CoolBeans

DOM - date of manufacture, does that matter for canopy?

I'm interested in purchasing Spectre canopy, most likely around 190 sqft. I'm freshly off AFF with approx 190lbs exit weight. I noticed that there are spectres 10+ years old as well as 1-2 years old. Are they exactly same canopies?

For example, 2009 Camry vs 2018 Camry are different cars with many different components. Is canopy design changed year to year while keeping the same name like it happens in car industry?

(edited)

Yes the canopy can change over time. Whether the Spectre has changed I do not know. That would be a question for the manufacturer. However, unlike cars, canopes are not likely to change that much. The changes are probably going to be a bit more subtle in most cases and major changes like complete planform changes would usually institute a new model entirely.

Edited by 20kN

(edited)

The Spectre hasn't changed at all, 2002 vs 2018 shouldn't make a difference.

But beware of correct jump numbers on the older canopy and show it to a rigger if in doubt.

very often have I seen advertised 200 jump "closet queens" become 800+, once I had hands on the canopy.

Edited by Pobrause

5 hours ago, Pobrause said:

and show it to a rigger if in doubt.

Yes yes yes. I'd have a rigger inspect any used canopy before making the sale final.  Even a newer one with "50" jumps on it.  Never know how the canopy has been cared for.