DougH said:

some suggestions:

Swoop cords are easy to make.  You need some binding tape, some spectra and a sewing machine.  Should take about an hour.  Two loops for thumbs on the end of the cord, three loops inside the jumpsuit to anchor it (usually along the top of the butt seam.)  Tie knots to adjust.

Sleeves are easy to make/buy as well.  And you don't have to put them on until just before exit.

Booties, if you don't already have them, help.  Webbed gloves help you more than you might think because if you stick them out in front of you, you will have to stick your legs out more - and those booties will add a lot of drag.

On 7/8/2019 at 10:38 PM, dudeman17 said:

. Poke holes in the cuffs to stick your thumbs through and you've got swoop cords. Float for days. 

That is a great idea - I don't know why I never thought of that - I fall like a greased safe (short and curvy) and quite often need sweatshirts - and having short arms, the sleeves always pose a challenge to me in keeping them in place. Thanks!!