jiaco

Transferring jumps in the EU to get an A license?

Question

Hello, 

I'm an american currently stationed in Italy with the army. I am going to be starting an AFF course here in Italy and my DZ obviously is not a USPA DZ. Wondering what the process is to be able to count my jumps towards an A license so i can continue to jump when i get sent back to the states. Thanks

4 answers to this question

Well, first off, Parachutist lists 10 DZs in Italy as 'foreign affiliates'. No clue how many total are in Italy, but it seems like you have USPA options.

Second off, log your jumps (I shouldn't have to tell you this). Logged jumps with a verifiable signature count. It may take a phone call or e-mail from your 'future' DZ back to the one in Italy to double check & verify the jumps, but I can't see them not counting.
That 'future' DZ may well require you to repeat a few jumps, to demonstrate that you know what they want you to know.

The 'standardized' AFF program is supposed to address that and it does to a certain extent, but to come from a DZ on a different continent and just 'keep going' is not a realistic expectation. 

14 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Well, first off, Parachutist lists 10 DZs in Italy as 'foreign affiliates'. No clue how many total are in Italy, but it seems like you have USPA options.

Second off, log your jumps (I shouldn't have to tell you this). Logged jumps with a verifiable signature count. It may take a phone call or e-mail from your 'future' DZ back to the one in Italy to double check & verify the jumps, but I can't see them not counting.
That 'future' DZ may well require you to repeat a few jumps, to demonstrate that you know what they want you to know.

The 'standardized' AFF program is supposed to address that and it does to a certain extent, but to come from a DZ on a different continent and just 'keep going' is not a realistic expectation. 

Yes I've got a personal log set up with all my military jumps on it and soon to be civilian jumps. Good info thanks

Not exactly the same situation, but I'm from the UK and currently living in the US. I got my BPA A license before coming out here, and was able to use the jumps I'd already got towards my USPA A license (as there are a few extra requirements for the USPA) when I moved. The instructor just went through my logbook to see what I'd done and what I still needed to do.

One thought - Do you have any idea where you will be once you are back in the states? (I know, the army may not tell you, they may change their mind)

But if you do know where you will be, you might get in touch with the DZs in that area and see what they would want to see and to have you do.