1 1
rugbyfan89

First Rig

So cherry A license jumper looking for advice on a canopy, still doing light wing loading at 1:1 at the most, looking at 210 Pulse or Sabre 2. I like the idea of the well rounded canopy in the Sabre 2, but the flat glide and easy landings of the Pulse along with the low pack volume will allow me to put it in a 170-190 container for future downsizing... any help on a guy who's only really flown rental rigs? They'll be going in a vector 3.

2 minutes ago, rugbyfan89 said:

So cherry A license jumper looking for advice on a canopy, still doing light wing loading at 1:1 at the most, looking at 210 Pulse or Sabre 2. I like the idea of the well rounded canopy in the Sabre 2, but the flat glide and easy landings of the Pulse along with the low pack volume will allow me to put it in a 170-190 container for future downsizing... any help on a guy who's only really flown rental rigs? They'll be going in a vector 3.

I've had very limited experience (Nav, Safire 2, and Volt) but I absolutely love my Volt.  It's got a hella-powerful flare to it, and it's very forgiving while getting flare timing down.  But take it with a grain of salt; I'm a newbie myself and don't have much to compare it to.

Jump them both and decide which you like best.

Don't be tempted to buy a container that will only hold a reserve that is smaller than anything you have jumped , ie keep your reserve close in size to your main. First reserve ride is enough adrenaline without adding in landing the smallest canopy you have ever jumped. Perhaps into a less than ideal place to land.

15 hours ago, skybytch said:

Jump them both and decide which you like best.

Don't be tempted to buy a container that will only hold a reserve that is smaller than anything you have jumped , ie keep your reserve close in size to your main. First reserve ride is enough adrenaline without adding in landing the smallest canopy you have ever jumped. Perhaps into a less than ideal place to land.

yea, right now sized a rig for a 170 main that can hold up to a 190 and will hold a 190 OP reserve. I'm jumping 210s right now and will be right on the downsize train to 190 by the time this thing gets made and delivered. So planning this rig to be my ride for a good while. I'm not trying to jump a napkin into the swoop pond any time soon... or ever. I enjoy the freefall... not trying to worry about landings. 

(edited)

Most mainstream rigs are good, as a first rig I think you should save money on the container as long as it is ff friendly. Rather buy parachutes that are in good condition.

Saying that I've flown Volt's, Sabre 2, Pilot and some other canopies. Since you are interested in a Sabre I should mention it is almost the same as the Volt, save the money get the Volt. There is practically no difference. Both fly good and have a responsive strong flare, are a bit steeper and sometimes they just don't open well for no reason. If that does not bother you, you have my answer. I really have no clue why you would pay 1500$ for a 400 jump Sabre 2, when you can get a new Volt for the same price. 7-cells are different in flight they sink faster have a different feel to them which I personally do not like. But they are more predictable during deployment. You mentioned easy landing with Pulse? What does that mean? It is ADVERTISED as that but it comes down to your flying style. The flat glide and low response two-stage flare is very specific and very different. It has less stopping power than it's counterparts.

The main thing is you gonna grow out of the first few parachute sizes in a blink of an eye if you jump regularly, so really try to find good value gear at the beginning. You gonna have time to spend big money on CF 3, Valkyrie, whatever later in your skydiving career.

Edited by Maddingo
  • Like 1

(edited)
On 6/29/2019 at 2:36 PM, rugbyfan89 said:

yea, right now sized a rig for a 170 main that can hold up to a 190 and will hold a 190 OP reserve. I'm jumping 210s right now and will be right on the downsize train to 190 by the time this thing gets made and delivered. So planning this rig to be my ride for a good while. I'm not trying to jump a napkin into the swoop pond any time soon... or ever. I enjoy the freefall... not trying to worry about landings. 

The obvious answer is your instructors know you and your skill level and you should ask them. I personally think your suggestions are maybe a little aggressive. Others might disagree or back me up. I'm coming up on 160 jumps and I'm still on a 210 pilot that I downsized into coming off my A license. It puts me right at 1:1 or just a tad under pending what I eat and my activity level that month. I have the skill level to downsize into a 190 at the present time, but I'm not going to just yet because I only jump a few times a month (and the money isn't there). I bought my rig a couple of years ago close to my B license and it's sized for a 190/190. Take that for what it's worth.

Edited by rohicks
  • Like 1

Like you I have flown only rental and student gear until i bough my own rig. I know some say you're wasting money by buying a rig as a newbie but after factoring in how much I will jump (which turned to be a lot more than I thought) i am glad i did, rental fees + lift tickets + packing (for rental they only allow packers) add up very fast, especially if you plan on jumping a lot. 

Also when you buy make sure you get something that can be easily re-sold as to no be stuck with it.

To answer your original question, i got a Sabre 2 and I love it. Flies great and is fun to fly even at low wing loading (1.07:1), as mentioned deployment is a little rough at times and needs a good 800-1000ft of snivel, might want to adjust your deployment altitude. Only reason i say that is i normally pull at 3.8-3.5k but noticed on alti that its opened at 2.5-2.8K which in the case of a Mal would be cutting it short, so I started to pull at 4K to be safe.

Flare is great and landings improved but will take some getting used to the 2 stage flare.

Hope this helps.