jastevens82

Gear for a newbie

Hey All,

Looking for some outside info. Ive just recently got my A license and Im looking to start piecing a rig together. I am looking for info on growth into gear. I would like to purchase gear that I wont have to replace in a year. Im 6' 200 lbs. Im thinking of getting a 190 main as I believe that will ultimately be where I end up. I know thats more than the 1:1 wing load they say for beginners not to cross. Im not looking to be Johnny swoopsalot. Just looking for solid gear.  Im getting mixed opinions from my rigger and instructors. Thanks guys

Do you know what your exit weight with a rig with a 190 in it (along with an appropriate reserve)? 
Rigs with bigger canopies aren't light. 

Just an estimate, but I'd guess you'd be somewhere above 1.2:1.

Take a look at Brian Germain's downsizing chart (sticky in the swooping forum) and see how many jumps you should have before you go there. 

Get gear you can jump safely NOW. Not in 6 months. 

What are you currently jumping?

3 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Do you know what your exit weight with a rig with a 190 in it (along with an appropriate reserve)? 
Rigs with bigger canopies aren't light. 

Just an estimate, but I'd guess you'd be somewhere above 1.2:1.

Take a look at Brian Germain's downsizing chart (sticky in the swooping forum) and see how many jumps you should have before you go there. 

Get gear you can jump safely NOW. Not in 6 months. 

What are you currently jumping?

Thank you for that link. I just read a decent portion of that link and now understand where the problem with my instructors vs The  Master Rigger at the DZ. As I mentioned earlier, I will be piecing a rig together and renting in the meantime. I only mention that as it will take me a couple of months (4-6 im guessing) to possibly find the best deal I can, and If I have to shelve the rig until my skillset is where it needs to be, then thats what Ill do. I'm renting a rig for the season, so its not any more money to keep jumping the same rental rig. Even if I find it earlier, I'm very respectful of the sport, its mandates and a lot of the jumpers who have far more experience than I. My exit weight now is between 220-230 depending on gear used. If following Brians chart, that puts me right at the border between the 210 and 190 (within 50 jumps of each other). Which is why, I would love to hear from jumpers and their experiences.

6 minutes ago, jastevens82 said:

If I have to shelve the rig until my skillset is where it needs to be, then thats what Ill do

I have heard many jumpers say that but have never seen one actually do that. Don't underestimate the psychological pull that rig sitting on the shelf will have. Someone said buy the rig you are ready to jump now and I agree 100% with that. I have seen many jumpers downsize too rapidly and be just fine but also have seen a couple of jumpers permanently paralyzed doing that. It's just not worth the risk. Ultimately you have to live with the decision you make. It's much easier to live with the one that lets you keep walking. I don't know you and very little about you so this is very generic advice based on what I have seen being in the sport 33 years.   

• Like 1