1 1
tred

Free Fall survivor legends

5 hours ago, tred said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Fall_survivors

There are a couple people on the list who supposedly survived terminal velocity impact.

anyone actually believe there’s any truth to this? 

Truth to the list you posted?  It's fairly well supported.

Truth to the idea that people _here_ have survived going in with nothing out?  Outside of Gary Connery, I've never heard of anyone.  (And he didn't hit at terminal anyway.)

16 minutes ago, billvon said:

Truth to the list you posted?  It's fairly well supported.

Truth to the idea that people _here_ have survived going in with nothing out?  Outside of Gary Connery, I've never heard of anyone.  (And he didn't hit at terminal anyway.)

I'm pretty sure Luke Aikins hit at terminal, (although the net was even softer than Gary's cardboard boxes).

Many of those landed on a steep slope with deep snow or trees to cushion the impact. 

The Serbian flight attendant had the above, plus a large section of the aircraft to slow her fall.

They happen. They don't happen a lot more.
It's along the lines of winning a big lottery. 

12 hours ago, billvon said:

...Outside of Gary Connery, I've never heard of anyone.  (And he didn't hit at terminal anyway.)

Wasn't there a wingsuiter that survived a no pull when he crashed into trees?  His vertical velocity may not have been typical free fall speeds, but total velocity speed must have been pretty fast; as was, I would guess, Connery's as well. (I would assume that Connery's speed can be determined from the video; did that ever get revealed?)

11 minutes ago, Divalent said:

Wasn't there a wingsuiter that survived a no pull when he crashed into trees?  His vertical velocity may not have been typical free fall speeds, but total velocity speed must have been pretty fast; as was, I would guess, Connery's as well. (I would assume that Connery's speed can be determined from the video; did that ever get revealed?)

Eric Dossantos

Arch Deal. Lived across the street from him In Tampa when I was a kid. in 66. TV news guy. Talked to him in 2002. He jumped Zhills in the early days. Went in twice. Just looked him up. He started a big co. and is still jumping. Ole Zhills guys prolly know him.

On 5/28/2019 at 2:06 AM, akarunway said:

Arch Deal. Lived across the street from him In Tampa when I was a kid. in 66. TV news guy. Talked to him in 2002. He jumped Zhills in the early days. Went in twice. Just looked him up. He started a big co. and is still jumping. Ole Zhills guys prolly know him.

Went in with nothing out?:(

I was on the drop zone in Perris, CA when a young woman "went in" in the late 70's or very early 80's.  It had been raining for several days and she hit the side of the sewage treatment treatment pond.  Other than stunned and covered in mud she survived without ever having deployed a parachute.  Did I say "mud"?  Well mostly mud.