jungle

How much do you know about your gear?

Hi all

I was wondering how much you know about the gear you’re owning. I have my own rig now since a while, but I’m realizing, that I know so little about it.

I don’t know how to change a canopy/the risers/the pilot chute/kill line…..I'm happy that I know how to change the loop. What do you think….how far should the knowledge of a fun jumper go? And how did you learn it? When did you learn it?  

Looking forward your answers!

(edited)

I’m not sure if a rigger is required for some of these tasks but. I changed my pilot chute and had a rigger check it afterwards.  (Not too difficult) I also changed my main with a rigger as well. (Definitely requires attention to detail) Both times I was confident I could have done it myself but I would prefer to have a second set of eyes on it

edit: I was the kid that took everything apart to see how it works so it didn’t take much for me to figure things out on my rig as it’s very easy for me to visualize how it works. YMMV

Edited by husslr187

YouTube is your friend. Pack your head with knowledge at home, then find someone (preferably a rigger) to supervise while you practice. it is worth the money to pay them for the help if they ask.

Excellent question btw. The more you learn, the more confident and self-reliant you will be.

On 6/19/2019 at 4:39 AM, jungle said:

What do you think

I have gone through several canopy downsizes both on my own and with a rigger to check/help. That involved removing old canopy from risers and toggles and pilot chute, packing it up and sending it off, then hooking up new canopy to risers and toggles and pilot chute, then adjusting toggle positions later to get the right flare/full flight performance. It is a process that requires care and it helps to have someone involved who knows what they are doing.

I have also hooked up demo canopies to my rig, which is of course much easier.

But I learned how to do both of these when I needed to do them. 

A lot. I always figured that it was a good idea to know as much as possible about the thing on my back that my life depended on. I also do most of my own work on my cars, so learning how stuff comes apart, goes together and works is not new to me.

Asking questions (learn who to ask and who not to ask - not everyone knows what they are talking about), watching stuff being done, even just looking at the gear. 

I also got my rigger ticket by taking the Para Concepts course a few years back. There was an incredible amount of information shoved at me in a fairly short time (classic 'drinking from a firehose' scenario). Yet that was just a beginning. There was (and still is) an incredible amount of stuff that I don't know. 

I would think that the 'average' jumper should know how to:

Change & adjust a closing loop.

Do a basic line check.

Unhook & reattach 3 rings (change over a canopy that is already on risers).

Probably a few other things that aren't at the top of my mind at the moment.

Others may have different opinions. That's fine. I'm usually willing to help out folks with simple stuff. And to show them how things work.

When becoming a CRW dawg I learned:

How to change/ swap out- canopies, risers, toggles, pilot chutes, bridals and closing loops.

Also how to- inspect a canopy and rig, lengthen brake lines with the toggle knot, add/ remove links from the rears and other non sewing mods to risers to make them easier to grab and fly with.

Preface with the fact that I am not a rigger.

You should know how to lube your cut-away cables and exercise your 3-rings, know how your rsl/mard system should be routed, know how to disconnect and reconnect risers and know how to do a complete line check .

Any more is useful, but not necessary for the average sport jumper. 

• Like 1