2 2
turtlespeed

DNC Hopefuls

1 hour ago, TriGirl said:

So, back to the topic at hand...

Anyone have a comment about the recent conventions the Democratic hopefuls have recently attended?  I've seen some summaries, but as everyone has acknowledged, there are just way too many candidates to separate them out.  I would be interested to hear opinions of some of the not-as-well-known hopefuls and their proposals.  If they don't seem to stand a chance in this field, what else would you recommend they do to contribute?  Thanks.

I like some of the things that Bennet has going.

He votes - not just "present" . . .

I like that he was a school superintendent - That really goes in his favor for me.  I'd love to see more spending on school budgets.

Its early though.

3 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Second - I was referring to changing the US laws to those LIKE Amsterdam has

In order to propose that, wouldn't you want an understanding of what laws are actually in place in The Netherlands?

3 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Allow sales in coffee shops and boutiques.  Have smoking clubs - whatever - but change the laws first.

Yeah, those activities are actually illegal in The Netherlands. Illegal, but not punished if kept within certain parameters. Hence, if you want to advocate for the "Amsterdam model" in the US, you would actually advocate for people not following the law and for law enforcement not enforcing the law.

Until then - enforce the laws we have until they are changed.

Yeah, that would be very much unlike Amsterdam.

13 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

In order to propose that, wouldn't you want an understanding of what laws are actually in place in The Netherlands?

Yeah, those activities are actually illegal in The Netherlands. Illegal, but not punished if kept within certain parameters. Hence, if you want to advocate for the "Amsterdam model" in the US, you would actually advocate for people not following the law and for law enforcement not enforcing the law.

Yeah, that would be very much unlike Amsterdam.

So you are arguing - NOT for good change - but attacking how I think. . . gotcha.

Stay on topic please

Hmm - 

Well - I really dislike the obvious boast of relatively unachievable promises.

Biden is off the list unless he can come up with a difinitive plan and logistics to actually fulfill his promise on time.

I would reconsider if he guarantees resignation if his goal isn't met.

After all - its not everyone that claims they are going to cure cancer.

2 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

So you are arguing - NOT for good change - but attacking how I think. . . gotcha.

Stay on topic please

Well, no.   He's pointing out that the suggestion you made was based on a false premise.  "How you think" isn't wrong - just the information you got about Amsterdam.

43 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

No, I was trying to provide information so you wouldn't make a fool out of yourself. This is a prime example of being able to bring a horse to water, but not being able to make it drink.

1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

No, I was trying to provide information so you wouldn't make a fool out of yourself. This is a prime example of being able to bring a horse to water, but not being able to make it drink.

You are nit picking just to nit pick.

I'm pretty sure everyone reading the exchange, but you, understands the point.  

I'm not going to try to explain myself further. 

Hopefully, at the end of the day, you are just intentionally missing the point.  The alternative is much more disturbing.

Its one thing to be humorous, and deliberately misunderstand as a joke - quite another to be serious, as you seem to be.

1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:

You are nit picking just to nit pick.

You are advocating for the Amsterdam model and for people to just follow the law.

Indicating those two are mutually exclusive is not nitpicking, it is a fundamental mistake in your understanding.

And I guess it is very disturbing, cause I don't see a joke in here anywhere.

4 hours ago, billvon said:

Well, no.   He's pointing out that the suggestion you made was based on a false premise.  "How you think" isn't wrong - just the information you got about Amsterdam.

This is a situation in which both are neither right or wrong. Drugs are "illegal" in Amsterdam.They took a harder stance on all drugs, but turn a blind eye to the "soft drugs" like marijuana and hash. You can still buy mj & hash in a local coffee shop. 

2 hours ago, BIGUN said:

This is a situation in which both are neither right or wrong. Drugs are "illegal" in Amsterdam.They took a harder stance on all drugs, but turn a blind eye to the "soft drugs" like marijuana and hash. You can still buy mj & hash in a local coffee shop. 

I have used the word decriminalized - 

It has been ignored.

Similar is not the same - 

but anyway - I don't feel like chopping that block anymore.

I’ll admit I didn’t watch; am not sure whom I support. But it would be hard to say that Elizabeth Warren is not a serious and qualified candidate. She’s studied a lot of the issues and their causes, she’s picked the one she wants to focus on (the diminishing middle class). She’s spent the better part of her career studying it, and teaching about it at law school, where it’s by no means a natural subject. 

I’d like to see her as a running mate; the president should probably be more political. Really. Look at where being political got Johnson, Reagan and Clinton, and where not being that way got Carter and George HW Bush. 

Wendy P. 

20 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

I’ll admit I didn’t watch; am not sure whom I support. But it would be hard to say that Elizabeth Warren is not a serious and qualified candidate. She’s studied a lot of the issues and their causes, she’s picked the one she wants to focus on (the diminishing middle class). She’s spent the better part of her career studying it, and teaching about it at law school, where it’s by no means a natural subject. 

