3 3
JerryBaumchen

Trump, the Great Orator

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 8:59 PM, Coreece said:

Come on people, it was a fucking 4th of July parade.

So fed up with all the bullshit coming from otherwise reasonable people on both sides.

American Independence is not limited to celebrating the military.  In fact, that should be an incidental acknowledgement in this whole remembrance. Where was the celebration of self rule?  Rule of law? The statesmanship that permeated the hall in Philadelphia where the colonial representatives got together and discussed/debated/hatched the idea, which evolved to a formal Declaration, of secession?  It wasn't just about killing people and burning stuff.  In fact, that happened later -- well after the signing of said Declaration on July 4, which is the basis for our celebrations on this date.

The military is celebrated enough on multiple other days of the year.  It should not be a political backdrop to a Presidential ego.  Incidentally, if said POTUS really wanted to honor and celebrate the military, why did he make so many of them WORK on what would have been a 4-day weekend? ¬¬

• Like 1

On 7/3/2019 at 6:20 PM, nigel99 said:

Fair enough. I’ll admit I’ve found it hard to follow his views at times and at times I’m not sure if he’s stirring the pot or genuinely  believed stuff. But for the most part while I usually disagree with his viewpoint, Turtle does seem to be one of a few people capable of genuinely shifting his position following debate on a topic. 

Wow - Thanks.

I the remarks are based upon the ability to believe that a mind can be changed.

I have altered my views several times with various topics.  For instance - The Death Penalty . . . I was compelled to try to justify my position, and in my research, I learned facts that were impossible to support my position with..  I read more about it - Now I am 99% against it - But I do think that there just are some people that still need to be done away with.  I have been confronted with teachable moments.  I have made mistakes and I have learned from them.

Its all the snarky ones that aren't able to do that.

They know everything already.

I remember when I used to know everything.

7 hours ago, TriGirl said:

American Independence is not limited to celebrating the military.

It should not be a political backdrop to a Presidential ego. 

I can appreciate the other points you made in the rest of your post, I just think people are blowing this whole thing out of proportion.  The celebration wasn't limited to the military and even then the military aspect of the whole thing was nothing even remotely close to what people were making it out to be.  And if it was so political, the money would've had to come from his campaign fund, right?  But it appears as tho he was very careful not to cross that line, but maybe I'm wrong.  Perhaps it's just time to move on, but I'm open to anything else you might like to add.

3 hours ago, Coreece said:

I can appreciate the other points you made in the rest of your post, I just think people are blowing this whole thing out of proportion.  The celebration wasn't limited to the military and even then the military aspect of the whole thing was nothing even remotely close to what people were making it out to be.  And if it was so political, the money would've had to come from his campaign fund, right?  But it appears as tho he was very careful not to cross that line, but maybe I'm wrong.  Perhaps it's just time to move on, but I'm open to anything else you might like to add.

This was overblown - but it was overblown by both sides. You can’t tell me that you don’t think that Trump didn’t secretly want a parade of tanks going down Main Street saluting him? He’d have had an erection the entire time! 

I think the problem is that military parades ordered by a leader are typically a hallmark of dictatorships, and with Trump buddying up to Kim Jong Un and Putin it’s hard not to draw parallels. That’s why it was blown out of proportion.

Fortunately, checks and balances created a compromise. One which was overblown by the far left in this case.

3 minutes ago, yoink said:

This was overblown - but it was overblown by both sides. You can’t tell me that you don’t think that Trump didn’t secretly want a parade of tanks going down Main Street saluting him? He’d have had an erection the entire time! 

I think the problem is that military parades ordered by a leader are typically a hallmark of dictatorships, and with Trump buddying up to Kim Jong Un and Putin it’s hard not to draw parallels. That’s why it was blown out of proportion.

Ya, and I'd say that many of the presumptions were based on that military parade he wanted a while back, but didn't get.

11 hours ago, TriGirl said:

why did he make so many of them WORK on what would have been a 4-day weekend?

When I was in the military we got comp time off at a ratio of 1 1/2 days off for one day overtime worked. We liked that deal - maybe the recent participants had a similar program.

3 hours ago, wan2doit said:

When I was in the military we got comp time off at a ratio of 1 1/2 days off for one day overtime worked. We liked that deal - maybe the recent participants had a similar program.

Damn, must be nice. Guess you didn't work a shop that had to provide 24/7 coverage regardless of manning and holidays.

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 2:25 AM, wan2doit said:

In my 29 years (so far), I have never seen this kind of compensation.  You had good leadership. 

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 10:24 PM, Coreece said:

He spent at least 5 minutes extolling the virtues of EACH military branch during his speech.  He only spoke for 40 minutes.  That makes more than half of his speech just talking about the service branches.  I don't know how much more he spent talking about the military as a whole.

I agree, he did stick to the script, so his remarks were not so egregious. The possibility that he would behave and stay on message was the very reason I did not agree with opponents staging demonstrations -- that, and if you want your accusations taken seriously, don't do the same thing (in other words, I would have preferred opposition groups had left the baby balloon and protest signs at home).

As for the cost -- his campaign hasn't finished paying for the cost of the inaugural events. As was noted in previous posts, the city had to spend more than anticipated because POTUS wanted to participate.  As for the military costs, those will be taken out of the defense budget (personnel are paid regardless, but travel, billeting, fuel, etc. are wasted expenses just for this). Because he was able to stay on message, you are correct -- his campaign would not have to pay for it.  Additionally, had he gone off script, with military equipment as the backdrop, he would have been guilty of campaign finance violations.