2 2
jastevens82

Tipping your AFF instructors

There was a significant discussion on this several years ago, but I'm having trouble finding it with a search. Most Instructors wouldn't treat you any different if you tipped or not. Many would accept a gracious offer. If you offer and one turns you down; please don't be offended. Some choose to keep their students at arm's length. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, timski said:

Tips are for the one and done's. BEER however is ALWAYS welcome!  

I feel the same. To me, tips are for TI's, or the AFF student who really just wanted a single jump not hooked to someone. If you are actually learning to skydive, your AFF is really an instructor / teacher and not tipped. I wouldn't tip a college professor.  But if you appreciate their efforts, let them know, get them water on a hot day, get their favorite beer when you buy beer, etc.

1 hour ago, Millstone said:

Your AFF Instructor is much more highly skilled, gets paid less, and spends way more time with you than a TI.. yes, a tip is well appreciated and deserved.  

Ya, but is also too lazy to do the hard work of tandem. There's a reason why tandem pays better.

On 5/28/2019 at 4:12 PM, gowlerk said:

Ya, but is also too lazy to do the hard work of tandem. There's a reason why tandem pays better.

I don't agree with that. I never got my TI because I didn't need the money. I teach AFF because I get joy out of teaching skydiving to new students. A good AFF instructor puts in a ton of work and is definitely not lazy.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2019 at 5:47 PM, jacketsdb23 said:

I don't agree with that. I never got my TI because I didn't need the money. I teach AFF because I get joy out of teaching skydiving to new students. A good AFF instructor puts in a ton of work and is definitely not lazy.

Good, then you don't need the tip either. I know that AFF instructors have a more technically difficult job requiring more skills. But TIs work harder physically and are more likely to need the money. I respect AFF instructors immensely.

On 5/24/2019 at 4:33 PM, jastevens82 said:

So I just began my AFF journey and I had a question on proper etiquette? I know its a nice thing to do but is it customary to tip your AFF instructors? Or is it cooler to just buy them a beer and a burger at the end of the day?

No.  You're peers and student/teacher.  This isn't a tipping situation.

You can if you want, but it's not expected at most DZs. I've worked at a DZ or two (as a TI) where tipping was the norm. But even there I think AFF students were NOT expected to tip. Tandem passenger = customer being served. AFF student = future skydiver and friend. 

I tipped several of my AFF instructors even though they said I did not need to. I brought in snacks and stuff everytime I came out. I had a fun D1 jump that I failed first attempt and my instructor earned that tip!

I think i agree with the overall consensus, if after your instructor jump as a student you feel an inclination to tip your instructor then you should do so. they do not expect you to do it but if you feel like it should be done you are a better judge than any of us here on the internet.

A beer and a Burger when jumping is done was my approach. Gave me an opportunity to gain additional insight while sitting around chatting with my instructor assigned to me that day. Created a learning environment that was a lot less stressful and overwhelming.