2 2
Parachut3Panda

Exit help

Question

I'm having trouble with my exits. Floater exits are getting better, diving exits are terrible. I know to present to the relative wind and look at the plane but when time comes, I seem to always forget and look down therefore tumbling on exit. Does anyone have any tips, pointers or different adjustments I can try to help?? 

3 answers to this question

I am not going to give advice on what to do with your body, but I would politely ask someone who is experienced and has a camera to get your exits on video so you can see what it is that you're actually doing.  What I noticed for myself was that rarely does what I think I'm doing with my body position match up with what I'm actually doing with my body position.  Then, you can have a discussion with a knowledgeable person at your DZ and you have the video tool to assist you in recognizing the changes you need to make with respect to your body position.  It was extremely helpful for me to do this with hop n pop exits as well as tracking exits.

2 hours ago, Parachut3Panda said:

I'm having trouble with my exits. Floater exits are getting better, diving exits are terrible. I know to present to the relative wind and look at the plane but when time comes, I seem to always forget and look down therefore tumbling on exit. Does anyone have any tips, pointers or different adjustments I can try to help?? 

Let's see:

Obviously look in the direction of flight; your body tends to align with your head.

I assume you are working on solo exits.  If you are diving generally don't try to look at the plane.  Think about where your body wants to be a quarter second after exit and work on putting it there. 

On a plane with a side exit and large visible landing gear (i.e. most airplanes) try to hit the wheel with your pelvis.  You can't do it but the effort will put you in a good exit position.

It can be hard to get over the attempt to "make yourself flat" after the exit.  Your head is going to go down; let it.  Use your arms to keep it from pitching down too much, and keep your legs tight for the first half second to prevent over-rotation.

There are a number of different techniques given for diving exits, these are only mine. Usually, tumbling on diving exits is caused by trying to get belly to earth too fast.

For students, I usually try this one first.

Left foot in the door, right foot back, body facing the line of flight. Pick a spot on the horizon about 20-30 degrees in back of perpendicular and launch straight out with right hand high, left low. Do not look at the plane, look at the horizon.

Another option.

Left foot on the door frame right foot slightly back, body facing towards the back of the plane at about a 45 degree angle. Pick a spot on the ground about 45 degrees back and 45 degrees out. Dive down, away and back. Try to focus on diving down rather than getting belly to earth for a count of five.

Once you get the feel of the relative wind you’ll wonder what gave you the problem

• Like 1