2 2
turtlespeed

DNC Hopefuls

On 8/20/2019 at 12:30 PM, JoeWeber said:

So then really, what we need are 250,000 brave American couch surfers to move to a few key states, take up residency, register to vote, vote a straight D ticket and be the hero's who saved American democracy. If your tax obligations are zero wherever you file you are golden. Just 31 day's of vacation and then come home to the hero's welcome you'll so richly deserve. In fact, you can probably pull it off weekends only and never miss a class at college. It'll be just like going door to door except you've got your sleeping bag.

Maybe Tom Steyer will foot a $2000 per hero stipend to ease the pain, help out the hosts, pay for some gas and make it a fun trip. Half a Billion US Dollars later and our national nightmare will be over. Problem solved. 

Really, Florida is probably icing on the cake at this stage, so only 100,000 hero's should be enough to do the job. That's only $200 Million, quite likely less than the Russians paid.

Florida         No durational residency requirement. 29-day registration requirement before national election; 29-day registration requirement before first and second state primary. (Trump won by 144,445 votes. Electoral votes 29)

Michigan         30-day residency requirement. (Trump won by 13,080 Votes. Electoral votes 16)

Pennsylvania 30-day residency requirement. 30-day registration requirement. (Trump won by 68236 votes. Electoral votes 20)

Wisconsin 10-day residency requirement. Individual may also register on election day at polling place. (Trump won by 22257 votes. Electoral votes 10)

This is interesting: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/09/american-migration-patterns-should-terrify-gop/598153/

Apparently, Generations Y and Z  are already moving to where they definitely need to go. If it's only the cost of moving holding them back maybe that's where the money should be spent. I mean, does anyone not know at least one Millennial they wouldn't pay to be rid of? I didn't think so.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50340989

Billionaire businessman Michael Bloomberg is considering entering the race for the US Democratic Party's presidential nomination.”

Interesting and worrying that he thinks (as I do) that none of the current DNC hopefuls are strong enough to beat Trump. 

I’d be concerned about his age, but as someone who has been with both parties it would be great to hear Bloomberg’s policies - you’d hope it would be a bit more centrist than anyone else in contention and that’s exactly what we need.

1 hour ago, yoink said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50340989

Billionaire businessman Michael Bloomberg is considering entering the race for the US Democratic Party's presidential nomination.”

Interesting and worrying that he thinks (as I do) that none of the current DNC hopefuls are strong enough to beat Trump. 

I’d be concerned about his age, but as someone who has been with both parties it would be great to hear Bloomberg’s policies - you’d hope it would be a bit more centrist than anyone else in contention and that’s exactly what we need.

Sure thing, he's ideal. We just picked the wrong Billionaire last go around. Seriously, I welcome it because the entire field of DNC hopefuls are just people we hope will win if they get the nod. Also, I think he's unlikely to take any grade school bullshit from Trump, especially on a debate stage. Biden, I'm afraid doesn't present as very durable these day's and I fear the rest are all wishful thinking.

I think we need some more steam to get this thing moving.

1 hour ago, ryoder said:

Two weeks ago, Bill Maher had a very good critique of what is wrong with the Democrat candidate campaigns:

well, it's primary season, and you gotta get to be the nominee first. The always issue of the need to get the likely primary voters out and voting for you requires being away from center: inspiring, promising, demanding, riling up the base.

Then when you are the nominee, you pivot to center as much as you can get away with.

9 minutes ago, SethInMI said:

well, it's primary season, and you gotta get to be the nominee first. The always issue of the need to get the likely primary voters out and voting for you requires being away from center: inspiring, promising, demanding, riling up the base.

Then when you are the nominee, you pivot to center as much as you can get away with.

And once they get the nomination, every video clip and sound-bite from the primaries becomes fodder for the Trump campaign to paint them as radical.

3 minutes ago, ryoder said:

And once they get the nomination, every video clip and sound-bite from the primaries becomes fodder for the Trump campaign to paint them as radical.

They are simply trying to ruin his Apprentice White House show aren't they!

4 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Yep. And of course in a normal election, the dem nominee would be doing the same thing to their repub rival, trotting out evidence from the primaries that they are too conservative. But this isn't normal.

11 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Hi Robert,

In a 'normal' election year, I would agree.

However, I think that next year it will be simply a referendum on Trump:  Yes/No

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 1

On 11/8/2019 at 1:21 PM, SethInMI said:

That's still a second place strategy for the Primary, Bernie's move last election.  Everyone wants that fire that his supporters have but don't realize that the majority will choose a stable growing economy over being woke every time.

