Whysojumpy

Flare for the trees or head down into the parking lot

Say you’ve pulled all your handles and nothing has worked. You know you are going in. Would you get big and aim for the trees, mud, snow, etc... or would you just say fuck it and go head down into the landing area to make sure it’s over quick?

Not trying to be a troll/ offend, obviously your pretty done in both situations just curious what people’s philosophy is on it!

Edited by Whysojumpy

When I was a new jumper, I thought about this a little more than I do now. I realize now that I would be too busy fighting until the end to decide where to land.

Only if I completely came out of my rig would I expect to give up and decide where to land. I'd probably aim for the peas in that case. You would NEVER be forgotten if you hit the peas. In my rig-less scenario, it would be bad because people would assume suicide, which would (I sure hope) not be the case.

1 hour ago, SethInMI said:

Only if I completely came out of my rig would I expect to give up and decide where to land.  

There is the old joke that you should stick your alti/dytter/shoe up your *ss.

You'll be the subject of speculation around the bonfire for many years to come.

14 hours ago, Erroll said:

There is the old joke that you should stick your alti/dytter/shoe up your *ss.

You'll be the subject of speculation around the bonfire for many years to come.

I always heard take off one shoe and shove it down the front of your jumpsuit. It won't change the outcome, but the investigators will go nuts trying to figure out how it got there. 

As noted above, I will likely be too busy trying to fight the situation to pick a target (or take off my shoe, for that matter). 
If I can choose, I'm going for the swoop pond. It won't change the outcome (both because it's too shallow and because hitting water at terminal would be fatal). I'd just be going for the biggest cannonball ever.

• Like 1

I think if I had time, I'd loosen my chest strap, unzip my RW suit, pull it wide open to try to catch as much air as possible and aim for the trees or the mud.  Life is preferable to death, and if I have the remote chance of surviving and partial recovery, I'm going for it.  My wife knows the directive if I'm on life support.  I figure I could slow down to maybe 100-110.

There was a pretty gnarly story of someone impacting the runway in a track right in front of the packing area. They said that teeth were found imbedded in the runway. 

I think the beer light was probably on when I heard the story, so the details are somewhat vague. 

Kevin K. 

On 6/29/2019 at 2:13 AM, Cutaway68 said:

I always heard to aim for your riggers car!!

That's what I usually use to whuffo's to relieve the tension.

But last week a French jumper told me an even better one:

"Then I take out my gun and shoot my buddy, because I don't want to die alone".