tiger93rsl

Wind Tunnel

Question

I got my first AFF class in three weeks.  I made my first tandem in September and another in April.  I was going to wait until I got a new pickup before I started but I just couldn't wait any longer.  I guess it's in my blood, every time I'm outside on a nice day jumping is the only thing I can think about.  I was hoping to spend 10 minutes in the tunnel before my first AFF but I thought I would just wait and see how well I can control myself on my next jump.  I was wondering if any of you have spent time in a tunnel and think it would be a good idea for some tunnel time before ground school?

5 answers to this question

Most tunnels will teach you to fly flat to create lift so they can keep the airspeed lower and safer in the tunnel. Your AFF instructors will likely want you to fly with a strong arch to help with stability. 

I would suggest the Jumping so you at least learn it the way you’re instructor want  to learn first. After a few jumps you can find out what skills you need to work on and jump more or go to the tunnel. 

Flip side to the above reply is that doing the tunnel first may help avoid failing levels on the AFF and having to pay to repeat them.

If you do the general "tick the box on the bucket list" tunnel flying thing that people do, then it isn't as likely that it'll be suited as well for AFF, but if you make a point of letting the tunnel know that you are going to be doing your AFF soon, and are looking to get a good body position for that, they may be able to tweak things for you in your experience to suit the progression to AFF. 

Maybe get the first level or two out the way, then get some tunnel time for the later levels where your instructor will let go of you... I wish I did, as that would have saved me 3 or 4 repeat levels. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the input guys.  As to the first posters reply, the one thing that concerns me is the hard arch.  I am 44 years old and I have a bad back.  The lower two disk in my back are herniated and arching really had hurts my lower back.  I feel my back problems can prove to be a bit of a challenge in skydiving.  But it's nothing that I can't work out. 

3 hours ago, tiger93rsl said:

Thanks for the input guys.  As to the first posters reply, the one thing that concerns me is the hard arch.  I am 44 years old and I have a bad back.  The lower two disk in my back are herniated and arching really had hurts my lower back.  I feel my back problems can prove to be a bit of a challenge in skydiving.  But it's nothing that I can't work out. 

Once you gain full control, flying with a strong arch is not absolutely necessary as long as you can stay stable. I did had a lot more typed out about this but I don’t want to overload you with information. Your instructors have much more experience than I and should be able to guide you in the right direction.

Looking for a good deal on wind tunnel time now, not sure if you started AFF yet.... I really thought each level up til 4 or 5 would be a breeze but already having difficulty on level one, little bit of back issues as well but think that problem is more in my head than its negative impact on my arch. That being said I was super nervous about getting back in the sky (more financial reasons) than any but have a renewed sense of "hope" lol on passing the levels once I lock down some tunnel time.