1 1
fcajump

Cypres in pocket wires first

This is being reposted here from the FB group "Parachute Rigging for Dummies" because I think it would be of use/interest here as well.
I'll start with the original posting below and include the replies from SSK and Airtec
---------------------------
FB User: CrashTallman posted:

Just removed the Cypres from a micro sigma container. The filter was facing the right side, with the wires going into the pouch first. It actually seems to route the excess wires better, but I’ve never seen it done this way in any of the manuals, nor in any rig I’ve ever unpacked. Is this an acceptable method of installing the Cypres AAD?

cypres180.jpg

Edited by fcajump

My personal thoughts:  While I don't do this on any other rigs, I do on one of my own. The cables are too short to make a full 360 around the unit (they "fit" until the freebag goes in and then they are under too much tension. Using no wrap leaves a lot to be stowed, or to provide a snag point. The 180 turn puts just the right amount of cable in the pouch _for_this_rig. As long as the unit is not pressed to the back of the pouch the cables don't have any sharp bends. Orientation of the unit/filter/air-intake is not going to affect the operation.
Now, do NOT get me wrong, I am NOT suggesting to do this on a customer's rig. I believe in following the mfg instructions. 
But I ALSO believe in providing mfg feedback and questioning whether alternative methods are also equally viable. (I have sent this question up the line...)

Reply from AirTec:

We can say what can damage the CYPRES and this should be avoided, and we can say how to handle and use the CYPRES in the correct way, but the installation is actually up to the container and harness manufacturer. And also, we will give suggestio
ns to the H/C manufacturer how the CYPRES setup needs to be positioned in their containers in the best way to get the best possible result and the fastest reserve openings after the cutter activation. 

I also want to raise the awareness of the riggers to think about certain facts / things in order for them to draw the right conclusions and make the right decisions. 

We explained in our rigging tips booklet how to handle excess cable stowage. (page 22) 
https://www.cypres.aero/.../991205_CYPRES_Rigging_Tips.pdf 

However, this is a recommendation and if someone is happy to turn the whole processing unit 180 degrees then it is the riggers responsibility. 
We, from our side can only give suggestions and recommendations. They e.g. can use the rubber band, but they don't have to. 

Turning around the processing unit, shouldn't be a problem in itself, as long as there is no tension of the cables (especially on the exit and entry points) also after the repack is done and all container flaps are closed, but please also consider that in this position, the filter is located on the open mouth of the processing unit pocket and in this way it is not protected very well from dust, dirt, sand or any other debris entering into the reserve container during use or any zero porosity fabric (from who knows where :) will be able to block / clog up the filter hole. 

This is actually the only issue I can think of why I personally would position the filter side towards the inside of the pouch. The filter needs to stay clean in order to have the correct air pressure reading. 
If your rig usually keeps the dirt out of the reserve container then it should be not a problem. 

I hope this helps in order that everybody will make the correct decision. If there are any further questions please let me know.