1 1
fcajump

Logging Software - revisited

Its been quite a while since I looked into logging software, and a quick search is not coming up with any recent discussions on it...

Recollection is that, despite several sites still selling L&B's Jumptrack, L&B has dropped support for it.  (yes?)

I've been reading up on Paralog, but have not used it.  (will pull the trial version soon)

Anyone using anything else for computer/phone logging of jumps?

JW

Edited by fcajump

I use ParaLog for all my logging (Import from a Neptune3), don't keep a written logbook anymore. Its good, has a lot of features I don't use like adding video/photos to jumps etc. But I do like the graphs so I can easily see how many jumps I've done with a specific team etc. 

We just flew a pair of dekunu altimeters on our rocket. I couldn't be more pleased. They gave us instant access to a great deal of data. this was particularly important as the flight went to shit. We were able to pull key data points out of the unit. We had to kind of hack them to get them to record the flight as we were using them well out side of normal skydiving paramiters. So far I am very excited about these units.

Lee

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RiggerLee said:

We just flew a pair of dekunu altimeters on our rocket. I couldn't be more pleased. They gave us instant access to a great deal of data. this was particularly important as the flight went to shit. We were able to pull key data points out of the unit. We had to kind of hack them to get them to record the flight as we were using them well out side of normal skydiving paramiters. So far I am very excited about these units.

Lee

If the folks making the Dekunu don't get hold of you for an advertisement, they are missing out!

(edited)

FWIW - 

I am moving forward with Paralog (at least for now).
I'm also drafting notes on how to convert jumps from JumpTrack to Paralog.  Not too bad, but it is frustrating that there is little instruction provided in the details that matter.

Now if I could find my Protrack data cradle/cable...  Got a couple hundred jumps on there during the time my Altitrack was laid up.  (anyone got one they don't need??)

JW

PS - if you have one, drop me a line.. 

Edited by fcajump
adding shameless appeal for cable...

On 7/3/2019 at 11:58 AM, fcajump said:

Looking back on this, I'll bump it up with the question as to whether anyone else has recommendations beyond Paralog.

While I now have my jumps over to it from JumpTrack, and it is (mostly) working, the lack of documentation, inconsistencies in how some of the features are supposed to work vs how they actually seem to (mostly not) work is frustrating.

I'll keep using it for now, just wanted to see what other software y'all are using (if any).

Among other features I'd like to have would be something that would link my video to the decent graph so as to easily see the graph move with the video.

JW

If you record GPS data somewhere you may try Dashware (http://www.dashware.net/dashware-download/) - it's free and can support multiple GPS formats. You can even build your own gauges.

I used it for overlaying GoPro's GPS data, although it was tricky and required first exporting the data from the video file via https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free/# and then linking it back in the app. App's development has been discontinued in 2015, it still works, but it's not always user-firendly.

Another bummer GoPro is slow to pick up GPS signal once it starts recording, so you may have data recorded starting from the middle of the jump

For basic stats you may use GoPro's moble app and simply put one of stickers they offer (but those are basic, unlike fully custom ones in Dashware)

GoPro 6 and later all have this feature enabled by default

• Like 1