2 2
turtlespeed

DNC Hopefuls

(edited)

It's a bit of a Hobson's choice for Democrats like me.

You've got Bernie, who I think will be every bit as divisive as Trump and will continue to push politics into ever more extremely polarizing factions, but I suspect has the potential to actually get his voters ACTUALLY OUT and voting on the day. Something Democrats have struggled with in the past. 

Or you've got Biden, who comes with so much Obama baggage that it'll enervate the Conservative voters and I suspect a lot of the younger Bernie ones simply won't bother voting for as he very much represents a status quo.

Or you've got Bloomberg who is probably the most centrist candidate with the possibility to gain moderate votes from both sides, but comes with massive electoral issues from 'stop and frisk', to the 'suggested abortion' stuff and obviously his wealth. All of which will be a turn off to left leaning voters.

It's a bit of a mess, for me, at least.

Edited by yoink

(edited)
1 hour ago, ryoder said:

Another one bites the dust: Amy Klobuchar

Hi Robert,

IMO by the end of this week*, it should be just down to two with any chance of getting the nomination.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  * I expect Warren to 'bite the dust' about then.

PPS)  'Amy Klobuchar is heading to Dallas to share a stage with the former vice president on Monday night, while Pete Buttigieg is reportedly on the verge of announcing his endorsement as well.'

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51710945

Edited by JerryBaumchen

(edited)
1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

Why are progressive now turning on the most progressive in the race?   

Do you ever get tired of applying labels to people? 

What are you defining as 'progressive'? Who are the 'progressives' in your statement?

Edited by yoink

11 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Progressive, Liberal or as you like to label, "left leaning"

Because you are right leaning, do you always support the most right wing candidate with the most right wing policies possible? I think you don't, and I think you know that you don't. I also think you know this applies to those on the left the same as it applies to you.

I don't know what it is you're trying to gain by pretending to have such a simplistic view of politics.

3 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Just ask Chris Mathews what progressives turning on progressives feels like.

You are jumping all over the place. Is there an actual point?

Are you seriously surprised people don't always agree with the outer edges of their party? Logic would dictate you then support the outer edges of the right wing. Is that what we are supposed to take away from your comment/question?

6 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

You are jumping all over the place. Is there an actual point?

Are you seriously surprised people don't always agree with the outer edges of their party? Logic would dictate you then support the outer edges of the right wing. Is that what we are supposed to take away from your comment/question?

Wait.  Who is it you are saying are on the outer edges of your party?

35 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Wait.  Who is it you are saying are on the outer edges of your party?

I am not. The statement was "progressives turning on most progressives". Are you trying to say that "most progressive" is not on a outer edge?

11 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

I am not. The statement was "progressives turning on most progressives". Are you trying to say that "most progressive" is not on a outer edge?

11 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Not at all.  I was just trying to learn who you thought was on the outer edges.

9 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Klobuchar is out with 7 delegates Buttigieg is out w 26, yet Warren stays in w only 8?  Looks like Tom Perez is pulling some strings behind the screen.

Why? It’s up to the candidates whether they withdraw or not. They could roll all the way through to the convention with no delegates at all if they can deal with the embarrassment.

Speaking of which, it is quite impressive how thick skinned you are. You say something stupid about supporting the most left wing candidates and have no comeback when challenged on it, so you just pivot straight onto the next stupid thing. Not a shred of self consciousness, it’s like water off a duck’s back. Good life skill.

58 minutes ago, jakee said:

Why? It’s up to the candidates whether they withdraw or not. They could roll all the way through to the convention with no delegates at all if they can deal with the embarrassment.

Speaking of which, it is quite impressive how thick skinned you are. You say something stupid about supporting the most left wing candidates and have no comeback when challenged on it, so you just pivot straight onto the next stupid thing. Not a shred of self consciousness, it’s like water off a duck’s back. Good life skill.

I was a Ted Cruz guy, I don't know where you would put him on the spectrum but I don't know of any candidates to the right of him.   

1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:

Beeeeeee. . . .cause  . . . . he's not Justin?

Or does Brent answer for everyone here?  He's the new progressives spokesperson?

Should I ask him about what you believe as well?

Beeeeeeecause as has already been pointed out Justin’s post was simply a general point in response to Brent’s post about a specific individual. You are actually asking Justin about what Brent believes. And since you’ve just pointed out that asking one person about the position of another is a dumb thing to do.... why aren’t you asking Brent?

7 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I was a Ted Cruz guy, I don't know where you would put him on the spectrum but I don't know of any candidates to the right of him.   

So why did the conservatives turn on the conservative? Why didn’t all the right leaning people vote for Ted Cruz if he was the most right wing candidate? 

1 hour ago, jakee said:

So why did the conservatives turn on the conservative? Why didn’t all the right leaning people vote for Ted Cruz if he was the most right wing candidate? 

They probably did.  They were outvoted by the stupid ones who believed the con-man.

6 minutes ago, kallend said:

They probably did.  They were outvoted by the stupid ones who believed the con-man.

As I have said before I have changed my opinion since the last presidential election but I really don't think I am stupid.

3 minutes ago, Rick said:

As I have said before I have changed my opinion since the last presidential election but I really don't think I am stupid.

Did you vote for Trump in the primary as well? I can sort of understand how a conservative could vote for Trump over Clinton. But how Rs picked Trump as nominee is beyond me.

(edited)
15 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Did you vote for Trump in the primary as well? I can sort of understand how a conservative could vote for Trump over Clinton. But how Rs picked Trump as nominee is beyond me.

I am registered as an independent. I often vote Republican but I have voted Democrat.

In Florida you must be registered for whatever party to vote in the primary.

edited to add: I would not have voted for Trump if I could have voted in the primary.

Edited by Rick