1 hour ago, timski said:

I firmly believe that in order to command our armed forces, having served in should be a presidential requirement. 

I agree only because they have a better understanding of what you're sending soldiers to do and to endure over political decisions.  Barring that every politician should spend serious time in Walter Reed Hospital.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, timski said:

Mayor Pete, but it's a long shot... For ALL THE REASONS! 

I firmly believe that in order to command our armed forces, having served in should be a presidential requirement. 

Run with it!   

By that rationale they should also have been an investment consultant, a healthcare professional, a teacher and an immigrant as well as about a million other things.

The US is more than just its military.

• Like 2

On 11/12/2019 at 7:35 PM, yoink said:

By that rationale they should also have been an investment consultant, a healthcare professional, a teacher and an immigrant as well as about a million other things.

The US is more than just its military.

and by that comment, I guess your a proud fucking civilian? (PFC) even non military may get it! 

Not trying to get your goat, just perspective, from someone who's walked A LOT of miles in my issued combat boots. ;)  

45 minutes ago, timski said:

#1.  I guess your a proud fucking civilian? (PFC) 

#2.  just perspective, from someone who's walked A LOT of miles in my issued combat boots.   

Hi tim,

#1.  That insult is uncalled for.  I suggest that you retract it.

#2.  Nothing wrong to be a proud veteran.  I am one.  However, our forefathers simply did not make that a req'ment for the office of the POTUS.  I suggest that you learn to live with it.

Jerry Baumchen

3 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi tim,

#1.  That insult is uncalled for.  I suggest that you retract it.

#2.  Nothing wrong to be a proud veteran.  I am one.  However, our forefathers simply did not make that a req'ment for the office of the POTUS.  I suggest that you learn to live with it.

Jerry Baumchen

I've learned to live with a lot of injustice sir.  Not exactly meant or directed as an insult. I do however see that it could read as such. I don't retract, I'm circumcised.  ;)    

3 hours ago, timski said:

and by that comment, I guess your a proud fucking civilian? (PFC) even non military may get it! 

Not trying to get your goat, just perspective, from someone who's walked A LOT of miles in my issued combat boots. ;)  

Walking a lot of miles in those boots seems to have narrowed your perspective a bit, and given you a bit of a chip on your shoulder to boot.

It's great that you've served. Thanks. It sucks that you seem to think you're better than a civilian because of it. 

While I think that soldiers do a really tough job that I wouldn't want to (or couldn't) do, I think that's true of a load of important positions for our society. In fact I'd rather be an infantryman than a highschool teacher...

But while the President is the CIC, he's not JUST the CIC. I'd argue that that's his least important role, in fact. 

We have experienced generals and admirals to lead our troops. The military is a formal hierarchy that eventually ends up at a limited number of responsible individuals. Society isn't like that.... it's a flat structure rather than a vertical one. The President is the leader of education. Of healthcare. Of immigration.

So your statement of insisting the president has military experience, while logical, is naive. He's not just looking after the military. He's looking after the COUNTRY and everything that that entails.

5 hours ago, yoink said:

...But while the President is the CIC, he's not JUST the CIC. I'd argue that that's his least important role, in fact. 

We have experienced generals and admirals to lead our troops. The military is a formal hierarchy that eventually ends up at a limited number of responsible individuals...

Given that we have the largest & most powerful military in the world, and insist on playing 'world policeman', it's a fairly important role. Maybe not domestically, but certainly from an international point of view.

The president has to be smart enough to know when to listen to the generals & admirals (know what he doesn't know).
Unfortunately, the current occupant of the position has convinced himself that he's 'smarter than all the generals'. 

On 11/8/2019 at 1:44 PM, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Robert,

In a 'normal' election year, I would agree.

However, I think that next year it will be simply a referendum on Trump:  Yes/No

Jerry Baumchen

I'm not so sure.  The first time, I wrote in Mickey Mouse (because I couldn't spell Condoleezza Rice and thought that a fictional cartoon rodent would make a better choice than either candidate) but Trump has delivered on taxes, fossil fuels, deregulation, judicial appointments and confronting China.  I personally think the man is a loathsome idiot but his policies are largely conservative boiler plate policies.  In a perfect world Trump would be impeached and removed from office and Pence would take his place.  Otherwise I will probably be forced to vote for him this time around.