I’d like to see her as a running mate; the president should probably be more political. Really. Look at where being political got Johnson, Reagan and Clinton, and where not being that way got Carter and George HW Bush. 

Wendy P. 

I would rather see a more moderate as vice - 

You forgot to mention Trump in the last sentence - I am sure it was a minor oversight. ;P

1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

Be funnier if it actually said that. Translation bots aren’t perfect; Beto is saying “the freest things.”

knowledge actually counts  

Wendy P. 

Yeah, I dont speak Spanish, but the underlying question is "who is paying for all this free stuff"?

Warren at least discusses that.

And given that the deficit is growing hugely under the current administration, with rich people NOT trickling down and generating all that economic growth (yeah, it's healthy, but not that much of the money is going to the middle class, or to pay down the debt). I'm sure that if a democrat is elected you'll be all over the massive debt. 

Me, I don't like the debt either way; but at least I complained when democrats were in as well.

Wendy P.

US debt is growing like crazy. President gives free shit to a very select group of already rich people and it is applauded by Republicans. They use all kinds of ninja math to try and convince themselves it will be ok. Democrats propose actually helping people and Republicans get all up in arms wondering where the money is coming from.

I know, I don't have a vote. But I'm just wondering, is it just me or is Joe starting to look less and less attractive as he stumbles along with nothing much to say other than "I'm electable, I'm electable"? I'm starting to think of him as "Sleepy Joe". The Trump magic is working!

On 6/7/2019 at 2:52 PM, yobnoc said:

Everybody keeps saying Trump can't be beaten.  All it takes is 70,000 votes across three states who sat out last election.  Trump's base has not expanded by one vote. 

As for who I like: I'd like to see Pete Buttigieg get the nod.

So then really, what we need are 250,000 brave American couch surfers to move to a few key states, take up residency, register to vote, vote a straight D ticket and be the hero's who saved American democracy. If your tax obligations are zero wherever you file you are golden. Just 31 day's of vacation and then come home to the hero's welcome you'll so richly deserve. In fact, you can probably pull it off weekends only and never miss a class at college. It'll be just like going door to door except you've got your sleeping bag.

Maybe Tom Steyer will foot a $2000 per hero stipend to ease the pain, help out the hosts, pay for some gas and make it a fun trip. Half a Billion US Dollars later and our national nightmare will be over. Problem solved. 

Really, Florida is probably icing on the cake at this stage, so only 100,000 hero's should be enough to do the job. That's only $200 Million, quite likely less than the Russians paid.

Florida         No durational residency requirement. 29-day registration requirement before national election; 29-day registration requirement before first and second state primary. (Trump won by 144,445 votes. Electoral votes 29)

Michigan         30-day residency requirement. (Trump won by 13,080 Votes. Electoral votes 16)

Pennsylvania 30-day residency requirement. 30-day registration requirement. (Trump won by 68236 votes. Electoral votes 20)

Wisconsin 10-day residency requirement. Individual may also register on election day at polling place. (Trump won by 22257 votes. Electoral votes 10)

3 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

So then really, what we need are 250,000 brave American couch surfers to move to a few key states, take up residency, register to vote, vote a straight D ticket and be the hero's who saved American democracy. If your tax obligations are zero wherever you file you are golden. Just 31 day's of vacation and then come home to the hero's welcome you'll so richly deserve. In fact, you can probably pull it off weekends only and never miss a class at college. It'll be just like going door to door except you've got your sleeping bag.

Maybe Tom Steyer will foot a $2000 per hero stipend to ease the pain, help out the hosts, pay for some gas and make it a fun trip. Half a Billion US Dollars later and our national nightmare will be over. Problem solved. 

Really, Florida is probably icing on the cake at this stage, so only 100,000 hero's should be enough to do the job. That's only $200 Million, quite likely less than the Russians paid.

Florida         No durational residency requirement. 29-day registration requirement before national election; 29-day registration requirement before first and second state primary. (Trump won by 144,445 votes. Electoral votes 29)

Michigan         30-day residency requirement. (Trump won by 13,080 Votes. Electoral votes 16)

Pennsylvania 30-day residency requirement. 30-day registration requirement. (Trump won by 68236 votes. Electoral votes 20)

Wisconsin 10-day residency requirement. Individual may also register on election day at polling place. (Trump won by 22257 votes. Electoral votes 10)

I'm already a resident in Michigan.  I'm doing my part.  No payment needed.

38 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

It's going to be impossible to get 250K kids to move out of their parents basement...

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

That's fantastic. Would you be willing to host a few surplus Oregon Patriots for a month?

MoveThere.org?

And if they're from Oregon I can guarantee you'll get an excellent dog walker and won't need to take out the recycling the entire time.