ZachTTerrell

Powered Parachute Jumping?

I have a fairly specific question.

My dad owns a 2-seater powered parachute and is licensed to fly it with passengers. He flies at a DZ with their permission, coordinating with them of course to stay out of the jumper's way. 

The info I've seen on jumping from PPCs is contradicting, so my questions are 

1) is it legal to jump from a powered parachute

2) what is the chance I'd be able to use the landing area at the dropzone (are there any laws against that)

3) would our best bet be going to a more remote PPC airport or would the structure of the dz since he already has the means to communicate with them while he's flying

First I have a question - How high can he get that thing?

Now, my answer to your questions. Your dad and the dzo should be able to figure the legalities, BUT...

At 22 jumps, you are nowhere NEAR ready to do this. Get AT LEAST a couple hundred jumps, then have local high experienced jumpers that you trust help you with the logistics. Please do not put your father through the trauma of being involved in your death.

(edited)
1 hour ago, ZachTTerrell said:

2-seater powered parachute and is licensed to fly it with passengers. 

Hi Zach,

Disclaimer:  I have jumped ( illegally ) from a 2-place ultralite; but, that was a very long time ago.

Does the PPC have an N number?  If it does not, then it seems to me that it would be illegal; training flights only.

You can always jump & take your chances.

Oh, and I have not kept up with changes in the FAR's regarding ultralites.

Jerry Baumchen

Edited by JerryBaumchen

2 hours ago, ZachTTerrell said:

I have a fairly specific question.

My dad owns a 2-seater powered parachute and is licensed to fly it with passengers. He flies at a DZ with their permission, coordinating with them of course to stay out of the jumper's way. 

The info I've seen on jumping from PPCs is contradicting, so my questions are 

1) is it legal to jump from a powered parachute

2) what is the chance I'd be able to use the landing area at the dropzone (are there any laws against that)

3) would our best bet be going to a more remote PPC airport or would the structure of the dz since he already has the means to communicate with them while he's flying

It is not legal to jump from a powered parachute.  

5 hours ago, dudeman17 said:

First I have a question - How high can he get that thing?

Now, my answer to your questions. Your dad and the dzo should be able to figure the legalities, BUT...

At 22 jumps, you are nowhere NEAR ready to do this. Get AT LEAST a couple hundred jumps, then have local high experienced jumpers that you trust help you with the logistics. Please do not put your father through the trauma of being involved in your death.

Yeah I didn’t plan on doing it anytime soon. I was just curious for future reference. I’ve been up with him to 5,000 ft but it can get up to 7 or 8 without a problem.