1 1
gowlerk

Workplace shootings

I was going to just post this to the "mass shootings" thread. But it seems to have been hijacked and locked down like a school under threat.  This is not about a specific event, but a Marketplace series on the costs of killing machines being used on co-workers in America. The story claims that an average of about one person a day is killed while at work. Apparently " active shooter insurance coverage" is now a thing in America. That should say something I guess.

https://www.marketplace.org/collection/gun-violence-in-the-workplace/

Edited by gowlerk

Not really related, but I don't want to start too many threads. I came across this story about an FL woman who took her husband's killing machines and turned them into the police. While he was sitting in jail with an order not to possess guns. They charged her with stealing them. Unfuckinbelievable.

14 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Not really related, but I don't want to start too many threads. I came across this story about an FL woman who took her husband's killing machines and turned them into the police. While he was sitting in jail with an order not to possess guns. They charged her with stealing them. Unfuckinbelievable.

It's not like she just went home & got them out their bedroom closet. They were estranged & lived separately. She went to his apartment, searched for them, & took them.

15 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Does that make the police guilty of receiving stolen property?

15 hours ago, gowlerk said:

A friend of mine had their 8 year old daughter enticed inside by a 14 year old guy.  She left when the guy became creepy, and told her mom.  Mom considered going to the police but nothing really happened, so she went to neighbors and asked them about it.  They talked to _their_ kids - and turns out the 14 year old had assaulted another younger boy.

Police were called, 14 year old was arrested.  He was back at their house 2 days later playing outside.  My friend called the police and they said "well, he made bail.  You can get a restraining order if you want.  Call so-and-so."  So she did and asked for a restraining order against the 14 year old, which she got.

She is now being sued for revealing the name of a minor who was arrested for a sex crime.  For using his name while talking to the police station who arrested him.

The legal system is often misused for such things, with absurd results.

And along the lines of "it could only happen in Alabama:"

=======================================

Alabama woman loses unborn child after being shot, gets arrested; shooter goes free

Updated 11:41 AM; Posted Jun 26, 5:12 PM

AL.com

A woman whose unborn baby was killed in a 2018 Pleasant Grove shooting has now been indicted in the death.

Marshae Jones, a 27-year-old Birmingham woman, was indicted by a Jefferson County grand jury on a manslaughter charge. She was taken into custody on Wednesday.

Though Jones didn’t fire the shots that killed her unborn baby girl, authorities say she initiated the dispute that led to the gunfire. Police initially charged 23-year-old Ebony Jemison with manslaughter, but the charge against Jemison was dismissed after the grand jury failed to indict her.

The shooting happened about noon on Dec. 4, 2018, outside Dollar General on Park Road. Officers were dispatched to the scene on a report of someone shot but arrived to find the shooting victim – later identified as Jones - had been picked up and driven to Fairfield. Police and paramedics then found the Jones at a Fairfield convenience store.

Jones was taken from Fairfield to UAB Hospital. She was five months pregnant and was shot in the stomach. The unborn baby did not survive the shooting.

“The investigation showed that the only true victim in this was the unborn baby,’’ Pleasant Grove police Lt. Danny Reid said at the time of the shooting. “It was the mother of the child who initiated and continued the fight which resulted in the death of her own unborn baby.”

=====================

So shoot a pregnant woman in the stomach in Alabama, and you go free.  Be shot in the stomach and lose the baby, and go to jail.  This should make both the pro-lifer and the pro-gun wings of the Republican party pretty happy.

3 hours ago, billvon said:

Though Jones didn’t fire the shots that killed her unborn baby girl, authorities say she initiated the dispute that led to the gunfire.

Wow. Just wow.  This is just an extension of blaming a rape victim:

Victim: "I was attacked and raped as I was walking home from work."

Police: "Okay, we'll get to the bottom of this. Where was this, why were you there alone at night, and what were you wearing?"

8 minutes ago, TriGirl said:

Police: "Okay, we'll get to the bottom of this. Where was this, why were you there alone at night, and what were you wearing?"

And people wonder why women who are victims of assault don't go to the police.

53 minutes ago, TriGirl said:

Not exactly.

It's more like a 'felony murder' charge. That's where anyone participating in a crime is criminally liable for any death that may occur during the commission of the crime. 
These sorts of laws were put in place to hold the 'fringe' actors (lookouts, getaway drivers, ect) responsible for any death, even if they weren't in the room when the death occurred. 

Similarly, if someone starts a fight, and someone dies during the fight, the person who instigated it is often arrested & charged, even if it wasn't their actions that caused the death. 

I'd like to hear why the Grand Jury declined to indict the accused shooter.
I haven't found any specific reason, but some of the stories mention the fact that the pregnant woman attacked the shooter, and that the shooter's actions were self defense. 

If so, the shooter shouldn't be off the hook for the fetus. Self defense doesn't work that way. If someone shoots in (legitimate) self defense, but accidentally strikes a bystander, the normal result is the 'self defense' shooter being charged (negligent homicide or negligent use of a weapon).

• Like 1

(edited)
17 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

If its security - that's one thing.

Police?  WTF

They can make arrests and everything. 

Let's slow down, guys. It is a police force. Security can only make a citizen's arrest (just like anyone can). It's a megachurch (they have 4-20k followers) and within that they have a school. Since they cannot use public funds - it is their form of campus police. 

BTW: This isn't the first time a church has done this.   

Edited by BIGUN
BTW:

1 hour ago, BIGUN said:

Let's slow down, guys. It is a police force. Security can only make a citizen's arrest (just like anyone can). It's a megachurch (they have 4-20k followers) and within that they have a school. Since they cannot use public funds - it is their form of campus police. 

BTW: This isn't the first time a church has done this.   

Can't wait for the reaction when a mosque wants to establish a police force.

On 6/27/2019 at 10:19 PM, TriGirl said:

Welcome to Gilead.

5 minutes ago, normiss said:

patrol group or program

I understand your point. The point I was addressing within that discussion had more to do with "imagine if a Muslim mosque started a PD?" The amount of backlash they received from just having cars that "looked like" NYC police vehicles. 

On 6/26/2019 at 5:23 PM, gowlerk said:

Apparently " active shooter insurance coverage" is now a thing in America. That should say something I guess.

https://www.marketplace.org/collection/gun-violence-in-the-workplace/

I’m working on the design for some new university buildings at the moment and one of the systems going in is ‘gunshot detection’.

In a school.

Why doesn’t this situation seem insane to everyone?